News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Camping near the Faire

Started by robert of armstrong, April 15, 2009, 01:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert of armstrong

My wife and I (along with a small invading force) are coming to the Faire from Barrie, Ontario on the July 18th weekend.  We have a new baby, so REAL camping is not in the cards, but we were looking at two places that have camping (for the rest of our group) and small cabins for us.

The two that are sticking out to us are Sutters Creek and Sterling Creek.  Has anyone ever been to them?  We have heard horror stories about reserving little cabins at campgrounds only to have them end up being plywood shacks.

Any help?
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

SterlingFan

Hi !

My family has reserved a RV camping site at Sutter's Creek in Sterling for the 4th of July weekend.  I asked on my Festival Friends MySpace & received several good reviews for Sutter's Creek , here's the link: http://www.suttercreekcampground.com/  They have two (real) cabins that you can see pics of on their site but I think they are pretty pricey !

Best of luck !
Home Faire: Sterling Renaissance Festival

"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here !"

Cobaltblu

I have never camped in this area but am considering camping when I come to Sterling this summer in one of the local campgrounds.  I don't think I need a cabin but some of the sites seem to have hot showers, which is a must.  I'll be hanging in my hammock or using my tent.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

irish

Hi! If you go to this link, you can find a list of hotels in the area. Oswego is the closest to faire. 
http://calhotels.us/new-york/oswego.html

there is also a cabin rental place across from lake ontario. also in oswego.
http://www.sunsetrvpark.net/photos.html

fair haven state park is another place to camp in tents and cabins. it is fairly close to the faire, but reservations should be made well in advance.
http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=34

or just google Oswego County Campgrounds/Cabins.

hope this helped!
irish
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

ALS

Might want to check on the opening date of the Fairhaven State Park. Part of  NYS " cutting spending " ( while miraculously increasing spending almost 9% and raising our taxes to boot) is opening all state parks I believe its soemthing like 4-5 weeks later than normal and not staying open as late according to the news.

robert of armstrong

Quote from: SterlingFan on April 15, 2009, 02:21:58 PM
Hi !

My family has reserved a RV camping site at Sutter's Creek in Sterling for the 4th of July weekend.  I asked on my Festival Friends MySpace & received several good reviews for Sutter's Creek , here's the link: http://www.suttercreekcampground.com/  They have two (real) cabins that you can see pics of on their site but I think they are pretty pricey !

Best of luck !

We went with Sutters Creek.  Thanks for the input.

The smaller cabin was already taken, so we have the bigger one.  Sleeps 6, loft with two beds, bedroom with bunk beds, futon in the living room.  Also has kitchen w/table, coffee maker, microwave, stove!!  Some who were thinking of camping are now wanting to be under an actual roof, so we will be able to spread out the cost of the $400 for three nights stay.

We will be arriving Friday July 17th, attending the Faire on the Saturday, seeing more of the area (and hopefully the Faire again) on Sunday, departing on Monday.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

SterlingFan

You're welcome !  The cabin sounds great !  Have fun !

Tygrkat

I was wondering who was definitely planning to camp this season, where, and which weekends?

My husband and I are talking about camping this season, but we haven't decided where or exactly when yet - even though Syracuse is only 45 mins - 1 hour from Sterling, it can feel A LOT longer at the end of the day - plus, it'd be great fun to continue the revelry off-site & after-hours with other Sterling folk!

;D
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

SterlingFan

photomike

I will be camping with some friends but I will be hanging out at Sutter creek.
*links and URLs not allowed in signature* - Admin

SterlingFan

Quote from: photomike on July 01, 2009, 01:22:47 PM
I will be camping with some friends but I will be hanging out at Sutter creek.
Hey Mike !  Haven't been seeing you around myspace lately.  I'm glad you'll be hanging out at Sutter Creek !  See ya this weekend !

Tazworth

Just for future reference. Sterling Creek Campgrounds is not a bad place to stay either. We stayed there for 10 years till we moved out here. Plenty of Rennies stay there, especially in the back in the area known as The Snake Pit or sometimes Weasel Wood. They are about 4-5 minutes from Faire just like Sutters Creek. Sterling Creek's number is 315-947-6163. They have a bar there now and I believe have breakfast and dinners for sale.
Brett aka Tazworth
Founder of Family of Faire

Tygrkat

Hmmmm...it looks like I'll just have to consult with the Mr. and see which site has spaces available on the weekend we want to camp  ;)

50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

MMario

RE: STerling Creek
The Breakfasts start next weekend - I forgot to check and see if they will be doing dinners this year.

I hope so - it is *so* much more convenient!

MMario

unixgeek

We have a seasonal site at Sutter Creek - it's a wonderful campground!

Just look for the pirate flag on the Privy up on the hill - we're parked next to it.

We have a great group of Rennies camping with us.

Jim P...