News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

CRF handicap access

Started by a10co11, July 12, 2009, 01:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a10co11

Would appreciate any information on what it would be like for a person in a wheelchair to navigate the festival.  I know it will be a lot of dirt and mud if it rains but how are the hills and access to the shows and the eating establishments?  Thanks.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Not to scare you off but some of the hills like the one to Puke and Snot stage are steep. I have seen people in wheel chairs navigate them usually with assistance or with motorized. Parking is very good for handcap and is right up near the gates. There are many food establishments and the main one is still not to far up a hill. There are others that are easier to get to. Once again Puke and Snot show is the hardest to get to but not impoible with assistance of someone pushing you up to it.

Hope this helps
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Radu the Gypsy

CRF Can be managed in a wheelchair, but, much like Lady de Laney said, its not easy.  The greatest danger is that, especially when there has been rain during the week, there care rather deep rivulets that can not only catch, but often tip you into the dirt.  It is really not a faire to navigate without assistance.

On the plus side, people will rush to your aid should you find yourself in a spot of difficulty. 

Saber

having had to push my lady around the site on opening day, I can say, officially, in my opinion, and for the record...

this faire is not wheelchair friendly, even going downhill is tough.  if you need to go uphil for any reason, be prepaired to walk a little bit to pass the roughest spots.

the central area (globe stage, pirates pub, washing well stage, rose stage and most of the food) is pretty okay to manage, but if you want to see the joust or puke and snot, then you are going to have a tough time on one end of the trip or the other.

tree roots, water-ruts in the dirt, rocks, inconsiderate-passers-by.... and lets not forget that the faire itself is built in the foothills of a mountain...

so, in answer... YES it is doable, but damn does it suck

Hey- Arent You?

Yup, it's tough.  CRF has worked very hard to make the place accessable, and I believe is in full ADA compliance.  That being said, we are on the side of a mountain.  all of the above mentioned should be considered.  most walking paths are underpaved where they can be.  most shops are either fully accessable, or will happily carry things out to you.  stages all well accessable and stages have marked ADA seating as to most eating areas.  We see many many patrons in chairs and they get around OK, but care must be taken and careful consideration of the right path is a must.  I would definitely not try it alone.... and I would deffinately not stay away.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Platt

My Father occasionally goes to CRF in a motorized wheelchair/scooter.   It's a three wheeled conveyance...   He does not seem to have much trouble, although quite a few of the booths are raised, which causes some problems for those who are totally wheelchair-bound.   He can walk, with a cane, for short (stressed SHORT) distances, so he usually parks his scooter as close as he can and walks.

I'm always worried when he turns around that it will tip, because the hills are steep.   Also, 90% of the food vendor counters are above the height of a person sitting in chair.  (Yes, there are places that are wheelchair accessible.... but those are limited)

Most of the stages, and other areas of performance are accessible and viewable by persons in wheelchairs;  with that said, I agree... Puke-N-Snot stage will be a pain to get to. 

Most of the restrooms do have one or two stalls that are wheelchair accessible;  I would suggest find one that has a building as opposed to the "Port-o-privy"

So, it's doable....  but I wouldn't suggest it unless you have a motorized wheelchair, or someone hefty who will assist.

That being said... there are MANY chivalrous people at faire who will assist someone up a hill, or help navigate a wheelchair if necessary.
Bouncy Bouncy *Thump*  OW!  Platt's Nose!

Tanda

Yes, seconding all the above. I was the pusher of wheelchair for a few years at faire - and other places - and it's totally doable. It's a great workout too! :) I actually thought the worst part was the cobblestones. On the plus side, there aren't really doorways to navigate.

(FYI: The easiest bathroom to get in and out of with a wheelchair - or hoopskirt - is the one next to the Children's Realm by the Joust Field. )
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)