News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wing Construction?

Started by bellevivre, July 14, 2009, 03:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

that is a SERIOUSLY brilliant idea!!!

you could take that the opposite direction and do a big set, and the channels thinner, like veins, with larger spaces glued together- when pumped, wings would go from folded to expanded- AWESOME!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Trillium

Got faerie dust?

LadyShadow

Wow, wonderful wings.  I want some now.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Hoowil

Where does one get large sheets of mylar? I would love to (eventually) play with this idea. Or maybe with a pearlescant vinyl (absolutely no idea where to find that either, or if it exists). I do have almost an entire bolt of clear vinyl....
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Pascal

My brother-in-law came up with the mylar.  I think he got it at a hardware store (like Lowe's or Home Depot) -- not sure, though.

My original idea was to go to a model airplane hobby shop and buy some rolls of Monocoat.  This is a mylar-like material, but comes in all sorts of colors and finishes.  RC modelers use it for their airplanes (don't use tissue and dope anymore).  Neat thing about Monocoat is that you can "iron" it to seal it ... you don't have to glue it.  I had planned on ironning in the "channels" ... but never got to try it because of the mylar.

If I did it again, I think I'd seriously give the Monocoat a try -- It comes in really wide rolls (like wrapping paper), so you could make some nice proportioned wings.

bellevivre

This monocoat sounds like it could work with the cellophane wing construction method? Going to have to investigate that!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Pascal

One thing about monocoat that may or may not be helpful -- it shrinks when you apply heat (like from a strong and hot hair dryer) ... kind of like shrink wrap.  If your frame is firm enough, this would be a great way to get a tight and wrinkle free fit.  If you shrink it too much, it can warp your framing, so just be careful when you do it.

Beautiful Dreamer

Dunno about mylar, but cellophane can be found in rolls @ Hobby Lobby.

Pascal

Just realized I mis-spelled "MonoKote" as "MonoCoat".  MonoCoat is some kind of wood stain -- "MonoKote" is the mylar-like material used by airplane modelers and would be a good material for wing construction!

You can see the colors and finishes available at http://www.monokote.com -- most airplane hobby shops carry this material as well.  Check out the transparent and pearl finishes as well -- I think they'd work really well for wings.

CatAshtrophy

Pascal, what a great idea. Thanks for including the link. I hope to try this some time.

gypsylakat

is there perhaps a plastic spray on that is pearlescent? youd need something that could be folded etc. without cracking
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."