News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How do you get your off season fix?

Started by bellevivre, July 15, 2009, 10:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

It's called GHOST Chronicles- Phantom at the Renaissance Faire, and it's available at Big Fish Games
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Rhiannon

Now that I'm a member of this board, I can get my fix by coming here. I also read "Renaissance" magazine and ogle all the photos in it or look at various websites. Listening to music helps too. And also I watch movies like "Braveheart" and the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies and remember all the good looking men I saw at the faire dressed in their kilts or in pirate garb.

Ditzy Gypsy

I comb craft stores like Joann's and Michaels for sale fabric and notions, bid on vintage middle eastern jewelry on eBay, and order folkloric patterns on Amazon for that next addition to my costume. The rest is spent sewing and choreographing dances with my friends. ^_^

LadyAsh

I browse some renaissance garb online and sometimes research about the period. I also play medieval/fantasy games like Oblivion or Stronghold 2. Listening to the Renaissance Festival podcast by Marc Gunn helps as well as talking to other rennies about fun times at faire and planning what to do for next season.
"Love can make a summer fly, or a night seem like a lifetime." -Andrew Lloyd Webber

BubbleWright

Besides watching period movies on DVD, I peruse old threads on the various Renaissance/Renfaire forums to which I belong. It's a good way to relive previous seasons, revisit friends and possible friends, and renew my faith in mankind because Rennies are good people. I was terribly saddened when the old Forum went down down in flames... there was a lot of heart there.
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

lady M

I have 5 months between faires. When TRF ends to when Scarby starts. Then from when Scarby ends to the start of TRF.  It takes me a few days to get over the end of faire, You can say I'm in a state of disbelief that it's over.    :o     It breaks my heart to put our ren things away.   :'(    I, just like everyone else here I watch period movies. I love to watch season 1 and 2 of the Tudors. Listen to CD's I bought from faires. Read my Renaissance Magazines over and over. Visit website that sell garb and things. Go to Hobby Lobby, Joann's, and Micheal's always buying something for future garb. My son's girlfriend and I go to this area in north Dallas where there are these warehouses that sell mountains of fabric. Buying swatches for ideas.

**aaaah, the dreams of pretty garb runs thru my head**

Sometime before the end of this month we'll be getting our camping gear ready in the garage. Then next month make sure our garb is packed. Then just a few days before leaving for TRF I'll buy the food. 

It's all the little things, this forum, my family, friends and planning for faire that helps me survive.

DonaCatalina

Watch Elizabeth, Mad Love and Dangerous Beauty
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

ArielCallista

to get my faire fix i usually just make garb/accessory things I may never wear...lol...usually out of scrap fabric from other projects...ive been working pretty much non stop on one big project since christmas...so thats definitely helping...
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Carl Heinz

Simple for us.  A number of folks at faire are personal friends and we maintain contact throughout the year.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Lairde Guardn

What is an off season ?  I guess I am just lucky as I don't really have an off season, between local gatherings in NC, and the M'Crack Family Gathering Schedule, I am at at least one faire every month and another Irish, Scottish or Celtic Games, Dinner or Music event every month as well. 
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Noble Dreg

I put on a pair of tights and pour a goblet of mead.  Pop in a Blackmore's Night CD ("Renaissance Faire" of course).  A friend comes over dressed up in a pair of denim shorts and a "Wenches Want Me" T-shirt (gotta have 'danes' to get the experience of fair).  Another friend stops by wearing jeans and a chainmail shirt over his bare pot-belly.  His wife sports a VS bodice two sizes too small.  I dress up the dog like a Jester and the cat gets fairy wings.  We order Dominoes and yell to the pizza delivery girl "Wench, pray thee, why thou be 30 min late"?  Next we go out onto the front lawn and have a joust with our light sabers and shout "Huzzah" to any who pass by.  Then at sunset we fire off a cannon to close the day.

If you want you can move in and join us, lot of houses for sale in my neighborhood...Lord I miss fest.
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Anna Iram

LOL...please tell me that was a jest.... :D

...and in keeping with the above post...I wait for a really hot day, I turn off the air to the bathroom, fill the toilet with blue dye and don't flush all day.

Noble Dreg

Quote from: Anna Iram on February 19, 2010, 12:47:39 PM
...I wait for a really hot day, I turn off the air to the bathroom, fill the toilet with blue dye and don't flush all day.

So you have been to our house!

Gross, danged funny but gross.   ;D
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Craigmeister

I usually check out these posts, look for new Renfest websites & work on my own site.  I'm now on the board for Tulsa's King's Champion Medieval Faire.  We have monthly planning meetings so I get a good fix there.  A good period movie or 4 over the winter helps sustain me as well.  My last 1 was the Fellowship Of The Ring.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

kcdcchef

what webcams, which faire, how do i see them? i never knew any faires had webcams!! great.

for me, i actually enjoy not getting too much a fix during the offseason. i really enjoy posting, talking with other rennies, and doing occasional fixes at celtic flings and irish flings here and there. then just let the anticpation build up and then i can enjoy the faire that much more.