News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

'Fluffy' Faeries

Started by bellevivre, July 15, 2009, 10:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

I have always wanted to be a faerie... but faeries are so ofte invisaged as being on the slender side, which, even if i lost 50 lbs, I still would never be! So, ideas for a 'fluffy' faerie? My two best ideas are a faerie godmother type, or Bountiful the Harvest Faerie.

I really like the second idea, but so many seem to go with a similar autumn theme that i dont want to seem like I'm impersonating anyone...

Suggestions? Let's get creative! If Faeries embody something in nature, what would a fluffy, curvy faerie embody?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Auryn

To be honest I've actually seen many "fluffy" faeries as you put it, especially in cartoons and in older books about mythology.
Right off the top of my head there are plenty of non slender faeries in Ferngully.

A curvy faerie could very well embody bountifullness ( I dont think thats a word but it is now ) of a more carnal nature, you know fertility and the like.
I don't see why there cant be curvy faeries of every type just like the more slender faeries.
The curvy ones just enjoy life more.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

bellevivre

I guess it's my own hang-up- I am an (amateur) artist and the faeries i tend to draw are all slender- not toothpicks, but not...lol Goddess of Willendorf bountiful!

If one assigns faeries to specific things- birch and willow and pine are slender straight things...

water and wind should be lithe

flowers are young and beautiful

a Moon-Faerie, perhaps...

Clouds? Or maybe the earth itself...Gaia would be plump, I'd imagine...
Belle the Kat

Francisco Paula

This year at the colorado renfaire we have had a very lovely curvey faire show up and for me i love the idea of her outfit cause it is different than others out there. Oh she is on r/f.com as Lady Remi. Oh and also a picture that one of our wonderful photagraphers got of her.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/queentlp/3423230146/in/set-72157616490174750/

I hope this helps you cause for me i enjoy the curvey fairies more.

bellevivre

Garath- thanks for those pictures! that is great inspiration!
Belle the Kat

Auryn

Gaia would definitely have to be plump,  ;D
hmm....

Oaks are definitely not slender trees, generally described by their girth.

Im gonna think on it a bit
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Francisco Paula

I linked the wrong picture.

This is our lovely lady remi as her faire persona

http://www.pbase.com/delaneyalysa/image/114717566

Also in my opinion its the personality that always brings out the character. Lady Remi was on court for our faire last year and halfway through she all of a sudden was a dirty peasant and she brought character to each one. Than this year she came as this wonderful fairy with just as much character as any of the other fairies.

Cateyes

There are many fairies that could be "fluffy"

Water Fairy
Willow Fairy
Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall Fairy
Any type of bird fairy (i.e. peacock)
Royal Fairy

GirlChris

What about the three good fairies from Sleeping Beauty?

Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella are tied for my favourite disney movies.

Anna Iram

I like the idea of being bounntiful, but perhaps the bounty of midsummer rather than fall harvest. Lush and ripe fruits and green foliage...that sort of thing.

The Sweet Tooth Fairy for some humor? She visits me often and I have her blessings to blame for my figure.  :D

Perhaps something from this site will spark more ideas:

http://www.efairies.com/fairy_lore.htm

Harbinger

Ralph Bakshi's Wizard's had a rather "curvey" Fairy Queen
in it

http://www.ralphbakshi.com/desktops/bakshidesktop2.jpg
BĂ©nigne Dauvergne Saint de Mars
Private First Class, Texas Musketeers
Rex Dolor, Malleus De Deus

renfairephotog

Faeries, like humans, come in all shapes and sizes. 
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

bellevivre

Anna- you inspired me! I think i have decided on being a rose...

here's my logic (yes, i have to logic this all out)

a rosebud is a small child. A cut rose (like florists use) is a slender girl... but a rose left on the bush in full blossom is most definitely bountiful!

luckily, I already have a rose/vine Pendragon, so I need a new chemise, skirts, wings and a crown... wheee!!! I love projects!
Belle the Kat

maelstrom0370

The thing is...ya gots ta think like a Rennie and not a "Modern Woman".
If you look into things from the "Ye Olde Days of Olde" we all like to play in, curvy, full-figured, robust, voluptuous, buxom (ain't thesauruses...thesauri...whatever...great!!??) was what was sought after by painters, sculptors, the rich and the poor, farmers, Hell! The kid down the street!!   Persoanlly, I think a "fluffy" faire is an awesome idea!!!
IMHO, "curvey" beats out "slender" any day of the week!!

Good luck with it!!

Taffy Saltwater

MaelStrom, God bless your pea-pickin' little heart.
Sveethot!