News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faerie Glitter

Started by bellevivre, July 16, 2009, 01:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

I am hoping to get together my very first faerie persona for TRF... I will be Rosabella of Vinwood, a rose bush faerie.

My question is- what type of makeup do you use? I want to go very sparkly and pale with much rosiness, but not as dramatic as the Bristol faeries. Ideas? suggestions?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Trillium

Poke around the makeup section of your local discount store and see what you find, particularly in the section geared more toward teens.  Also, you can pick up some ultra-fine glitter in the craft section, it sticks to you pretty good, just be careful with it around your eyes.
Got faerie dust?

Elennare

I found a brand called "Jesse's Girl" at Rite Aid.  Not sure if other stores carry it, or if it's a Rite Aid only brand.  They had quite the range of sparkly makeup.  I bought a couple shades of loose powder eyeshadow, and it is VERY sparkly.  You can put it on lightly for just a tiny bit of color with sparkle, or put it on thick and get bright color and LOTS of sparkle.  They also had several shades of irradescent lip gloss.

Not sure on this part, but it sounded like you're also looking for a base/foundation to make your skin paler?  If so, I would recommend looking to see if there are any costume stores around you that carry theatrical makeup.  They should have a wide range of skin tones, all the way down to white.  Just make sure you put powder over it, and it will stay all day, even if you sweat.  It'll also make a very good base to hold the glittery stuff on.
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

bellevivre

ooh these are good ideas! LONG time ago Max Factor made a product called Glimmer Stick or something like that in conjunction with the release of Midsummer Nights Dream- it was GREAT! My plan at this point is to probably use my normal foundation, then mix a face powder with baby powder, my regular powder, and super fine glitter... then, as I'm a rose faerie (Rosabelle of Vinewood, nice to meet you!) I'll do eyeshadow in green/gold sparkle and really beef up the blush and red lip...

Gotta try it out first! I think we need a sticky on this subject somewhere- Faerie make up tips, trick, etc! I'll take pictures as I work on bringing Rosabelle from my mind and into reality!
Belle the Kat

Taffy Saltwater

Bath & Body Works carried a nice scented glimmer powder in an atomizer bottle that I really like.  I just checked the web page & don't see it, but they have other shimmer products.
Sveethot!

Queen Bonnie

I use Ben Nye liquiset- also called glitterglue and glitter. I wear a contact lens. It works. You can get it online.
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

CatAshtrophy

I'm a big fan of MAC glitter. It is very, very fine and stays well.

RenRobin

Belle,
The Bazaar off of 35 and E. Riverside has lots of costume make up and such, as well as Lucy In Disguise with Diamonds on Congress.
Loki-terr (in training)

lady serena

Guppy # 81
Fins up

Shandi

i use no one flame me cuz it's not recommeded for skin...."pearlex" I've never had any problems with it and I use in my art work and loved the effect so I tried on me :) and love it
"Chase the Morning" "Yield for Nothing!"

Elinor Hakebourne

I used Bonne Bell - Smackers - Glitz and Glo  (a body lotion-y type product) for glitter this past summer when I attended Dragon*Con as a faerie, and it worked awesomely - was pretty cheap, too :)

ArielCallista

Suggestion for sticking glitter to your face...chapstick! Get a non colored flavorless chapstick. Colors and flavors contain chemicals that can do funny things to your skin...definitely avoid burts bees stuff, its expensive and doesnt work well for this purpose. Use the chapstick like a glue stick to draw swirls or whatever directly on your skin then dip your fingertip into your glitter and pat it on the area. It keeps it from falling off every time your face moves or comes in contact with something else (smiling, scratching your face, hugging people etc.) Its an old trick we use in colorguard to stay shiny through the whole show!
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

raevyncait

And keep in mind that it DOES come off, when it's touched, and it can be a serious pain to get out of some fabrics, including velvet.  I have a friend who is a performer, and if I have the least bit of glitter on, he won't hug me, in an effort to keep from getting glittered accidentally.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

appljx

There are actually a few stores in Busch Gardens up here in Virginia that sell "fairy dust".  On a whim, I bought some and the stuff DOESN"T COME OFF!!  Even after about 2 showers I'm still finding faery dust everywhere (including my sheets!)

FaeHollow

seriously go to walgreens right now and poke around... find what you want and buy a can of aquanet.... put on your makeup and then spray your face with aquanet... I MEAN SPRAY IT...you will be set all day! use waterproof mascara if possible and I have found maybelline 24 hour lip stain to be THE BEST lipstick for all day wear. I use maybelline 24 hour foundation... it is brand new. I dust over it with bare minerals and then I found my color in the covergirl isle and bought the number 2 Tru blush... its a 3 in one blush highlighter and contour for your cheeks. Glitter is EVERYWHERE right now but when I use glitter I go to hobby lobby and buy a craft super fine glitter. If you spray the aquanet on and the sprinkle the glitter on you while it is still wet it will stick... let that coat dry and then spray more aquanet over it. I played Titania in Midsummer sophmore year of college and this was how we made sure I was COVERED in glitter.... although i didn't look strange... I looked like my skin was made of glitter and shiny kit was very pretty!
Leigh

bellevivre

but... wont the aquanet 1) start to flake off when youre sweating UNDER it, and 2) completely clog your pores?

my plan is:

I bought some white stage makeup, so the plan is to go pale with my face, and somewhat to the chest, then do pink/rose shading at temples, hairline- contours, basically, face and chest- a purplish eyeshadow, POSSIBLY fancy fake eyelashes, and I'll cover it all with my normal translucent-fair powder mixed with micro glitter and baby powder (to make it lighter still) then I'll finish with a rosy lip and glitter gel on cheekbones...

kindof a less colorful take on what the Bristol fairies do...
Belle the Kat

FaeHollow

sounds pretty!

The aquanet flakes a little but not enough to cause my makeup to come off at all... it isn't noticable. And I haven't had any skin problems that I don't have with just liquid foundation and powder. I also seem to sweat on TOP of the aquanet without losing any makeup. It's a theatre secret that has been around awhile its essentially a stage makeup fixative... but it is cheaper and works better. my makeup stayed on in the rain on saturday even!
Leigh

Rowan MacD

If it's drama you want, try Sally Beauty Supply store.  They have bins of stuff for night club makeovers and it's CHEAP.
 Vials of skin glitter in more colors than I've ever seen anywhere else for .99 cents.
 Metallic lipsticks, nail polishes, neon hair color and gels, and all the tools to apply them.
  Clip-in color strands, natural and fake hair extensions, braids, curls and falls.
  It's a Salon supply store geared toward professional cosmeticians and beauticians, so I shop there instead of the costume stores.
  I have not looked for theater quality makeup, but I would bet they have it.  
   Did I mention they are CHEAP.
Sally outlets are all over the Omaha area.  
 Look for one in your area.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt