News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What age did you start faire?

Started by beeboy, May 20, 2008, 03:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rani Zemirah

My first faire I was in my teens, but my daughter was still in a stroller for hers, and she's been every year since. Now, at 7y/o she gets to be a player in our troop at our home faire next season! Well... I guess she'll be 8 by then.
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Rin

I was fourteen... When I first started getting all dressed up and 17 when I started working at the faire... I'm not sure when I started just going, though..
"Chivalry is the most delicate form of contempt."

Lord Duelist

First went (TRF) when I was middle school age (either 12 or just turned 13), didn't really get into it then. Re-introduced last year, got into it enough that I went again later in the season. Heard about another faire just starting up right after the close of the season (Songwood/King's Realm), which I was very interested in attending, until it wound up just not happening. Of course, that just got me that much more excited about opening day of TRF this year...

Cap'n Hunnar Graybeard

Soon to be two years at Louisiana Renaissance Festival when I was 46. Another late attendee.
Bought my first garb late the first day before we left and the second day I was no longer in 'dane clothes.
Every Faire we've been too since has been in garb.
IPB Clan Chieftain - Clan Williams (Kansas)
Crew of The Bayou Scoundrel
Landshark #58

Kahlan Rose

Sadly when I was 15. I went as a patron once, decided to act there, skipped a very traumatic summer and came back and was a boothie.

My parents hate my faire obsession but I guess this sounds weird it sort of kicked me out of my 2 year depression.

Libby Stella

When I was 5 or 6 I went to my first Faire, I was taking by my older half sister. I skipped a few years then went with my school in 5th grade, and returned every year since! I have been in garb for only one year though.
So if you've never been frog kissing
Then you don't know what you've been missin'
~Frog Kissin' - Brobdingnagian Bards

Ice Mage

You don't have to be a great man.  Just be a man, and let history make it's judgements.

DragonWing

;) I agree with Ice Mage.

I went for my first time last year, last day of MDRF 2007

I will be there this Sunday Oct. 19th and in GARB!  Huzzah!!!!!!!
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

Nailin

My first Faire was NCRF 02' after my high school did a Medieval Feast and we had these die hard people in garb eating with wooden forks & mugs - It was these same people that insisted on yelling "WENCH" at me - I asked them why they were yelling wench at me and they explained faire - In 06' I went on cast for NCRF and in 07' became a M'Crack - Thus starting this incredible journey to other fairies and it was that same year I fell in love with Maryland's Revel Grove :) - This year I was able to got to 4 new faires (new for me) Ohio, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, & Kentucky!
Chieftess Nailin'
Irish Penny Brigade
Daddy's Princess
IWG # 3894

Sanquine

i think i was thirteen or fourteen. my parents never took me because they didn't know about our local faire!!  :P my first time i went with my best friend and her mother.

Matty Pine Brownie

My first faire trip was at the ripe age of 24 Years, Nine Months and a Day in an exiled shire in County Somerset, New Jersey.

Been going to at least one faire trip every year since. Now with enough garb to go around for at least a week with only the shoes where I need more to get to seven days without wearing the same article of garb more than once in a week.
Rogues and Pollywogs! Where is the Brownie?

kcdcchef

first time at faire i was 6, at the Kansas City Renaissance Festival. At that time a not for profit venture benefiting the Kansas City Art Institute.

First time in garb - 23

Last time in garb - 26

Total seasons going - 26. Cannot wait for 27!!!

Seriously, highly reccomend getting em started young. Those who start later in life and actually like it are rare at best.

Lord Clisto of York

I have been doing this for 32 years starting in 1976. Thus I was 21 when I started. Now my son, on the other hand, who is 20, began going with me at the age of 5.
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

LadyShadow

I've had a love for the time period since Elemntary.  But didnt actually learn about Faire and didnt go until my Junior year in High School.  For my kids.  Most of them first went 2 yrs ago, and my youngest was finally got her chance to go this year at the age of 2.  She just loves it... Being dressed up as a princess and spoiled.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Barefooted_Rennie_Child

I've been a part of the faire circuit since my early childhood. When I was 3 years old, my mother and I worked at AZRF(which was ARF back in the day), beginning in i believe 1989. We were a part the Celtic Living History Foundation and participated with that group for a number of years. In the early 90's, we also preformed with Bedlam Bells Morris Dancing in AZ. I believe in 1992, we began traveling. My mother had stepped up and became the replacement wench for a woman some of you might know as Lolly, in a group called Wench Work. From AZ we would travel to Bristol and end our year at KRF.

I've been in a plethora of roles ranging from a little peasant girl, The Lord Mayors Granddaughter and a Local Yokel out at AZRF, to a kiddie street rogue and Jouster gopher at Bristol and lastly a peasant girl all years but one at KRF, and that one year I wasn't, was actually the year that I was in the first morning Joust, being rescued by the jouster Lionel, from the terrible, evil dragon, terrorizing KRF that year. I would ride in with him, sitting behind him on the horse, face full of black soot.

We were asked a couple times, to a couple different faires to make guest appearances. These faires included Michigan, Missouri and I believe my mother actually made a trip with her Wench Work partner to Kansas. We also were honored to be chosen to travel to AZRF's sister faire, as the foreign exchange preformers and were flown to England for their "Robin Hood Festival" in Sherwood Forest, England.

Our last year of travelling was 1996 and our last year at AZRF was 1997. Though I loved doing the Ren Faire as a kid, I also wanted to grow up and have a "normal" kid life, which included attending schoolmate sleepovers instead of worrying about being up early and making it to morning meeting.

So yeah....that was a good 8 years of my early life from age 3-11. :) We still attend AZRF every year as patrons and say our hellos to our friends who still work their.