News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Weatherproof DSLR Housings?

Started by dbaldock, July 23, 2009, 08:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbaldock

I've been considering a weatherproof housing for my new Nikon D90 DSLR.

Hardshell housings start at around USD$1400, which I consider a bit too much.

So, I began looking for cheaper alternatives, and found products from EWA-Marine.  My 10mm - 24mm Wide-Angle Zoom has a 77mm diameter, which won't fit a lot of the bag-type housings, but their U-AXP100 will accommodate lens diameters up to 82mm.  Plus, the U-AXP100 is less than USD$400.

Has anyone on the forum used EWA-Marine Waterproof Housings?  Any good or bad experiences?

Thanks,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

dbaldock

Well, after talking with the sales guy at Keep It Dry Case, in order to use my 18mm - 200mm lens, I'll need to order either a U-AZ or a U-BZ100.  They both can have a total camera plus telephoto lens length of 9.1" (for a 72mm filter-size lens).  The difference in the two housings is that the U-BZ100 has a wider camera body area (not really needed for my D90), and is also able to accept 77mm lenses like my 10mm - 24mm wide-angle zoom.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Mandrake Von Sets

Wil

dbaldock

Well, I started looking at Hardshell housings, but they cost more than my Nikon D90.   :o

I'm not a certified diver (yet ... always hopeful that I might take dive classes ;D ), so I began looking at alternatives that can be used on, or in shallow water.  The EWA-Marine housings were interesting, since they can be used at depths of 60 ft. or more, and are a lot cheaper than the Hardshell housings.  They're like a rugged, zip-lock bag, made from double laminated PVC, and they have an optically neutral flat glass port.  The other nice thing is that their "100" series can accept lenses up to 82mm filter size.

Take Care,
David Baldock

dbaldock

Well, the U-BZ100 Waterproof Case arrived today.  It looks like it'll work well, and I'd definitely recommend shopping with KeepItDryCase.com.  They have great Customer Service, if you've got any questions about EWA-Marine cases.

Looking forward to shooting some water-level photos while using it to protect my new Nikon D90.

Take Care,
David Baldock