News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

An Introduction from a Poor Player

Started by Docamor, July 28, 2009, 07:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Docamor

Greetings to All !!!

I believe that some introduction on my part is necessary.  As you can tell, I am Doc Amor, and I am new to the Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival.  But I am not new to the Renaissance Festival circuit (so to speak).  My wife, Patti, and our two sons, Billy and Jimmy, began at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire in 1998.   My wife and I have been at that faire for all these years until this year.  Our oldest son, Billy, left the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire to perform with Noble Cause Productions in 2003 at the Colorado Renaissance Festival and has continued to perform with them since.  You will know him as Sir Roderick in Black and Gold.   Our youngest son, Jimmy, has worked as an actor and member of the production department at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire up til the time he leaves for college at Seton Hill University.  He will be appearing at the Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival with his brother as his brother's squire this season.  In addition to the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire, my wife and I have performed for six years at the North Carolina Renaissance Festival with the Guilde of St. George.  And we have performed with Tribe Jyannissimi at the Virginia Renaissance Faire for four years.  When possible we travel to other faires to visit and perform.  We have been in the weekend cast for the Tennessee Renaissance Faire, Bristol Renaissance Faire,  and Colorado Renaissance Festival.  In fact, way back in 1988, we were married in a medieval/renaissance themed wedding.

I am sure that you are by now aware that there are some changes that have occurred this year with regards to cast/crew.  Change is always very hard.  We grow comfortable with those things we are used to and resent change being forced upon us.  But I think, by and large for the most part, change usually is a good thing.  We have seen quite the number of changes to the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire over the years.  And many of those we dreaded when they occurred.  But we adapted and we accepted with time those changes.  We have great memories of those performers that no longer inhabit that shire and we hope that many will have fond memories of our presence there all these years now that we are gone from that shire.  But change is inevitable.  I think many will agree that cd's are a vast improvement over lp's.  Cable/Satellite is a vast improvement over antennas.  So bear with us as we all adapt to change and let us work together to build onto the dream.

My wife and I have taught Peasant Dancing at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire and have helped teach dancing at both the North Carolina and Virginia Faires.  It might even be considered a passion of ours.  We are presently working on putting together a patron based/oriented peasant dance show at Pittsburgh.  We usually teach 3 dances in a 1/2 hour and have everyone interested dancing along with us.  The catch phrase is "If you can walk, you can dance!"  These dances are simple, easy to learn and a whole lot of fun for everyone.  We have a few other ideas we hope to implement, but if I told you now, there wouldn't be any good surprises later when we see you!!  And we are so very much looking forward to seeing you!!

Doc
Modo liceat vivere, est spes.

Scarlett

Welcome Doamor!  I hope to meet and your lady in the shire this season! 
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Sir Slainte

By no means thou art a poor player! As well as your wife.
Your peasant dances were most delightful and will be missed by me very much. Once in a while I love dancing along after a few meads.
  Those dreaded hot days in the sun weren't all that fun. Though in Pittsburgh you're probably going to be up top in the sun. Yuk!
It was not until today, that PARF put up their schedule. There will be lots of acts missed this year. I will miss you and your wife the most. Starting to make me think to go back and visit Pittsburgh again.
You are right to have a positive attitude on change. It may hurt at first but usually turns out for the best. (chabge is a good thing)The people of Pittsburgh will treat you right at home. They're good people out there.

Sir Slainte

Terry Griffith

A health to you and your lady,  We are all looking forward to working (and playing) with you in our little Shire.

May the changes you bring enhance our performance and help us get beyond the grief for our lost but never forgotten family members.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

McGuinness

BOO to Pittsburg for stealing my Amors away from me and the rest of us at PaRF!!  :'( We'll miss you and I hope all of you over there across the state have a good season. God save the king and God save the peasant dance!  :-*  8)

Docamor

Ah Colleen, come to the light.  Maybe you would care to join us sometime??  It obviously won't be the same without you doing Peasant Dance with us.  We will come for a visit after our run to cause all sort of mischief and drink beer! 

Professor M

Quote from: Scarlett on July 28, 2009, 10:23:29 AM
Welcome Docamor!  I hope to meet and your lady in the shire this season! 
I'm sure their Majesties will stop by the pub to see you, Scarlet  ;)
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

malarky

I hope you guys enjoy working at GPRF.  It's a great show - I'm sure you'll be greatly missed at PARF.

Take care!!!
Jes
Malarky - the Captain and Malarky

Docamor

Kip,

I know we have not met in person and I can completely understand your frustration with things.  However, I can not make sense out of your last line.  I cannot read it correctly and think maybe in your anger you have misplaced some words.  I know full well what has happened before and the hurt felt by many at the loss of members of the cast and shire.  At the PARF we went thru many similar changes and there are still those changes going on.  I think that this forum is not the best place to have a heart to heart discussion on the things that may be bothering you and I welcome you to email me directly.  I will gladly listen to your concerns and hopefully help to allay your fears.  I am a reasonable and affable fellow and look forward to winning over your friendship.  But the festival is not heading for the iceberg you imply, it is far from that.

Doc

Master James

WOW you guys moved to Pittsburgh faire!  Bummer for PARF but great for Pittsburgh!  And I didn't know that your son was Sir Roderick!  I've seen them both at Pittsburgh and KCRF and enjoy their show greatly!  M'lady and I with possibly Pam will be up there to Pittsburgh for your closing weekend (Oct 3-4) so we'll definitely look for you!  Do you know what position you and your lovely wife will be playing yet?  I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again, October is so far off.  Oh well, see you guys then!
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

McGuinness

Quote from: Docamor on July 29, 2009, 03:29:41 PM
Ah Colleen, come to the light.  Maybe you would care to join us sometime??  It obviously won't be the same without you doing Peasant Dance with us.  We will come for a visit after our run to cause all sort of mischief and drink beer! 

I wish I could come and visit sometime, I'd love to see "the other PRF". Now that you are over there, how 'bout you talk them into not overlapping our seasons anymore? Come visit again when you are done for the season. I'll be sure the Nevilles and Howards take REALLY GOOD CARE of the Isle of Mann since the Derbys will no longer be there though.  ;D

Professor M

Master James!  It will be great to see you again, my friend!  I'd love to spoil the surprise and tell you what Doc will be doing, but he has earned that privilege himself.  Here's a hint: think big!

Colleen, our overlap has always been unfortunate, not only with PARF, but with MDRF as well.  I think most of the faires in the Northeast have some overlap.  I wish it weren't so.  It has kept me from visiting all of you at PaRF, but I'll make it there one of these days.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

McGuinness

Quote from: Professor M on July 31, 2009, 07:21:59 PM
..., but I'll make it there one of these days.

And I hope I'll finally make it to MdRF and Pitsburg one of these days too! I guess thats what all of us get for being in a region with a small window of faire-suitable weather. Maybe once global warming kicks in and we have a shorter, warmer winter, we can stagger our faire runs more.   ;)

Docamor

We Are SOOOOOOO looking forward to going to MDRF for the first time in about 10 years.  The last time we were able to go was when PARF was closed on Labor Day and we would all descend on MDRF in mass for the day.  Then the powers that be figured since everyone wanted to go to a faire on Labor Day, they might as well open that day too.  Way to ruin our fun!! ???

Doc

squiregaby

HI OTHER DAD!!!
So yes...I miss the crew! :(  I'm all lonely and stuff down here in Texas
Squire Gaby
Squire to the Knights of the most Noble Cause

Kip

Well I removed my post. I have a lot of passion about the festival. And when my job is on the line. Sometimes you act before you think.

Master James

Quote from: Docamor on July 31, 2009, 07:51:35 PM
We Are SOOOOOOO looking forward to going to MDRF for the first time in about 10 years.  The last time we were able to go was when PARF was closed on Labor Day and we would all descend on MDRF in mass for the day.  Then the powers that be figured since everyone wanted to go to a faire on Labor Day, they might as well open that day too.  Way to ruin our fun!! ???

Doc

You guys are going to make MDRF this year?  When?  I thought Pitt and MDRF completely overlapped.   ???
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Master James

Quote from: Professor M on July 31, 2009, 07:21:59 PM
Master James!  It will be great to see you again, my friend!  I'd love to spoil the surprise and tell you what Doc will be doing, but he has earned that privilege himself.  Here's a hint: think big!

Colleen, our overlap has always been unfortunate, not only with PARF, but with MDRF as well.  I think most of the faires in the Northeast have some overlap.  I wish it weren't so.  It has kept me from visiting all of you at PaRF, but I'll make it there one of these days.

Professor M!  Yes I can't wait to get up there and see you guys again!  Doc already filled me in so WOW! It will be great to get back to Pittsburgh after a year absence.  We went to KCRF last year to visit another friend so that is why we didn't make it but good lord willing and the creek don't rise we'll be there this year.
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

kilted one

Master James, I look forward to meeting you again.  Met you once briefly when we accompanied Professor to MDRF.  Hope to see you soon.
....Because it was stapled to the elephant!!!   Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

Master James

Quote from: kilted one on August 04, 2009, 10:25:44 PM
Master James, I look forward to meeting you again.  Met you once briefly when we accompanied Professor to MDRF.  Hope to see you soon.

Looking forward to it!  We love Pittsburgh faire!  Not too big, not too small, JUST right.  ;D
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51