News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fixing faery wings

Started by Zoë, July 29, 2009, 10:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoë

Hi all...yesterday I was doing a photoshoot with some friends and brought out my new fae character Fritzie.  During the shoot my wings got snagged on something and I ripped a small hole in the nylon near the wire frame.  Is there a good way to fix this, or, does anyone have any suggestions for creatively patching it over with something?  I am bringing the character to the Santa Fe faire in September and I don't want them to be in danger of getting any worse.

Thanks!
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Elennare

Nylon, like stockings are made out of?

You could very carefully, with small stiches, sew it back together, if the fabric is strong enough, and doing so isn't going to just make the hole bigger, or add a bunch more small holes.  You'd probably be able to see the stiches, though.  Not sure if that's a look you'd want.  You could always make it look like an embroidered design if you can't hide it.

If it's the stocking stuff, I think your best bet is going to be to put clear nail polish around the edges of the hole so it won't get any bigger, and sew/glue a fake leaf or flower over it.  Maybe add a few elsewhere on the wings so it doesn't look out of place.

Or you could always just go with it, and maybe make a few more small holes in the wing, and do the other one to match.  I've seen some very cool wings that had holes in them as a decorative feature.  I'd still seal the edges with clear nail polish (or heck, even colored!), so the holes don't run.

Hope that helps. :)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Zoë

Yes, it's nylon like stockings.  I will definitely do the nail polish thing to at least keep it from getting bigger.  Thanks!
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy