News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kind of OT but a new costume

Started by Mixsae, July 01, 2009, 11:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mixsae

So as many of you know, I'm also on the board of directors for a charity and have an alter ego that's a "Superhero"

We're slated to march in the 4th of July Parade in DC this weekend and I've been spending my time since Fair closed prepping for that. Then I get one of those 1 am phonecalls last Thursday. My sister passed away.

There's been quite a bit of drama with the family going on. I've had to be the strong one and handle all the business which has drained me emotionally. The superhero character I've designed as an alter ego is a strong woman who could stare down anyone threatning the planet and give them a sound tongue lashing for interupting her morning coffee.

I just didn't feel I could put on the costume and properly give it the all and be that person. I was already looking at making a new costume to use when we do conventions for days we didn't have an activity going on. Bring that bit of Ren Fair persona in and have fun.

So this weekend, I attacked my closet. Fired up the washing machine to do some dying of skirts to proper colors and hit the fabric store.

Having a project to focus on kept me occupied and saved me from losing what little was left of my sanity.

The end result

Revolution the Patriotic "Privateer"

Originally, I was going to do the dual skirts but the more I started looking, the blue of the sash was not working out with the blue of the skirt...and I decided I needed bloomers. Sadly, my sewing machine is at my sisters, her daughter is being a piece of work so I had to compromise and heat seam tape the sash and buy a pair of costume bloomers from Performance studios...but I did re-work the skirt last night and hand stitch it up so it draped properly. I'll try to post a final pic once I get back from DC. The costume is now packed and ready to board the plane.

I may even pull this one out as a Memorial day costume...we'll see

Lady Nicolette

"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

renfairephotog

Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

renfairephotog

Cool costume. You should bring it to faire.
Fairy photographer

Lady Catherine

I am so sorry for what has happened.....

but, I do love this costume, and think it is very appropriate! Ps, I miss seeing you!!!
2008-2009 cast TNRF
Fishers, GARF, TNRF, ALARF, Fishers, KYHRF and BRISTOL
Coming 2011- Bella the Troll at TNRF!

Mixsae

I miss seeing all of you as well.

Strange how even though those days were cloudy and soggy, they were much brighter.

I think it will be a new fair costume as well then.

:)

renfairephotog

You could wear it at ConNooga. It's the weekend after Presidents day.
Fairy photographer

Mixsae

Quote from: renfairephotog on July 02, 2009, 12:05:28 PM
You could wear it at ConNooga. It's the weekend after Presidents day.

I do need to try to make it to that this time around. Usually, I'm prepping for Megacon but it's going to be in Mid March for 2010.

But I also still have the regualr superhero costume/uniform to get mileage out of. I actually got this idea Memorial Day when I found the red/white/blue stripped socks...Debated about it all day and then ran over and bought them before pub-sing

Cloverpogue

~The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves~ Keeper of the Pirate Joe Bear, Capn'Car'nage, Mistress of Mischief~

renfairephotog

We went to ConNooga for a day this year. But we will be there with a booth next year.
Fairy photographer

Mixsae

For those of you not on my my space...

And for the record, 5 hours of Arlington and The Mall in DC riding on a float did me in more then a full three day weekend at fair!

And oh yes....if you make it to Silversprings MD, they have a pirate themed pub. One of my fellow heroes sings there with Piratez 4 sail. They had to drag me out of there!

I'm whooped but flying home in  the am.

renfairephotog

It's ComicCon weekend. I can't make it to SD but ther is a free comic show at the clarion in the boro on sat.
Fairy photographer

Mixsae

Quote from: renfairephotog on July 21, 2009, 06:11:37 PM
It's ComicCon weekend. I can't make it to SD but ther is a free comic show at the clarion in the boro on sat.

I might be heading up. Their guest speaker Jacob Rougemount and I have done some trade work for each other. I did a custom action figure for him and he did some art for me. great guy. If I don't make it, make sure to stop by and tell him howdy.

We actually passed up Comic Con to do the parade...maybe next year.