News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

If you could make garb to match a portrait........

Started by DonaCatalina, May 08, 2008, 02:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

which one would it be?

Personally I can't stand to make something without changing it up a little, but I can dream about making that exact copy.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Athena

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

gem

I love playing Portrait Gowns!  Thanks, DC!!

Right now I'm working on a recreation of the figure on the right.  It's French/Flemish, c. 1520.  AFAICT, not any particular personage:

And I've given serious thought to Caravaggio's St. Catherine:

It's hard to see the detail in that version--but there's some beautiful gold trim down the front of the gown, and the camica is trimmed in blackwork and goldwork (swoon).  See more here.

Last summer, I did this Botticelli:

(Still need to make the sleeves.  The white caul looked *awful* on me. :))

Lady Ann of Draycott

There was a portrait posted on the other forums and when I saw it I thought Wow...I really love to have a gown that looks like that!!!  Unfortunately, I didn't think about saving the picture, I can always go back and find it again right?  So, now I have no way of finding it again.  :'(

Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

gem

Lady Ann, if you can tell us what you remember about it (period, color, any details, etc), we can probably find it for you. We've got some pretty portrait-savvy members here!

Lady Ann of Draycott

Well...hmmm...I think there was a young boy in the picture with the woman (I'm not sure about that, I could be thinking of a different portrait), I believe he was standing to her right, or on the left side of the portrait. 

One of the things I do remember and that I liked so much about the dress was the criss-crossed strips of material at the top of the bodice with pearls sewn at the points where the strips of material crossed. 

Does that help??? 
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

gem

Oh, that was too easy!

You seek Bronzino's portrait of Eleanora di Toledo with her son Giovanni di Medici

The criss-cross with pearls you refer to is her partlet, which is not actually part of the gown: 

I'm pretty sure Sealion has made an Italian caul using that method; you might ask her how she did it.

Lady Ann of Draycott

THAT'S IT!!!

Thanks Gem!!!  :-*

OMG, I love that gown and I want one *just* like it!

*sigh*

Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

sealion

Lady Ann- I knew exactly which portrait you were talking about as soon as I started reading the description! LOL
I haven't figured out the woven partlet and caul, yet. I've been studying dress diaries for ideas but it seems there are as many methods for making this as there are people who've tried it.
The next dress I am planning to make is the lady on the left in the medium green here:

I had Lady Oren make the white shoes and slippers for me (she did am amazing job!) Then I realized the wool I bought a few months back is this color so why not make the dress?
And someday, after I have a little more confidence in my sewing abilities to justify using the expensive fabric, I want to try this:
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: gem on May 08, 2008, 04:00:54 PM
Oh, that was too easy!

You seek Bronzino's portrait of Eleanora di Toledo with her son Giovanni di Medici

The criss-cross with pearls you refer to is her partlet, which is not actually part of the gown: 

I'm pretty sure Sealion has made an Italian caul using that method; you might ask her how she did it.

YES Another I love and would love to have
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

PrincessSara

I definitely want to make Cranach's Saint Magdalene

And at least one of the gowns from the Cluny tapestries and others in that category, like the one gem posted.  I haven't picked which one yet, they're all so beautiful.

Annastina

I love this painting "Portrait of a Florentine Noblewoman" that is part of the San Diego Museum of Art collection.  I could stare at it for hours.  I would love to be able to sew a copy, not for me, but for my daughter.  She looks a bit like this noblewoman

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Henri De Ceredigion

I've actually done this for a production of "Ruddigore" by Gilbert and Sullivan in 2002 (and I think the resembleance is astonishing)

A protrait of Thomas Coram painted by Hogarth in the mid 18th century

Sir Mervyn Murgatroyd (one of the bad baronets of Ruddigore)
The honourable member for Ceredigion