News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

If you could make garb to match a portrait........

Started by DonaCatalina, May 08, 2008, 02:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

This is another one I'd love to do. It looks so comfortable.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Sorcha

Quote from: Athena on May 08, 2008, 02:16:50 PM

Oh!  The red dress is lovely!  I'd love to know more about the portrait.  Anyone?

nliedel

Quote from: gem on May 08, 2008, 03:08:15 PM

And I've given serious thought to Caravaggio's St. Catherine:

I'm basing my ren gown on that portrait this year, sort of. I can't do the blackwork, but I can get the basic shape and the fullness of the skirt, it's what I based one of my sketches on. Don't expect the portrait. I'm not nearly on par with most of you.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

Athena

Quote from: Sorcha on May 09, 2008, 08:54:15 AM

Oh!  The red dress is lovely!  I'd love to know more about the portrait.  Anyone?

Two Venetian Ladies by Vittore Carpaccio ca. late fifteenth or early sixteenth century

I agree with you Sorcha! I love that red gown!
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Mythrin

My daughter and I are planning on attempting this project if time allows this summer.

This is Sybil of Cleeves, the older sister of Anne of Cleeves briefly the German wife of Henry the VIII
Chris
Founding member of the Living History Company

"go Secret Squirrels"

CapnFayeCutler

Sadly we can't see the rest of this gown, but I'm sure I could do something that went well with the part we *can* see. Now I just gotta grow my hair out. This gown just looks fun!
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Arsinoe Selene

Just in case anybody is interested: http://www.artchive.com/

You can search for an artist, time period, or area.

I'm not good enough at sewing to re-create a dress, but I aspire to.

FaireMare

Quote from: CapnFayeCutler on May 09, 2008, 07:43:55 PM
Sadly we can't see the rest of this gown, but I'm sure I could do something that went well with the part we *can* see. Now I just gotta grow my hair out. This gown just looks fun!

AH Elizabeth of Bohemia.... the bases for my daughter's new dress as the princess of Romania.

Cilean

I am currently working on this project, I am using silver instead of gold so as soon as it is done I will post pics!

I have 10 yards of black cotton velveteen and 24 yards of cording and I will couch it down.
so I hope it will be awesome!

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

CapnFayeCutler

Quote from: FaireMare on May 10, 2008, 12:24:37 AM
AH Elizabeth of Bohemia....

Exactly! I'm sure your daughter will be lovely in that kind of gown!  :)

I think I'm drawn to it because of her hair just being wild and freeflowing... which kind of reminds me of the "Bohemian" look that was popular a year or two ago. (Which I still love hehehe)
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

gem

Cilean, you should consult with Lady Kathleen of Olmstead; she's done a spot-on recreation of that exact portrait.

I have a new one!  This is mostly in the realm of "Oh, god, wouldn't that be STUNNING?" than the realm of anything I'll actually ever *do,* but it's fun to imagine how it might be done.

Galizia's Judith (unfortunately, the biggest pic I could find online).  Italian, c. 1590:

Some details:

Beyond the trim and the unbelievable beadwork on those straps, I am absolutely in love with that camica. SWOON!!  Are we at all surprised this was painted by a woman? :D

CountessofPhoenix

Never gave it much thought til reading this thread. OMG I think I'm in love. Will have to research the perfect gown.
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

Ottheinrich

Quote from: gem on May 10, 2008, 01:21:17 PM
Cilean, you should consult with Lady Kathleen of Olmstead; she's done a spot-on recreation of that exact portrait.

I have a new one!  This is mostly in the realm of "Oh, god, wouldn't that be STUNNING?" than the realm of anything I'll actually ever *do,* but it's fun to imagine how it might be done.

Galizia's Judith (unfortunately, the biggest pic I could find online).  Italian, c. 1590:

Is she holding someones head?

gem

Yeah, it's Judith.  She's always pictured holding the severed head of Holofernes.  My other favorite Judith portrait is the one by Caravaggio.  I just love the expression on her face--not horror, not fear, not rage or triumph... just a mild distaste, as if she's gutting a fish, not beheading her mortal enemy and saving the Israelites.

sealion

OMG gem! That is a gorgeous gown! Will you plese post the link to it?
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin