News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

If you could make garb to match a portrait........

Started by DonaCatalina, May 08, 2008, 02:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

Cin, it's Fede Galizia's Judith, which I just Googled until I found a decent image.  I discovered the painting in--and took the detail shots from--a book I have here called Women Who Ruled (you'll recognize a friend on the cover ;)).

But I *think* I got the image at Answers.com:

http://www.answers.com/topic/fede-galizia?cat=entertainment

sealion

Thanks gem! You've now given me an excuse to attempt a Venetian gown in blue instead of the typical red. lol

Cilean- Your image isn't showing up (red x). To which gown are you referring?
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Baroness Doune

If anyone is interested, I have a few images of details of this painting stashed away in My Pictures section of my computer.  Somebody actually took these detail pictures of the painting while it was was part of an exhibit a few years ago.  I won't post them publicly, but you can send me a private message and I will give you link(s).

One of the pictures just showed up on the slideshow screensaver which reminded me of their existance.

Also, since I intend to make a Florentine gown in a similar style someday, I have a webpage started with pictures and other references.  Clicky here.

Baroness Doune

Outfits I have in progress that are supposed to look like the portrait that inspired the outfit.  I have superhuge images of the portraits on my website, so I don't post the images on forums - just links to the appropriate page.
Anne of Austria, Queen of Spain
Henry VIII

Now if Uncle Sam would just hurry up and put that stimulus money in my account so that I could buy the embroidery machine to start working on the Baron's Tudor.

CountessofPhoenix

I've found one Titian's portrait of Empress Isabella. I'll have to do something about the high neckline. Can't stand anything up around my neck. But what do you think?

Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

GirlChris

Honestly, I would do the portrait of Lady Guildford.

I just love love love the chains and the pintucked foresleeves. So nifty!

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

Oh DonaCatalina- that is a dress for me! I have a vintage dark mink cape and I'm dying to use it on a dress. I think it would be STUNNING. :) :)
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

mellingera

CountessofPhoenix, I was contemplating the same painting of Isabella just the other day, I adore that gown...
I also like this one of Jane Seymour... They are actually sort of similar, by way of color and relative simplicity to some of the other more heavily decorated gowns.

LaFemme NaKitty

Who did you do Ruddigore for?!  I help with the Houston Gilbert and Sullivan Society and was just curious...

- Kitty

operafantomet

Quote from: Sorcha on May 09, 2008, 08:54:15 AM
Quote from: Athena on May 08, 2008, 02:16:50 PM
*picture removed*
Oh! The red dress is lovely!  I'd love to know more about the portrait.  Anyone?
The painting is by Carpaccio, and was long referred to as "Two Venetian courtesans". This was because the women wears very elaborate costumes, and there are lots of hard-to-read iconography in the painting. There's a bold cut/closeness in the formate which is quite unusual for the period. Also, they're sitting on a balcony, looking bored, probably waiting for customers.

Or not... After the discovery of the painting (still in Venice) being a part of another Carpaccio painting; that of the "Hunting on the Lagoon" (in the USA), the context changed and it's now intepreted of being two noblewoman waiting for their husbands:

The cut and formate makes much more sense this way. It is also believed that the re-united paintings aboe makes 1/2 of a bigger composition, and that it was cut into four pieces so whoever owned it could make a bigger profit when selling it. The ladies are probably looking at something specific rather than staring blank/bored into the air. They are depicted in Venetian fashion ca. 1490-1510, with high-waisted dresses and slashed sleeves. The hairstyle is also very distinctive. Look up "Carpaccio" on the internet (for example www.wga.hu ), and you'll find lots of period garbs in his paintings. I agree that the red dress is gorgeous!

operafantomet

My next Renaissance project?

Raphael's painting of "Lady with a Unicorn" (Previously "St. Catherine of Alexandria", until restored in 1936). The fabrics are so vibrant and tactile, and I love the simplicity in shape, cut and details. Plus, moss green and wine red? *swooooon*

gem

OF, the what kills me on that dress are the velvet guards and the tiny tooled belt with the gold clasp (joins OF in a swoon)!

LadyMeg

I'd love to do the Anne of Cleves portrait someday.  It looks rather comfy.

|LadyMeg|
________
Galene, Nereid in pirate form
Lady Alethea Talbot

Artemisia

Artemisia Moltabocca
You haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Lady Anne Clare

I absolutely fell in love with this.  I'm nowhere near being able to make this yet, but one day I will attempt it.
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)