News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Important Information Regarding GLMF'S Future

Started by wyldfire, August 03, 2009, 09:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyldfire

Sorry everyone, with all going on I haven't had much time to post.....

I would think to keep abreast, just review:

http://tay666.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=bs

It will keep you up to date, show all the news articles, reference letters written, etc.

Thank you ALL for you help, support, and most importantly, friendship!

To everyone that was able to get to the trustee meeting last night, THANK YOU!!!!!   ;)
Mrs. Sot *LOL*  That there's funny.....I don't care who you are!!!!

Xantrawler

I have been following your trials and tribulations and while I have never been to the GLMF and I know none of you, I have sat here and supported you in spirit and prayer. I have developed unkind thoughts about your trusties, but a great deal of respect for Larry Rickard. Larry sounds like the type of man any communities would love to have. He brings employment, entertainment and tourists, yet does not stop there. He helps a number of charities, he gives back to the community. Our local Volunteer Fire Dept. and Ambulance Corp would love this man.(For those of you who don't know, a class A pumper runs well over $250000, not counting the equipment.) Anywhere else he would be recognized and praised. In Trumbull he's harassed and hounded. He may have legal grounds to sue the Township, but he is not. I for one would not blame him, but I assume he isn't because he knows it would not hurt the ones responsible and put a bigger financial burden on the people. I feel this has gone beyond a personal vendetta, beyond just mear harassment. My suggestion is for all of you to contact your state's Attorney General and see about an investigation of the trusties. There is something not right here.
Now for a little happier news. The wife and I have reached a point, financially and time wise, where we can do things. This was our first year of going to a Ren Faire (Sterling.) We plan on going many times next year. We also were trying to figure out what other faire we could go to. I say was because when we heard about what you are suffering through we decided if GLMF is back next year, (And from the sounds of it you will be) We will be visiting for a weekend as a show of support. I know just one couple is not much, but I LAY DOWN A CHALLENGE TO ALL WHO READ THIS AND HAVE NEVER BEEN, Follow our lead and support our fellow Faire folks. Spend 1 weekend at GLMF. We won't change the weak of minds, but Larry and the rest should know they have our support.
Sorry for the long post, but I felt I needed to say what I have. Good Luck in your battle.

BeerBlessings

This a (rather large) comment I posted in response to the Plain Dealer article. (I didn't even mention the guy with the arrows, because it was previously mentioned in the article's comments..)

------------------------------
Some things to mention about the meeting..

There was a board outside for supporters to sign.. They ran out of room and had to get additional paper to get all 189 names, with occupations listed showing that we are real people...There were even people that came from as far as Pittsburgh to attend!

The meeting started about 8:00PM. I left at 11:00. It was still going on around 11:30. I don't know when it finally ended... When they say the meeting was heated, it's quite literal. 100 people in one room with no AC.. I spent most of the time at the doorway or the window in the back.

Trustee Chairman Ron Tamburino was trying to silence people by requiring anyone to states their full name and address before they speak, saying that Trumbull residents need to know where everyone present was from. Tamborino dodged the question a number of times when asked if it's legal to require addresses.

Later, when someone asked for Tamborino's address, he said "You can direct everything to me here at 'Trustee's Office'."

One person that was speaking in favor of the Faire made a number of good points, and Tamborino asked the deputy sheriff that he be removed because "He spoke enough already." The sheriff said "He's not out of hand" and didn't remove the speaker.

A question of how much money and time was wasted in having the Ashtabula sheriff's office issue citations to all the vendors.. The same speaker that was asked to be removed stated that all the citations that were given to the vendors will not be prosecuted. (The court date was earlier that day, but no transient vendors were ever on the docket.) The speaker has a letter from the Prosecutor stating that they will not be pursued. To which Tamborino said that the Prosecutor's letter will not stick. (Tamborino's a lawyer.. Disputing a letter from the Prosecutor's Office? Err?)

(I also understand that Tamburino is under a gag order concerning money from the beer sales at the Faire.  I was not inside the the meeting at the time when he broke it, so I am not sure what all he said about it. -frown- )

(My opinion: Tamborino is a lawyer that should know better than to attempt such legally dubious tactics in order to silence peoples' voices.. or perhaps it's because he knows how to attempt to..  There's that little thing called "Freedom of Speech", and these people are there to exercise that right in the proper manner, and there are explicit attempts to silence them. I pray for his employer's sake that this man isn't as dubious with them as he is with the citizens he represents!..)

One of the GLMF vendors asked "Before I open my shop on Saturday, do I need a Transient Vendor's License for just myself, or one for every person that works for me?" Tamborino, co-author of the "Transient Vendor Resolution", said that is was not his prerogative to interpret the law and the person should direct questions to the Prosecutor's Office... Vendor:  "I already called the Prosecutor, and he said I should ask the township, which is why I am here." Tamborino continually referred any questions about the Transient Vendor Licenses to the Prosecutor's Office, despite demonstrating that he knows what the resolution says.

He also dodges questions about where the authority for the Transient Vendor resolution came from, and said to ask the Prosecutor or legal counsel. He consistently said that the Trustee Board does not have the authority to interpret its own resolution.. (Despite being the ones who wrote it!)

Tamborino also claimed that the vendors and Larry (Faire owner) are using this is a PR marketing scheme. (Umm.. Doesn't make sense to me. If the trustees left it alone, it wouldn't be in the spotlight like it is and in no way shape or form could it be marketing.)

Channel 3 was there.. They broadcast the part about the potholes.. However, they didn't include the part where one of the Trustees (William Clay I believe.) was asked why he was arrested.. {trespassing and harassment, FYI} .. He said he was at the Faire site on township business.. And the Channel 3 reporter asked (I may get some words in reverse order, as it was hard to hear where I was) "For the third time, were you, while you were working representing the township, arrested for trespassing and harassment?"

A resident claimed the Board is not representing the community. William Clay said that he does not care, and will try to take on the Faire no matter what. When asked if he will continue to fight the Faire even if the township tells him not to, William Clay said Yes. It was suggested by an audience member that perhaps a referendum be taken to get the townships opinion.. A speaker asked "Will you stop if the residents vote you out of office?", followed by applause that made the response hard to hear. "Not even then."

Tamborino and Clay are both up for re-election in November....

Trustees trying to silence opinions.. Dodging questions of legality... Refusing to answer questions regarding a resolution that they themselves wrote.. Giving people the run-around and very few straight answers.. Trespassing and directly harrassing people at the Faire.. Admitting that they will fight the Faire even if the residents of the township tell them not to...

Tell me.. Is it not apparent that this is a rather personal battle for these trustees? And one that they are admittedly waging with taxpayer dollars footing the bill while the township can't get potholes filled.....

$60,000 just since June 2008.. Not to mention the previous 13 years of lawsuits that the trustees have never won. Curious how many tax dollars were spent on that. And curious what could have been done with that money.
--------------------------

mumsies

I am hoping to see many, many faces at GLMF this weekend, and when we sing our song at the end of the day, we are able to sing it with the hope that "we WILL all see each other again". I hope that all of this has raised awareness of the faire, and how much it means to so many people, and will have a positive impact in the days to come! See you all soon!

Athena

Amen, Bonnie! I can't wait to go tomorrow, have fun and support the faire. Long live Avaloch!
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Terry Griffith

The song I proised, "Long Live Avaloch" is now up on YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/user/TerryGriffith1

Here's the lyrics:

Long Live Avaloch
By Terry Griffith

While traveling through Ohio one morning last July
I was looking for diversion to help the time pass by.
Along the road I saw a sign for the Medieval Faire.
It sounded so appealing that I took the family there.

There was jousting and music and smiles on every face.
Games for all the kiddies and merriment filled the place.
The food, the beer, the revelry made us all feel fine.
I felt like we had traveled back to another place in time.

Long live Avaloch and the family I found there.
Long live the Great Lakes Medieval Faire.

When the day was over it was time to go away.
We had to spend the night there to come back another day.
The money spent was worth the cost and any one could see
The faire was just a benefit to the whole community.

Now nearby Trumbull Township was ruled by politics.
The greedy and the jealous were starting to have fits.
They couldn't get their hands on the money being made
So they passed a legislation that would cause the faire to fade.

"We don't know who these folks are" they cried with feigned concern.
"We must protect our citizens in case they might get burned.
The price of all the lawsuits is worth the cost to bear
There's money to made here and we must have our share".

The years of frivolous lawsuits have cost the Township much.
The mounting bills for lawyers and court costs and such.
It's time for all the people who put these men in charge
To see their taxes wasted on egos that are large.

Behind closed doors they gathered to plan their evil plot.
They thought no one would notice but there's one thing they forgot.
When citizens have had enough of bullying by the trolls
They only have to stand up by voting at the polls.

So they had a meeting to discuss the future of the faire
People came from miles around and the media was there.
They watched as Tamberrino hid behind his wool.
Now we know in Trumbull wherein resides the bull.

"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

mumsies

Terry-that song is awesome!!!!! Any chance we are going to get to hear it sung at pub sing to close out the season? Hope to see you there!

evan

"Don't get TRUMBULL on your mind"
     (combines the chorus from the Carolina Chocolate Drops "Don't get Trouble on your mind" and the tune from the Chocolate Drops "Sourwood Mountain")  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Eu8Jrv7ZY&NR=1
                               http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGEMovVWmT4

By the way; the Carolina Chocolate Drops will be performing at several venues in Ohio this Fall.

Here come all the folks dressed up so fine
       Don't get TRUMBULL on your mind, don't get TRUMBULL on your mind
Goin t'the faire t'have a real good time
       Don't get TRUMBULL on your mind

Hang on to your purse, hang on to your pastle
Township there gonna make some hassle

Town trustees want to line their pockets
Fined the artists, put 'em on the docket

Thought they had us licked but it was fleeting
          Don't get TRUMBULL on your mind, don't get TRUMBLE on your mind
Faire folks packed that township meeting

T.V., Newspapers all took notice
Maybe it'll reach the Trumbull voters

evan

We made statewide radio news (Ohio Public Radio), thanks to the Plain Dealer article.

Hey, Jim Trafficant is due to be released from Federal prison soon. Maybe he could run for Trumbull TWP Trustee! The people of Trumbull County elected him to Congress before he was convicted on charges of corruption and bribery. For Trumbull TWP it would be a step up!

Terry Griffith

A better version of the song "Long Live Avaloch" has been published to YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YSfPamQn8o
If you have viewed the first one, please visit this one so we won't lose the hits.  If you left a comment on the old one, please put it on the new version.  If you haven't viewed it yet, please check it out.  The more hits it receives, the greater the impact when the Trustees see it is being spread around.  Please feel free to leave a comment.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Capt. Morgan

In today's Plain Dealer:

In today's Plain Dealer::

Fie on the foes of the Great Lakes Medieval Faire -- an editorial
by The editors
Thursday August 20, 2009, 4:19 AM

A pox on politicians who make sport of the Great Lakes Medieval Faire.

Wherefore art they so knuckle-headed?

The Trumbull Township trustees have spent 13 years wasting taxpayer money and losing court cases in an effort to bludgeon the Medieval Faire into oblivion.

The six-weekend-long event -- which just concluded its 17th year of jousters, jesters and jugglers -- is a moneymaker. The director of the Ashtabula County Convention and Visitors Bureau describes it as a key portion of the county's $346 million annual tourism take.

Trustees Chairman Ron Tamburrino cites health and safety concerns, but Lt. Greg Leonhard says the Sheriff's Department gets more complaints about the county fair.

Embattled owner Larry Rickard hosts the Medieval Faire on his property -- nearly 180 acres transformed into the 13th-century Village of Avaloch. But the cost of fighting frivolous court actions has topped $1 million and is taking a toll on the faire's future.

It is the largest employer in the township and one of the largest in the county, hiring more than 500 people.

Hundreds of supporters showed up at a recent meeting to protest the three township trustees' logic-defying -- and costly -- feud with the faire. Just in the past year, Tamburrino told residents the township had spent about $60,000 on litigation.

The trustees would better serve their constituents by filling potholes rather than enriching lawyers -- especially now that Rickard has run afoul of a higher power: The state attorney general has accused him of misappropriating funds meant for charities. If something's rotten in Avaloch, the faire will be on shaky ground.
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

anne of oaktower

Did I read that correctly?  The States Attorney General is accusing Larry of misappropriating funds meant for charity?!  WTH??? 
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Capt. Morgan

All the charities contacted said they received the monies. I think it was more an attempt by the trustee's to misdirect attention away from them and their shady doings.

As it stands, there are now 4 people running for trustee's in the township...the 2 narrow minded , crooked gits who started this mess, Clay & Tamburrino

...and two of our own, Russ Griffith (brother of Hoss and a volunteer Fire/EMT guy who works the First Aid Tent at GLMF) and Kovach, whom I'm not familiar with but he gets a thumbs up from Russ and Chris and that's good enough for me!  ;)
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

Professor M

Quote from: Capt. Morgan on August 21, 2009, 09:54:18 AM
All the charities contacted said they received the monies. I think it was more an attempt by the trustee's to misdirect attention away from them and their shady doings.

As it stands, there are now 4 people running for trustee's in the township...the 2 narrow minded , crooked gits who started this mess, Clay & Tamburrino

...and two of our own, Russ Griffith (brother of Hoss and a volunteer Fire/EMT guy who works the First Aid Tent at GLMF) and Kovach, whom I'm not familiar with but he gets a thumbs up from Russ and Chris and that's good enough for me!  ;)

If either of these guys want to hold a campaign fundraiser (are they even done at that level?) give me a shout.  I'll do whatever I can.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

trevor ylisaari

Yup.
They have all kinds of support if they ned it.

Actually have had to tell people on my board to wait and see what they need/want before doing anything. Several people were all set to start plastering flyiers all over the county :D