News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Important Information Regarding GLMF'S Future

Started by wyldfire, August 03, 2009, 09:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady de la Warr

OK - here's my 2 cents on all of this......................

Quote from: Xantrawler on August 14, 2009, 12:14:52 PM
I have been following your trials and tribulations and while I have never been to the GLMF and I know none of you, I have sat here and supported you in spirit and prayer. I have developed unkind thoughts about your trusties, but a great deal of respect for Larry Rickard. Larry sounds like the type of man any communities would love to have. He brings employment, entertainment and tourists, yet does not stop there. He helps a number of charities, he gives back to the community. Our local Volunteer Fire Dept. and Ambulance Corp would love this man.(For those of you who don't know, a class A pumper runs well over $250000, not counting the equipment.) Anywhere else he would be recognized and praised. In Trumbull he's harassed and hounded. He may have legal grounds to sue the Township, but he is not. I for one would not blame him, but I assume he isn't because he knows it would not hurt the ones responsible and put a bigger financial burden on the people. I feel this has gone beyond a personal vendetta, beyond just mear harassment. My suggestion is for all of you to contact your state's Attorney General and see about an investigation of the trusties. There is something not right here.
Now for a little happier news. The wife and I have reached a point, financially and time wise, where we can do things. This was our first year of going to a Ren Faire (Sterling.) We plan on going many times next year. We also were trying to figure out what other faire we could go to. I say was because when we heard about what you are suffering through we decided if GLMF is back next year, (And from the sounds of it you will be) We will be visiting for a weekend as a show of support. I know just one couple is not much, but I LAY DOWN A CHALLENGE TO ALL WHO READ THIS AND HAVE NEVER BEEN, Follow our lead and support our fellow Faire folks. Spend 1 weekend at GLMF. We won't change the weak of minds, but Larry and the rest should know they have our support.
Sorry for the long post, but I felt I needed to say what I have. Good Luck in your battle.

Well, I HAVE been to GLMF many many times. In fact it was originally my home faire and I was a frequent visitor until I moved away - and Xantrawler, I couldn't have said it better myself. Anywhere else Larry would be welcomed with open arms - as a hero even. You know, in a place that is so terribly depressed that jobs are practically nonexistent and people are begging for the smallest amount of work for the minutest amount of pay and are suffering because of it you would think that the so called public "servants" would be GLAD that someone is providing jobs for people. Something is rotten in Denmark and it's name is (are?) Tamborino and Clay. I do think Larry has legal grounds to sue someone - whether it be the township or the 2 parties personally - for harassment if nothing else - but I'm sure if a good lawyer looked at this mess he could come up with some great grounds for a lawsuit. I cannot believe that personal vendetta is playing out publicly like this and no one is doing anything to stop it - as in where are all the lawyers who could fight fire with fire here? Larry could use your help and I KNOW there are lawyers who enjoy and even frequent faires. So.....HELLO???? But....I digress on that point.

Quote from: evan on August 15, 2009, 04:14:51 AM
We made statewide radio news (Ohio Public Radio), thanks to the Plain Dealer article.

Hey, Jim Trafficant is due to be released from Federal prison soon. Maybe he could run for Trumbull TWP Trustee! The people of Trumbull County elected him to Congress before he was convicted on charges of corruption and bribery. For Trumbull TWP it would be a step up!

Now the subject of Jim Trafficant opens up a whole 'nother can of worms and is a bit of a sore spot with me. I agree evan - you could do FAR worse than Jim Trafficant. I know this sounds cliche but.......Jim was railroaded. He did a WONDERFUL job for Trumbull County -  I was a resident of Trumbull County when all the crap went down that put him in prison - and long before that too. I voted for him many times. I saw what was going on and know what is right and what is not as far as all the rumors and talk that went around. Bottom line is this......think about it, if he hadn't been doing his job by bringing in jobs and money for the county he wouldn't have been re-elected over and over and OVER again. He worked very hard for the people of Trumbull County and the only reason he went to prison is because he stepped on the wrong person's toes. Who that was I haven't a clue but Jim wasn't doing anything all the rest of them weren't doing - and I'm willing to bet the person whose toes he stepped on was guiltier than he was of the same shenanigans.

So yes - I think having him as a Trustee is a wonderful idea. I'd like to see Tamborino and Clay stand up to HIM. Well, I'd like to see them try because they would soon find they had bit off WAY more than they could chew as I KNOW he would prove to be a most worthy and troublesome adversary.

OK - I guess that's a bit more than 2 cents but there it is. I wish I lived closer so I could attend these meetings and be more active in helping to put a stop to this nonsense, but it's very difficult to do anything from Maryland. And like I have read several times - the trustees don't care what ANYBODY thinks - even their own residents (who elected them by the way) - so they surely don't care what someone from the Washington, DC area thinks.

OK - rant done. Off the soapbox. Thanks for listening.

mumsies

Lady de la Warr

Jim Trafficant got out of prison today and hasn't decided whether to retire or return to public life.

I'll bet he could be persuaded to return to public life............

trevor ylisaari

Don't need him.

There are already 2 candidates that are running against the 2 incumbents that are up for re-election this fall.

This is the best case scenario. 4 candidates for 2 positions.
Unlike last time they were up, there aren't a bunch of prospects to split the votes against them.

One of the candidates is even part of the faire family.
Russ. He is one of the 1st Aid guys at faire every year.

Lady de la Warr

I agree Trevor - don't want too many candidates splitting the vote.

Well good. Having a fellow rennie in there would be awesome. I wish him and the other candidate the best of luck. Really need to kick those other bums out of there.

Capt. Morgan

Well...this just sucks major bilge water...despite valiant efforts by Russ and his friend Robert, the same crooked ol' cronies have been re-elected. I wonder how bold this win will make them in their vendetta against Larry and the Faire....

Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!  >:(

Trumbull Twp - Trustee TOWNSHIP OF TRUMBULL
(Vote For Not More Than ) 2

WILLIS CLAY. . . . . . . . . . 282 28.78
RUSSELL GRIFFITH . . . . . . . . 162 16.53
ROBERT KOVACH . . . . . . . . . 180 18.37
RON TAMBURRINO. . . . . . . . . 356 36.33
Total . . . . . . . . . 980
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

Athena

Yep, it's gonna be really bumpy, but I'm not about to get off of that rollercoaster.

If the people of Trumbull Township want a Boss Hogg style government, then more power to 'em. Doesn't mean the rest of us have to sit back and keep our mouths shut. We'll have to keep an eye on them and make our voices heard when they start up their shenanigans again. It was great seeing them sweat when people came out in droves to the meetings the media took notice, and no doubt we can do that again. Not sure how much of a difference, if any it'll make, but those trustees have been a thorn in the side of Larry and GLMF for years and they need the favor returned.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

SirMichael

Greetings all,

Larry gave us all an early Christmas present, the Great Lakes Medieval Faire posted the 2010 dates on it's web today. Pre-sale tickets for 2010 are also on sale. Looks like the Faire is a go for 2010.

Sir Michael of Mentor
Knight Commander - Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem 
Pontis Mori Quam Foedari - Deus Lo Vult!

Rahne

Yay, I just ordered my season passes and extra tickets for friends that we drag along every year.  Can't wait.
"Don't part with your illusions.
When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live"
Mark Twain

ladylissame

I am planning on attending at least one weekend in 2010. I cannot wait!

Rack44101

I have read this whole forum, and understood all the trials & tribulations within. Any detailed opinion aside, I, too, will be attending GLMF this year. It's just up the road, too, for convenience, and of course it's never a problem when it comes to having fun with family and friends.

Carl

We will be back again and bringing more Mirf'ers
( returns Lord Higgins wave and raises a tankard of ale)
Castleteer
Bretheren of the Great Lakes
Outlander
FOKTOP
True heirto the Duchy of Savoy
Rivet'n Penny

Kathi with an AYE!

Hello GLMF'ers

Sorry to hear about all the trouble you all are having there.  Very glad GLMF is still on for 2010.  I have a group from MDRF (Maryland) interested in coming up for a visit and to show our support.  We were trying to find out the dates for Pyrate Weekend for invasion.  Any idea when that might be?  The web page has not been updated recently. 

We would also need info on nearby accommodations too?  We have a few folks who enjoy camping and a few who don't. 

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Kathi with an AYE!  (MDRF)

Kathi with an AYE!
Pyrate Wench, Goddess of the Purple
Morale Officer of the Frigate Up Royally

Kathi with an AYE!

Master Rayvne,

Thanks for the info!  Motel 6 sounds good and so does the food! Yum.   
When it rains at MDRF we have fun huddling at the pub singing along with The Pyrates Royale and The O'Danny Girls, and maybe a game of Liar's Dice.   

As soon as you all find out the dates for Pirate Weekend, please let me know so we can start planning. 

Kathi with an AYE!
Pyrate Wench, Goddess of the Purple
Morale Officer of the Frigate Up Royally

SirMichael

Hello Lady Kathi,

I ordered my season pass yesterday and they told me the theme weekends should be posted in the next few weeks.

Have a great day...

Sir Michael of Mentor
Knight Commander - Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem 
Pontis Mori Quam Foedari - Deus Lo Vult!