News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Corinthian Armor

Started by Chris B, June 04, 2008, 09:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris B

I just completed a 5th Century Greek Corinthian Impression.  I know it is ancient, but know many of you enjoy this stuff as much as I do.  I figured you could enjoy the work that went into it.

I made the muscled cuirass out of 16 gauge commercial bronze sheet.  I made the greaves out of 18 gauge commercial bronze sheet.  I made the scabbard, chiton, aspis (shield), sub-armor, crest box and crest, painted the helmet, lined the helmet, and made the spear.  It took several hundred hours but I am very happy with it.  I am planning on wearing it to the Texas Renaissance Festival for All Hallow's Eve. 

escherblacksmith

very cool, you are insane, but it is very cool!

just out of curiosity, and because it isn't a timeframe I have done any research on, how accurate is it?

--

Chris B

It is extremely historically accurate.  I frequent Roman Army Talk forums and have made this set over a two year period with many of their help.  If you know anything about Roman Era reenactors, they are some of the most strenuous on historical accuracy.  It meets their muster for a kit.  This would be representive of a 5th Century Corinthian Hoplite from the Hylleis Doric tribe.

It is important to note that the Greeks were highly individualized in their looks.  They literally dressed for battle and appearance was a very important part of their gear.

Poldugarian Warrior

Historically realistic or not, it looks great. I'd cast you in a movie if i were to make one in that period. The shield drawing of Pegasus is extremely interesting and cool. Since it lends to the mythological beliefs of the Greeks and you can identify your armor by that symbol. Without it I may have thought you were a Roman warrior had you not given a brief description before your pictures. Good work.

Black Armor

That's really nice.  How did you form the metal like that?  Did you have to hammer it by hand?

Chris B

Thanks.  Yes, I beat it out with various hammers by dishing, raising, and planishing.  I made both the cuirass and the greaves in the same manner.

Since you mentioned it, this is my roman armor which is quite a bit different.

And Viking

And Templar

And Medieval Knight

They are all historically accurate for their respective time periods.  I figured I would share the pics again since they all got deleted.  I know I like seeing other people's set-ups and figure some of you might like them too. 

Poldugarian Warrior

You have quite a nice collection of armor there. Hope it ages well. Metals are tough to keep in good condition.