News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Do you know this horse?

Started by analise, August 03, 2009, 08:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

analise

http://static.equine.com/listing_images//8/8/9/889047_11130527_hd.jpg

http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sale/horse-ad-889047.html?sr=1

So I'm in the market for a horse. This guy sounds like pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. And it also looks like he was at PARF at some point? (Horse is located in Manheim and those are jousting pictures...). Uh. So...do you know this horse? Just sort of curious about him and what random Internet people might have to say. ;)

McGuinness

Vada is for sale?? He was at PaRF for years, the lead horse in the joust most of the years. He always seemed steady and John Lucas, the knight you saw riding him in red and gold, could get him to do just about anything. He was always a great horse whenever I saw him. Now that John has left the faire, looks like he's not riding Vada anymore. I don't know anything about horses, but Vada always seemed like a great horse if you're in the market.

Edit: Now that I look again, I recognize the name of the seller. She was head of equine at the faire for a while and did some squiring and riding the past few seasons. Great person and knows her horses. I'd trust her as a seller.

analise

Thanks!

He looks like a really nice boy and I'm definitely intrigued enough to see about driving up to check him out, just a little leery after the last horse that was supposedly "very quiet" bucked when I asked her to canter and I ended up with a pretty impressively sprained ankle out of the bargain. :)

And it looks like, from another ad posted by the same seller, that they're selling all their horses?

DarkLord

A trained warhorse.  You are indeed lucky.  I'm most envious.
Bringer of Doom and Pestilence

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

Wow! He indeed is a beautiful horse, good luck Analise.
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

analise

So they haven't gotten back to me yet (argh, sitting on pins and needles! I really want to go look at him!) but I was was poking around the internet and came across this article: http://queue.typepad.com/renaissance_faires/2007/09/john-lukas-aka-.html It implies John Lukas owns (owned?) Vada? Just curious why this other person is selling him then.

Mostly I guess I'm wondering if the horse is as amazing as he seems to be, why he's for sale and not still with a jousting troupe somewhere still (12 isn't really all that old). But maybe I shouldn't look a *ahem* gift horse in the mouth?

Lady Amy of York

It could be  that the horse is  being  sold  for  financial reasons.

That is how  i came  to own  my Arabian horse  that i have.

A few  years ago i came  across an  ad in the paper  fro  an Arabian mare. She  was selling  for  way  lower  then what an Arabian  should  sell  for.   

I was very skepitical, but went  to see her anyway . She  was absolutely  gorgeous  and  sound, no vices,  and  i started  to feel  abit uneasy. Why were they selling her  so  cheap ?

Ends up the owners  had fallen on hard  times, and  they hated  to sell her, but  they needed  the  cash  to pay bills.

So i was able  to help a family out  who was in  a crisis, and  give  a wonderful horse  a good  home.

I hope it  turns  out  well  for  you. Vada  is  a  terrific  looking  horse.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

analise

Thanks! It could very well be that, I know it's happened to a lot of people.

Now I'm just paranoid he's already sold or they didn't like my "hi, I really like your horse, can I come see him?" email or something because they haven't contacted me back yet and I have to keep reminding myself that not everybody in the world checks their email all day. (I would've called, but there's no phone number listed on the ad)

mariab4

Aye!  I remember this horse from the many jousts.  He's quiet and willing.  I assume you plan to have him vetted before purchasing?

Maria

analise

Quote from: mariab4 on August 05, 2009, 07:46:56 PM
Aye!  I remember this horse from the many jousts.  He's quiet and willing.  I assume you plan to have him vetted before purchasing?

Maria

Yep, assuming I get in touch with the seller, I plan on going up to look at him and if I like him, I'll put a deposit on him and have a vet come out for the PPE. I'm also going to have at least one person whose horsey-experience I trust more than my own to go with me so I don't get caught up in the "oooh shiny". :)

analise

I just had someone point out to me that if the seller is still involved (I assume she is?) with PARF, that she's probably getting ready for the faire to start this weekend (and, argh, that did just now occur to me if I want to go see the horse I'll probably HAVE to drive up on a weekday afternoon/evening after work if they'll be busy with faire on the weekends) and that may be why I haven't heard anything yet. So, uh, if you happen to run into her at PARF this weekend, think you could sort of casually drop that there's someone on the R|F.com forums very interested in her horse? :)

McGuinness

Quote from: analise on August 06, 2009, 07:48:22 AM
I just had someone point out to me that if the seller is still involved (I assume she is?) with PARF, that she's probably getting ready for the faire to start this weekend (and, argh, that did just now occur to me if I want to go see the horse I'll probably HAVE to drive up on a weekday afternoon/evening after work if they'll be busy with faire on the weekends) and that may be why I haven't heard anything yet. So, uh, if you happen to run into her at PARF this weekend, think you could sort of casually drop that there's someone on the R|F.com forums very interested in her horse? :)

She is no longer with the faire. If she visits and I see her around, I'll try to mention it.

analise

Quote from: Colleen McGuinness on August 06, 2009, 07:52:53 AM
Quote from: analise on August 06, 2009, 07:48:22 AM

She is no longer with the faire. If she visits and I see her around, I'll try to mention it.

Thanks!

analise

Big thanks to whoever flagged Chelsea (the seller) over facebook for me. We got in touch and I'm going to see Vada tomorrow!

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

Ohhhh how I envy you Analise.  I saw Vada going through the ring of fire at PARF a few years back.  I was so amazed I went back the next day at the same time and watched the ring of fire part through my camera lens so I could get some pix.  
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

analise

Quote from: Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia on August 08, 2009, 05:29:07 PM
Ohhhh how I envy you Analise.  I saw Vada going through the ring of fire at PARF a few years back.  I was so amazed I went back the next day at the same time and watched the ring of fire part through my camera lens so I could get some pix.  

Oooh, you have pics? Can I see them? :D!

McGuinness

Quote from: analise on August 08, 2009, 11:58:05 AM
Big thanks to whoever flagged Chelsea (the seller) over facebook for me. We got in touch and I'm going to see Vada tomorrow!

You're welcome. Glad you finally got in touch and I hope things work out for you!  :)

FaireGirl69

analise,

It is my understanding that John Lukas is not jousting anywhere anymore - I know he's a physical personal trainer at a gym nowadays.  So this may be why she's selling the horse and he's not?  I haven't talked to him recently but I can find out details if you want?

Any specific questions you want me to ask John when I contact him?

Hope you get him as Vada deserves to go to a person who will love him and take good care of him.  He's a wonderful horse!
- Dolores in PA

"If they outlaw guns, can we go back to using swords?" - bumper sticker saying

analise

I guess I should have updated this.

It's okay, FaireGirl69, I got some more of the details this past Sunday when I went to see Vada. He really is a lovely horse and a very nice guy and I did like him, but I sat on it overnight and came to the conclusion that he isn't the horse for me, alas. As a consolation prize, here is a pretty pic of him working in the round pen :):

FaireGirl69

- Dolores in PA

"If they outlaw guns, can we go back to using swords?" - bumper sticker saying

Dress Your Dreams

can I ask what the asking price is?  (I don't want to be nosy, just interested.) 

Susan

analise

$2500, there's more information in the link in my first post on the thread. :)