News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Rapier with a Kilt?

Started by batninja, August 05, 2009, 10:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

batninja

So my friend has persuaded me to embrace my Scottish heritage (on my mother's side), and look into getting a kilt before this year's Texas Renaissance Festival opening.

I've got several leads on kilt styles and tartans, but I have an accessory question.  I have a favorite rapier.  Is it faux pas to wear a rapier with a kilt?

It ain't the years, it's the mileage.

bellevivre

Remember the 'Auld Alliance' between the French and Scottish courts... I dont think anyone will take it amiss- my hubby wears a rapier and main gauche with his kilt and we've never had a bad comment... now, if it's a GREAT kilt (as in, the kind you have to wrap yourself) he wears a broadsword...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

No, Cousin... it's not.  Not all Scots carried Great Claymores or Basket Hilts. what type of rapier?
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

batninja

My father's heritage is Swiss, and I'm left-handed, so I went with the Germanic ambidextrous Pappenheimer rapier.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

nice!  That would go well with a kilt, especially if you are shooting for the "nobleman" look.  ;)
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

I wear a piper's dirk, multiple sgain dubh's, and carry me Blackthorn walking stick... i have a Great Claymore but it's to cumbersome for an all day carry.  Next year it's a Basket Hilt for me.
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

SirRichardBear

I carried a rapier with my kilt for years before getting a basket.  My story was that I picked it up while fighting in the low country.  Remember Scottish mercenries fought all over the continent and picked up all types of weapons.  I also carry a warhammer I've never had anyone say anything negative about either.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

batninja

Thanks for the warm fuzzies, guys.  Makes me feel alot better.  :)

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

If you are going to be at TRF, All Hallow's Eve... come by the Prince of Wales around noon... (that's the meet & greet for RF'ers)  I'll be there with my McLotofus breathern.
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

batninja

Yeah, I've stopped by POW a few times, met a few of you...but since I don't go as often as everyone else, I didn't feel that 'family' vibe.   :)   Maybe this year!

Lairde Daniel

Any kilt wearer is always "family"!  Look forward to seeing you.
Virtutis gloria merces
The Order of Culloden Moor

SirRichardBear

And next season at Scraborough come by the drink both below the Falcon stage around noon and meet the queens own highlanders.  But be warned you will most likely be asked to do the death march.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

groomporter

Quote from: SirRichardBear on August 05, 2009, 02:05:35 PM
  Remember Scottish mercenries fought all over the continent and picked up all types of weapons.

Yup Exactly!
I carry a Pappenheimer-hilted rapier myself when portraying my retired mercenary persona.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Hatter

I don't carry a sword with my kilt.  I have a Dirk and sgain dubh that I wear.  I have enough other things on my belt so a sword would be cumbersome.
They were made by Wm Lloyd Studio. Dirk is ivory and the sgain dubh is antler.

Lairde Daniel

Awsome hatter!  I have a baskethilt I carry, but sometimes it's a dirk and a blackthorn walking stick
Virtutis gloria merces
The Order of Culloden Moor

Poldugarian Warrior

That is an awesome,sgain dubh. I would think though as a Scotsman since they were equal oppurtunity warriors, a whole range of weapons would look good with a kilt. The claymores, basket hilts, and broadswords are certainly most suitable, but a rapier, small axe, or even a short schimitar/cutlass wouldn't be out of the question. I've seen a few kilt wearing guys, whom carry small axes, and some short cutlasses. I think though it has to do with the style of the hilt, more than the type of weapon itself. A hilt with Celtic knots would be perfect, but I think the Pappenheimer is a fine hilt, covering many different cultures. As you know many people in those times also bought imported blades and armor, so it's not uncommon to own a blade/armor from a different country in those days. So I say wear the rapier.