News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Roll Call - Memorial Weekend

Started by Master James, May 21, 2008, 09:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Aldyth

Quote from: Feline Groovy on May 22, 2008, 04:09:33 PM
Quote from: will paisley on May 22, 2008, 11:31:43 AM

You just haven't met the right children yet.   :D
Yes he has... he was around Taylor all last year! LOL
(The child honestly thinks "The Scotsman's Kilt" is a good song for the bus on school field trips!)

lowlandscot

Quote from: Lady Aldyth on May 23, 2008, 10:55:59 AM
(The child honestly thinks "The Scotsman's Kilt" is a good song for the bus on school field trips!)

Oh Lord.....I guess I Will-proofed Pirate Anne by corrupting her myself first. The first popular song (i.e. not a nursery rhyme or something off Veggie Tales) she got by heart was The Pogues' "Sickbed of Cuchullain"

And we'll sing a song of liberty for blacks and Paks and Jocks, and take you from this dump you're in and stick you in a box.....

I smooth over any troubles at her (Catholic no less!) school by handing out single malt Scotch for the teachers' Christmas presents.

will paisley

Quote from: Feline Groovy on May 22, 2008, 04:09:33 PM

Quote from: will paisley on May 22, 2008, 11:31:43 AM
(and *nobody* believes me when I tell them that "Johnny Came Home Headless" is a children's song!)

You just haven't met the right children yet.   :D

Believe it or not, I had a 10 year old following me around last year, telling everybody within earshot how I sang him the funniest song about a guy without a head.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

will paisley

Quote from: lowlandscot on May 23, 2008, 12:41:23 PM

Oh Lord.....I guess I Will-proofed Pirate Anne by corrupting her myself first. The first popular song (i.e. not a nursery rhyme or something off Veggie Tales) she got by heart was The Pogues' "Sickbed of Cuchullain"

And we'll sing a song of liberty for blacks and Paks and Jocks, and take you from this dump you're in and stick you in a box.....

Thanks for reminding me - I tried looking up that alternate version of Scotland the Brave you told me about (which I thought was by the Corrs), but came up empty.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

jmkhalfmoon

Hi All,

Sunday of last was a glorious day at the faire!  We truly enjoyed the day and hope to return again this season.

By chance, did anyone get pictures of the men's costume contest on Sunday?  Our portrait making device (camera) was in my Lord's bag whilst he was up on stage.  I carried the contraption around all day and only got one or two images and none of his new garb.  Silly me.

Until next time,
Lady Jayne

lowlandscot

Quote from: will paisley on May 28, 2008, 11:13:09 AM
I tried looking up that alternate version of Scotland the Brave you told me about (which I thought was by the Corrs), but came up empty.

I've got the lyrics written down here somewhere, but I originally learned it off this YouTube video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kK6LkpfZ94s

There's some stuff in there I don't get, probably referring to some Edinburgh municipal scandals that happened 20 years ago, and it's so racially un-PC (mocking Pakistanis, "wee fat Jews", and "'turbans on our buskin drivers" among others) I doubt they could perform it on BBC these days. I was in Edinburgh last autumn and the line about "highrise flats with concrete lavvies" is exactly correct.

lowlandscot

Found it! A lot of it's kind of inside baseball, but I do love the verses about the kilt.

And if you like obscure Celtic parodies -- I've got also "Welsh History 101" set to the tune of "Ashgrove."

----------------------------------
Land o' the purple heather,
Land o' the dirty weather,
Land where the midges gaither,
Scotland The Brave.

Land o' the Pakistanis,
Andy Capp and Saturday's Sannies
Land where they sell their grannies
Scotland The Brave

Used to say in faithers day
You could hear the bagpipes play
But now you hear the regal tones
O' Elton John and the Rolling Stones

Land that is full of stinkers
Wee fat Jews and V.P. drinkers
Whisky put a lot o' stinkers
Into Scottish graves

Land that is full o' skivvers,
Comic Singers, deep sea divers,
Turbans on our bus'kin' drivers
Scotland The Brave

Land o' the brutal bobbies
Councillers wi' part-time jobbies
Architects wi' paying hobbies
Scotland The Brave

The tourists come here every year
To see all our historic gear
But all they see is loads o' navvies
High rise flats wi' concrete lavvies

Land o' the "Arctic" lorries,
Andy Stewart, and twa Corries
Land where everybody borries
Scotland The Brave

Land o' the Kilt and Sporran
Underneath there's nothing worn!
How I wish the wind was warm!
Scotland The Brave

I must admit it's pretty gruesome
Walking around with a frozen twosome!
It's all we've got we mustn't lose 'em!
Scotland The Brave

Conservatives try to assure us
Labour's hard put to endure us
The kirk puts curbs on our enjoyment
Government makes unemployment!

Never mind, the day is near
When independence will be here
We'll drink a toast in Youngers Beer
To Scotland The Brave!

GoldenGoose

You MUST get the Welsh History 101 lyrics to Captain Moone!

Meredith