News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Would you update an events list?

Started by Liraaf, September 02, 2010, 09:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you update a web site with event activities?

yes as a patron
4 (44.4%)
yes as a group member
2 (22.2%)
yes as a festival worker
1 (11.1%)
nope no way nah huh no how
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Liraaf

I am contemplating writing a mobile web site application.  It would provide the listing of performers on a smartphone (iPhone, Droid) giving the stage, time, group, and type of performance. 

For example, at 11:12am I hit the web site and it returns

Michigan Renaissance Festival 2010

-- More Previous To 10:00am --

11:00
  Tree Top (Stage)
    Circa Paleo (Music)
11:15
  Steel Cavern (Vendor 122)
    Sword Making (Demo)
11:30
  Pirate (Stage)
    Tartanic (Music)

-- More Up To 1:00 pm --

Now the question is how to get this data into it?  I am thinking two options: the festival themselves (work!  we got enough to do!), or the patrons (graffiti time baby!), or the performers/vendors themselves (how do I know this is them?) updating the site the best they can.

Opins?

KiltedPrivateer

I'm sure the smartphone crowd (of which I have not yet joined) would love this.  I'd use it if I had the capabilities.  Not that I'm against paying TRF $5, but their schedule is in a terrible format.

I wouldn't expect any help from any festival that makes money off their programs which contain schedules (eg TRF).
I'm certain you could count on patrons if it were setup wiki style, even some performers with the capabilities.  Theres always those who are bored on the long drive to faire with nothing better to do (o:

I think this is an awesome idea - Copyright it, patent it, while you can!
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

DonaCatalina

I don't even wear a watch at Faire, so I'm pretty sure this app would be useless to me, or my little clan. But by all means patent it while you can, if you can. I'm sure someone would use it.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Liraaf

I plan on making a festival management product out of it.  Music, Movie, Renaissance, etc.

Right now I have Michigan Ren Fest info in it at http://rf.amduus.com/mobile.