News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New Wench Magazine?

Started by groomporter, August 09, 2009, 07:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groomporter

I just got an Email soliciting advertising for a new publication.
http://www.wenchmagazine.com/

Looks pretty, but seems a little specialized, maybe "Wenches & Roques" would be a better focus? They said they're planning on a 100,000 copy initial run. Renaissance Magazine only claims a 30,000 circulation.

I replied to them saying "it's a little unclear what the target market is with the "wenches" theme. Are you aiming at the male market with (family friendly) pictures of beautiful Renfair participants, or more to women and finding their "inner wench".

PS what happened to the second Faire magazine that was struggling. Did it's third issue actually come out in June 2009? http://www.fairemagazine.com/
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

renfairephotog

the flip book preview is mostly ads for a book. There are some nice photos but no articles to sample the writing.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

groomporter

Got this reply:

Our target market is the entire RenFaire/Fantasy market. Men find the
pretty ladies appealing, women find the positive portrayal of women
appealing, which leads into the entire scope of the RenFaire environment:
crafts, jewelry, fashion, events, book reviews, et cetera. The title allows us to be instantly identified with the RenFaire world with a single word."

Lumpy

Quote from: groomporter on August 09, 2009, 07:15:21 PM
PS what happened to the second Faire magazine that was struggling. Did it's third issue actually come out in June 2009? http://www.fairemagazine.com/

According to the website it simply states "NOTE: NOT AVAILABLE UNTIL JULY 2009" so who knows. The companion magazine for Pyrates is still waiting on its Winter 08-09 issue with the comment of "In the mail to you in mid August 09.
Looking at that I'd say don't hold your breath for a third issue any time soon.
Founder, MDRF Friends of Faire
Dread Pirate Lumpy
Lump'n M'Crack

LadyShadow

It did look a bit interesting.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

SirBlackFox

Quote from: groomporter on August 09, 2009, 07:15:21 PM
I just got an Email soliciting advertising for a new publication.

Looks pretty, but seems a little specialized, maybe "Wenches & Roques" would be a better focus? They said they're planning on a 100,000 copy initial run. Renaissance Magazine only claims a 30,000 circulation.

I replied to them saying "it's a little unclear what the target market is with the "wenches" theme. Are you aiming at the male market with (family friendly) pictures of beautiful Renfair participants, or more to women and finding their "inner wench".

Good response. . . our growing subscribers are in the late 300s (first 500 pins still available). . .  Our third issue (Spring 09) is about to go to press and Pyrates Way #10 is on press.  Distribution (both subscriber and through international booksellers) is 22,000+ . . . down over 4,000 from last year.  Anyone who's gone into a Borders or B&N noticed that their magazine racks have dwindled from about 10 racks to six (if that many).

Both of our mags should be caught up by late November. . .  economy's hit the advertisers pretty hard which reflects on our ability to make publishing dates.  We've also halved the cost of our advertising just to help out the vendor community.  We need to all stick together and help each other out.

I absolutely hate being late but sometimes you just have to wait out the dry spot$.

The new faire magazine website (www.fairemagazine.com) with a more accurate release schedule will be online tomorrow. . .if not tonight (a few more pages to tweek).
Publisher, Faire Magazine, The Concordium, & The Pyrates Way
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

Lady Neysa

Thanks for the update BlackFox, I was wondering about the next issue.  I've also noticed the magazine situation at Borders. Have your magazines ever been sold there?  I've noticed they don't seem to sell "Renaissance Magazine" anymore.

SirBlackFox

Quote from: Lady Neysa on August 10, 2009, 09:30:43 AM
Thanks for the update BlackFox, I was wondering about the next issue.  I've also noticed the magazine situation at Borders. Have your magazines ever been sold there?  I've noticed they don't seem to sell "Renaissance Magazine" anymore.

Because both Borders and B&N are franchises, they're independently owned but serviced by the same distributor (ours) which is Ingram Periodicals.  Each owner decides which magazines they want to offer and they've all cut back a lot!
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

Sir William Marcus

Is there a centerfold???  ;)  ;D
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

renfairephotog

Thanks for the update sirblackfox.  We're getting a gift subscription  We're justing waiting for the dorm address to be finalized.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

SirBlackFox

Quote from: renfairephotog on August 11, 2009, 02:14:04 AM
Thanks for the update sirblackfox.  We're getting a gift subscription  We're justing waiting for the dorm address to be finalized.

Excellent well. . . .and the old site is coming down as I type this and the new www.fairemagazine.com is going up. .. 
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

Lord Clisto of York

Hello everyone,

I was searching about the net when I came across a site which says they are putting out a magazine this Fall, called "Wench Magazine" It can be found here at -

I am looking for anyone with more information then is on their website that can substantuate it being a real magazine and not fraud. In looking at a picture of the mag, it almost looks exactly like a Renaissance Magazine cover with same lettering etc. Their website is also not real professional for a business type. If it is a new publication and company, that's cool. But, I would like to gather more information first.

Sir Blackfox, editor from "Faire Magazine" and "Pirates Way" which has been new for three issues now has done some digging and posted this on his Mag site -

I've been getting notification from several IWG wenches and subscribers about some new outfit called "Wench Magazine." (www.wenchmagazine.com)

I have nothing to do with them but heard about these folks over a week ago and they keep changing their story. First they touted over 100,000 in distribution. . . when the fact brought up that Rennaisance has only 30,000, these new guys deleted that paragraph from their statement. Then when it was brought up that most faires are family-friendly and wouldn't sell such an adult-themed publication, all of a the words "family friendly" appeared on their site. I would be wary of them of them. . . It's in bad form to ask for product to review. . . if the creator wants a review, they'll send a press package. . .not an item. The amateur website is another "red flag."

I just saw something else on their site that makes it suspect. It's part of issuu which is like the CafePress of publishing. . . like "do it yourself" from home (takes no design or reporting talent). http://issuu.com/

Info on the "publisher":
Sam Kerillion
Kerodina Press
15732 Crabbs Branch Way
Rockville, MD 20855

sam@kerillion.com

LOL Googlesearch "Sam Kerillion, Rockville, MD"

He owns a lot of domain names, but not a lot of substance. Most of the websites have the exact same copy (including the "different" novels!).

www.fairemagazine.com is a much better choice.

Just my opinion of course. . . so please do the research and make up your own mind as to the legitimacy of the publication.

I did have to clear the air early. . . me, like my hero Barney Fife, is all about the bud-nippin'. . . "you have to nip it . . . . nip it in the bud"

So, if anyone has any more information about this, please send it to me. I would like to get the right info out to everyone.

Sir Clisto
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

groomporter

I had posted about them here
http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=8449.0
after getting an Email soliciting advertising.

One of the things that also raised an eye brow was this:
Fashion Designers/Jewelry Designers & General Merchants:  Send us a few pieces from your Collection!  We will feature your pieces in an upcoming issue of the magazine. We DO NOT return submitted pieces.

Dinobabe

Quote from: groomporter on August 20, 2009, 07:22:02 AM
Fashion Designers/Jewelry Designers & General Merchants:  Send us a few pieces from your Collection!  We will feature your pieces in an upcoming issue of the magazine. We DO NOT return submitted pieces.

That's like saying "If you're dumb enough to send it to us then you don't deserve to get it back"! ::)

Sounds like a scam through and through.
Maybe I'm wrong.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Lord Clisto of York

Quote from: groomporter on August 20, 2009, 07:22:02 AM
I had posted about them here
http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=8449.0
after getting an Email soliciting advertising.

Thanks Groomporter. I didnt see a topic was started on this thing so I did. Thanks for moving it here. It sounds very ify. Just looks exactly like a ren mag cover. Sounds like "Cash 4 Gold" all over again.. LOL!!

Lord Sir Clisto
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished