News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kindle vs paper books

Started by Rowan MacD, December 28, 2012, 09:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

Good advice!  Sounds like it's safer to buy if you know the writer, or can at least go to B&N and look over the book...If a major publisher will print it it's probably legit, though I've had a few really bad books even then.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Zardoz

I'm sure there are some good things about e-readers, but I'm sticking with paper for now.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

lys1022

Quote from: Rowen MacD on January 02, 2013, 12:59:49 PM
   Good advice!  Sounds like it's safer to buy if you know the writer, or can at least go to B&N and look over the book...If a major publisher will print it it's probably legit, though I've had a few really bad books even then.

I would agree with this, but take out the word "major".  I know of a lot of excellent small publishing houses (such as my own publisher, Yard Dog Press) that have very high standards and tend to publish people who either haven't had their 'big break' yet, or who just don't fit into the restricted areas that major publishers cover.  There are probably even some excellent self-published works out there, but that's my line of demarcation.  Unless I've read the author's works before and know they're good, I won't buy self-published works.  Even if I know their work is good it is iffy, just because a self-published author doesn't have all of the checks and balances involved in getting published through a publishing house.  The work is usually no only self-published, but self-edited too, and THAT is where the majority of problems come into play. :)

Also, I strongly suggest that if you have an e-reader that allows other formats (I've heard that the Kindle Fire is locking out any formats other than Amazon's, though as I have a Nook I'm not sure about how true this is), you check out Smashwords.com for your books.  Or you can buy directly from the publisher if they offer that option.  Amazon is HORRIBLE about the deals that they give publishers and writers.  Not as important to the large publishing houses, but for the smaller ones and for their writers, it can make a huge difference.

Just my $0.02! :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Athena

Quote from: lys1022 on January 03, 2013, 11:04:49 AM
The work is usually no only self-published, but self-edited too, and THAT is where the majority of problems come into play. :)

Tell me about it!  :o

Unfortunately you're correct about the Kindle, it has a restricted format. This is one of the things that I don't care for, although I've learned to live with it. Personally, it made sense for me to use Kindle because I've been in Amazon's ecosystem for several years, but I would encourage anyone considering purchasing an ereader to do research on the pros and cons of each device before taking the plunge. One thing I'm thrilled about is Amazon finally permitted borrowing library books on its devices last year, which is very beneficial to everyone's wallets!

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Auryn

Well I can finally chime in on this since I received a Nexus for Christmas.
The first thing I did was run to by Terry Goodkind's "Magda Searus" cause he self published in digital format only. but I only bought it because Amazon had a special for $2.99- having read the entire Sword of Truth series I couldn't pass this up- oh and the library doesnt carry it in their digital library

Before that the only other digital book I had read was the Hunger Games series cause a friend owned them and reading the digital was faster than waiting for the library copies to free up.

If you give me the choice between digital and hard paper-I will always choose hard paper.
I don't have to worry about dropping a paper book- im terrified of dropping the tablet.
I enjoy the feel for hard copy books better.
I get the positive factor during travel, and I sure it will come in handy.

Over the last year I have acquired a large number of books in digital format (for free) that I otherwise would not have had a chance to buy in hard format, so in that sense, its good.
That being said, I would never pay more than a dollar or two for a digital copy, and then I would have to REALLY have no other choice.

I would never buy school text book in digital format- I am a highlighter, note on the margin writer and like having multiple books open at the same time while doing research
so thats my $0.04 worth
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Merlin the Elder

My bride bought an iPad a couple years ago. She has the apps for all the major formats, so she isn't limited on where she gets the reading material.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

DonaCatalina

I have created a Pandora channel on mine for 'The New World Renaissance Band'. There are more people recording medieval music than I ever knew about.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Renee Buchanan

I bought an iPad for Christmas for Steve & me.  Our computer-geek son is coming home next weekend (he designs websites for a career), and he is going to load everything I will ever need on it.  Because I couldn't even find the on/off switch at first.  I am so looking forward to downloading books from our local library and not having to worry about the due dates.  Our library has a great book collection, and I will find out soon whether everything can be downloaded or just certain books.

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Once Debauched

Never in a million years did I think I would use an ereader, boy was I wrong.

The Girl Child, who just turned 8, asked for an iPad for Christmas.  I did all my homework, like a good dobee, and settled on a Nook for many reasons, including cost, but mainly because Barns & Noble doesn't have a history of shutting it's users out of their cloud and isn't as stringent regarding their terms of service. Plus the Nooks have no advertisements and the eInk screen is almost like reading a real book.

First thing I did was start looking for free ebooks and found Project Gutenberg.  I highly recommend their ebooks.  They come in several different formats, Kindle included, and the scans have been cleaned up.  There may still be the occasional issue (Æsop is a tough one for example), but they rank much higher on the readability scale than most other free ebook scans I came across. (I deleted MANY downloads due to bad, unintelligible bits of scans)

If you can think of a classic book, it's here - http://www.gutenberg.org/

If you don't have an ereader you can download Adobe Digital Editions or Calibre for free. Digital Editions is what I used to view all the downloads before side loading on zee Nook and Calibre can save to different ereader formats.

IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

Lady Renee Buchanan

Our son put the Kindle app & I also have Ibooks.  Just downloaded my first book this past weekend.  I love it!  The screen is so easy to read - no glasses needed.  I bought the regular sized Ipad instead of the mini, because I found it easier to read.  There is also an app called  something like Book Bud where they have lots of freebies.

I haven't set up with our library yet, too busy downloading free books!  What I also like about it is that I can read or go online without going downstairs to our computer room. 
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Godric

I got one two years ago, I love "real" books much better and gave the ereader to my wife who has read more books on it last year then in the 5 years prior. So I keep adding to my library of over 4k books and keep telling her that when I die she can open a used book store or just sell them for a added life insurance bonus. 

I'd suggest you keep the ereader for the games, reading when you dont want to lug books with you, or for whatever (mine plays music and can show photos also). Keep buying yourself hard copies for your own reading pleasure (and as a investment for your heirs).

Happy reading however you do it!
Godric

Mairte

I would have never thought about getting an e-reader for myself but for Christmas my oldest daughter got me an e-reader. I DO enjoy it though just a little less than regular books. The biggest incentive for me is that I was able to download many free books of different genres. The first couple I have liked though it took me a bit to get used to reading them that way.

Lady Kaalyn

I am a huge book worm.  Between my boyfriend and I we prolly have over 2000 books.  As for kindal vs actuall book I love both.  I have the nook and I also have the Kindal app downloaded onto my phone.  There are millions of free books on both formats that you can download for free legally.  I am a speed reader so I can go through a 400 page novel in less than 2 hours.  So I need a lot of books.  I love the nook for trips where I will not have a lot of service bc I can download about 40 books and be set on a trip.  I love having kindal on my phone bc I take it everywhere.  I usually download about 7-9 books for free a week.  and these are top rated books, classical and new.  there are always specials where they will be giving books for free for a week you just have to know how to look.  The only issue is your fav autor may not be one of the free ones.  When I find a serries I like ill download what I can for free then hit up half price books or a thrift store.  (this is why I have thousands of books.)  Yes kindal and nook are a bit pricier but when there is a new book comming out i can hit buy and have it right away instead of going to the store.  and it will always be online in my account.  If my phone gets destroyed I can redownload anybook back onto the phone when I get a new one.  Unlike a book where if I mess it up or loose it i have to buy a new one.
Texas Renaissance Festival
Scarborough Faire
Sherwood Forest Faire

Alaric

Ebooks are too expensive and they also make it hard to give away a book after you read it.

If I traveled a lot I would probably buy into ebooks a but more as I could carry many books on my tablet