News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

medieval and renaissance eatery and dishes

Started by Arland, August 09, 2009, 07:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arland

I've been searching online for some time now, and have come across the conclusion that either I fail at searching google, or, the websites are just hidden to well. so here's the question.

Is there a website that sells affordable and well made wooden dishes and pewter silverware?

I just started getting into renaissance festivals last year so im kind of still a newbie. thanks in advance for your time and answers, it's greatly appreciated

-Arland-

Dinobabe

Personally, I would forget online. :P  Go to your local antique shops, not the pricey ones but the strip mall or junky looking ones.  I have found everything there!  Wooden bowls, pewter tankard, silverware (miss-matched bins are the best), metal dishes/plates, serving platters, pottery, pitchers, cast iron, you name it!  And all for very reasonable to cheap prices.  My tankard is my favorite find.  Pewter with a glass bottom.  It has a small dent (more authentic, I think ;D ) but I got it for $7!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Arland

:) thanks a million, will be sure to check out the antique shops round home very much appreciated dinobabe. It never crossed my mind to check there haha... -sigh- one of my dumb moments i spose. thanks again :)

sealion

If you don't enjoy "the thrill of the hunt" in collecting pieces from yardsales and resale shops you can find things on ebay by searching "feast gear" though they tend to be a bit pricier. Also try searching "armetale" instead of pewter. If you want new items try www.HistoricEnterprises.com or  www.Jas-Townsend.com
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

bellevivre

eBay is a good resource, as is Goodwill...

Remember that it was almost unheard of to see a matching place setting!

Crockery can also be used- heavy stoneware plates are a good start.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Dinobabe

Yes, Goodwill stores are great, too!
I find a lot of my Civil War stuff at junk shops, as well.  I once found a lantern for $5 that the sutlers were selling "authentic" copies of for $50!
Sometimes I find stuff I wasn't even looking for! :D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

dragongirl

I have also found things at Home Goods, Target, and my local supermarket in the discount bins.  I got my super awsome 32oz tin cup from Wild Bills Soda at a local festival and it was a favorite at Pennsic this year.  Everyone wanted to use that cup.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Lady Renee Buchanan

I bought 4 pewter mugs with fish handles at a garage sale for $10, though I know others have gotten them cheaper at Goodwill.  I bought our wooden bowls at Goodwill for 25 cents apiece.

Another good place if your town has one is St. Vincent de Paul's.  It is a church-run thrift shop.  Also, check around with the churches of your area.  In Galena, the United Churches (12 churches joined together to help people in whatever capacity they need) got together and opened up a resale store.  Prices are great.  I found 2 sets of pearls for $2.50 a strand that I cut up and beaded my parasol and basket with. 
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Dinobabe

This is a bit off but speaking of churches...
My church had a 14" cast iron skillet that was hidden on the top of a shelf.  I bought it from the hospitality chair for the price of a new teflon one, $20!  These pans are $60.

Old Time Pottery and Garden Ridge are also great places to find things.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Arland

thanks all for the advice its greatly appreciated, hopefully i can find some time to go check out some stores round town n whatnot n get some for a descent price. never occured to me some of these places would have such things. again it is greatly appreciated and i thank you. i just gotta find time to find these places before i go to the blueberry festival. -hugs and handshakes to all who wrote and to those who still might advise more-

Aiacha

If you are looking for wood, try the housewares section of TJ Max and such.  Right now, Walmart has square wooden bowls which I like a lot (except they are a little too shallow).

When you search feast gear on ebay, you will also find "kits", where someone is selling premade place settings.  This is how I bought my first set of feast gear.

Finally, I don't know where you are located, but if you have a Garden Ridge by you, that might be an option.

Arland

well i went to goodwill while i was out with my girlfriend, found 4 wooden bowls for 59 cents a piece, a tankard for 46 cents, then i found a wooden plate at wal-mart for 1.29... maybe after i get paid i can get a couple more plates and bowls to go with it, the bowls I got look like they've been made with modern technology... its the gnomes! i know it!.

Dinobabe

Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Arland

now i just need to find a set of eating utensils haha... ive found em online a fork n spoon for 45.00... dont feel like spending that much on something im gonna use a couple times a weekend... checked ebay, all they got is a huge set for 235.00 eeks. goodwill had nothing, thrift stores i went to had nothing... any suggestions? I got a full day to find em haha. if not ill eat with plastic ware, or my hands... thats what alot of them did back then haha. greasy hands rule. oh and cast iron, check ebay... found some but not what i want, i was hoping to find a nice sized skillet and a caulron, I'm making a stand that goes over the fire to hold a cauldron for like stew and whatnot, then i plan on welding some pegs or something to some steel to hold the skillet. thought about making it out of treated wood... but wood...fire... haha... yehhhh of course if i space them out enough it should be just fine i reckon.

sealion

Pier One and World Market sell some nice looking flatware. Pricier than Goodwill but definitely less than what you say you've found online!
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin