News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

medieval and renaissance eatery and dishes

Started by Arland, August 09, 2009, 07:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arland

never heard of pier one... but then again out here in the sticks, you don't hear about much at all haha

Dinobabe

Check antique stores for a miss matched bin of silverware.
Small hardware stores usually carry cast iron and Old Time Pottery, too.  Shipping on that stuff will kill you!
You can get a cast iron fire tripod at camping stores.

Never pay more for something that you can find cheaper! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

dragongirl

I found my first set of festware eating utensils in my mother's old silverware drawer.  Check family first for mismatched sliverware, you'd be surpirsed what you find.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

midnightferret

Anything silver or silver-plated is kind of a pain because of polishing (same with brass). Luckily I have a husband who occasionally makes it his mission to get the feastware all shiny.

:) But I do recommend pewter where it can be found simply because you don't have to polish it.

Even crappy wooden bowls and platters from goodwill can be washed, sanded a bit, and then oiled (I don't suggest veggie/olive oils because they can go rancid and ew!) and look good as new! As long as they aren't cracked. Happy hunting!

dreamfarie

I found a bunch of cheap wooden trenchers with the picnic stuff at Walgreen last year.  They were selling them 4 for $5 and I stocked up on them to keep in our booth at TRF.

Chris

Because I have the time(and occasionally the $) to do this-I have started collecting hand carved stirers for use with my cast iron since metal utensils can scrath up the seasoning of the iron. also, check around among your friends to see who does woodworking as a hobby/pasttime(I have a forge, and can make simple tripods, basic cowboy cooksets and hooks for hanging dutch ovens over a fire). I've probably spent $150 for my "good" wooden utensils, but they look a darnsite better than the $1/for 3 at the grocery  store. I also have, for looks only, 4 cast iron pieces that I picked up at an 'antique' shop in Hardy,Arkansas. Made in China, but I have no intention of actually using them.