News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Weapon Policy Question

Started by Drake Starsong, May 21, 2008, 01:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Starsong

I know the basic policy on weapons, but for pirate weekend I have a nice replica of a flint lock pistol (non functional of course) I'm trying to rattle my brain thinking if I seen playtrons with whem before..but cannot...

Any ideas if these are acceptable?
Yo ho Yo ho!

Cobaltblu

I think this was asked (I think I might have asked) and was said it would never be allowed.

I thought long and hard about weapons and faires and decided I didn't want to wear or appear to wear one since this is a festival and the Queen's guard are patrolling the lanes so if I was in the renaissance period I would not have to worry about defending myself.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Lord Finger

Sterling does not allow weapons of any kind, even replicas or plastic toys. There's been no indication that this policy will change under the new owner. I don't know what security will be like at the gate, though. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Drake Starsong

Thanks for the information - I wasn't really sure..I mean..technically...I'd have a better chance at bludgeoning someone with my tankard than hurting someone with a non working flint lock pistol replica lol :P
Yo ho Yo ho!

Lord Finger

I know! The caribou antler on my staff, and various other "ornaments", could cause some trouble if I didn't look after them. The rules just don't allow anything that actually looks like a weapon.

BTW, the jousting company was selling swords last year, but I heard they couldn't let you take the sword right there. It had to be shipped. Anyone have more info on that?

Sir Douglas of Waterbury

Sterling is seriously considering allowing some weaponry with strict rules and precautions taken to insure public safety please monitor our web site for up coming details. Thank You!

Drake Starsong

Thanks for the information Douglas! So awesome to see you on the forums! :D
Yo ho Yo ho!

robert of armstrong

Welcome again Lord Douglas, and good morrow to thee.  Always happy to hear good news from the Horse's Mouth, so to speak.

Well, it seems that the weapons debates from the former forums have had some influence.  First I hear of the good news that MiRF will be allowing Peace Tied weapons, and now this carrot is also dangled.  My travels to Faires are looking at slightly sunnier skies this year.

Please, let us know as early as you can, good sir.  The Faire fast approaches and I need to know how to arrange my pack.  And should you decision lean the direction I should hope, please also be clear and firm on the rules involved in carrying steel at our beloved Warwickshire.  Should you see fit to allow us this privilege, we wish to show you the wisdom of your ways by making sure it goes off without a hitch.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Sir Douglas of Waterbury

Please contact the office at Sterling for details on the weapons policy at 315-947-5783 or e-mail thanks.

robert of armstrong

I callled this morning at 9:40.  It look like Peace-Tied Weapons are to be allowed!  Very exciting news.

Cobaltblu

Sweet!

Now I have a reason to buy a weapon.

What a good move; will surely increase attendance in the long run.

It makes sense anyway since people can walk around in public streets with knives and swords (although they may get some strange looks).

Regards,

CB

robert of armstrong

I just received this from The Management Team, and am posting it with permission:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
*Weapons...Her Majesty the Queen has decreed that there shall be no
drawing of steel on this festival day.  Therefore, if you arrive with
historic weaponry, the guard at the front gate will ask you to "peace
tie" it into your full length scabbard or return it to your carriage.

Marilyn Rheinwald
Office Manager
Sterling Renaissance Festival
15385 Farden Rd.
Sterling, NY  13156
315-947-5782

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that many of us go from thread to thread, and may have read what I have posted on other Faire's boards, but I feel compelled to put something up that will help to have the Peace Tied policy come through without a hitch.  I am very happy about the move to allowing Peace Tied Weapons, and want to make sure that we all do everything we can to make it a very positive move.  Although it is mostly meant for those whom have not had the opportunity to carry steel at a Faire or other public place before, those of us with experience with weaponry in public can always benefit from a reminder of the responsibility we will bear.

That being said, here is what I posted before.  Thank you for your patience, in the name of all that is safe and courteous:

---------
The key now is to make sure that this goes off without a hitch.  I know that I am preaching to the converted here, but every step should be taken to ensure that there are no problems.  Please, follow whatever rules are set out.  Do not, for any reason, remove the peace ties whilst on the grounds.  Even after you leave, do not draw your steel until you are at your chariot, ready to stow it away safely.  Do not feel the need, just because staff cut off the ties when leaving, think that signifies the necessity for a clashing of swords in the parking fields.

It is key that there are no negative incidents of note regarding playtrons carrying weapons.  Only in this way can we show the Sterling FenFest Management Team that they have made a good decision, and that this is a good path to follow.

Although staff will most likely be zip tying weapons, I plan to trump their efforts.  Upon my arrival at the gate, my steel (each piece of it) will already be secured into their sheaths, and also to their frogs, with an industrial zip-tie, one of the ones with an aluminum band in the middle of the plastic.  That I plan to cover with a strip of leather about ¾ of and inch wide.  I will remove the leather at the gate for inspection.  After seeing what I had done, should they feel the need to affix a second tie, all the better!  I can go about the faire knowing that there is no way an ill-timed draw of a weapon could ever be attributed to me.
---------
Each person carrying needs to be responsible for their weapon.  Before attending the Faire, if you are not familiar with weapon retention, try strapping on you steel, and get comfortable wearing it.  Get familiar with the idea that your hand is the only one that will be touching its handle.  If it is a blade on you hip, get used to resting your weak hand on it's pommel.  This happens naturally to most people, and becomes almost second nature quickly, like having your hand on you hip or in your pocket.  If you are carrying another type of weapon, put it on ahead of time and get used to the idea that it's retention is your responsibility.

But beyond that, have some forthought as to your peace tie.  Even if a tie will be affixed at the gate, that weapon is your responsibility.  Although I am sure they will do a great job of securing your weapon for you, you should not rely on others for something you should take responsibility for yourself.  I suggest that you peace tie your weapon as well, before the gate, and in a manner such that even if you were not able to stop some ignorant fool from getting hold of the grip, that there would be no way for that weapon could be pulled from it's home without a pair of nippers or wire cutters.

As well, while you are practicing wearing your steel, become aware of the space you are now taking up.  You weapon may stick out behind you a distance of 2-3 feet, depending on the application.  Be aware of this as you practice maneuvering around your house wearing you steel, trying not to know things over.  This will help you as you enter shops and booths at the Faire.  If your weapon knocks something over, be prepared to pay for it.

Carrying steel in the Shire is a privilege, and along with it comes responsibilities.  Safety and consideration for others should be paramount. If you feel, for whatever reason you cannot uphold the burdens associated with carrying your steel at a Faire, I suggest that you reconsider the thought of carrying at all.
----------

The Bunny People

I totally agree with Robert of Armstrong! 
     While my home faire, Sterling, has never allowed weapons (at least while I've attended), I've traveled to other faires where it is allowed.  I always tie my own beforehand.  It makes getting your weapons through whatever checkpoint much faster and I believe that the Queen's guards (or uniformed police) appreciate it. 
     One of the first times I carried a weapon a uniformed officer at another faire could not adequately tie it.  It had a tie wrap around it but a simple pull on the strap it was wrapped around would allow it to come free.  I've since modified the sheath with extra holes throught the leather that will allow a tie wrap to be used with no chance that it can be removed without a pair of wire cutters.
     As for the weight and size of a sword, I found it so tiring and difficult to sit, I've replaced it with a long dagger that is much more acceptable.
     And for those faires the do not allow weapons and when the sky looks threatening, I still have an umbrella that has a hilt and pommel and has been mistaken for a sword may a time.  I still show it to security beforehand and get their approval so I'm not constantly being stopped with "How did you get that in here?".
      Looking foward to seeing what weapons show up and how the new policy plays out.
Magically yours,
Maxwell the Magician of the Bunny People

DarkLord

I took my favorite and clearly piece-tied sword "Doom" to Sterling's opening day. I had no problems whatsoever.  I even stopped after going past security and asked if they wanted to check it but they declined.  So if it's clearly piece-tied there shouldn't be any problem. 
Bringer of Doom and Pestilence

Cobaltblu

I also brought a weapon...my Rondel dagger.

I was once asked at the gate if it was tied and after I said it was I never had questions problems from security.

And on Sunday a security guard asked "what is that?" and I said it was my dagger and it was securely tied but he was actually asking about my faire faire around my neck.

Thankfully security wasn't aggressively searching and inquiring about every bag people wore...which I got the impression they did last year.

I did notice that every security officer carried a handgun...so I suppose they weren't too worried about someone with a sword or dagger ;D

This is my personal preference...but I thought that having every security guard visibly carry handguns was out of place at a renaissance festival.  I realize they were (off-duty?) police officers and perhaps would not be comfortable "ensuring" security at an event where people carried swords and daggers...without themselves carrying guns...but I still wish they either didn't all have guns or that the guns could have been in some carrying case and not out in the open.

Regards,

CB