News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

TRF Playtron Camping

Started by mpullen, August 10, 2009, 06:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpullen

Updated 07/09/10 - Consolidated lists

As recently pointed out, planning in advance is well worth the effort. Think about what space you have available when packing. Don't rely on loading up the week you are heading up. Determine what supplies you will need and figure out how to pack them. This includes fuel for camp stoves, batteries for mattress inflators and lights. For the first 4 weeks, a method of ventilation (fan) is nice and for the last 4 weeks a method of heating is good. Fortunately, there are several stores nearby in Magnolia if something is forgotten.

Start planning now. Start making lists. Make a list of what you want to bring. Make a list of what you have. Make a list of what you need to buy. Start putting your hands on the things you already have. Make sure that they are clean and in good repair. Add to your list of things to buy.

Start grouping things together. You're much less likely to forget the tent stakes if they are with the tent.

Plan for the worst. That extra blanket can be rolled up for a pillow if it stays warm, but you'll really regret not having it if a cold fronts blows in and the temperature drops 50 degrees. Bring extra batteries, extra fuel for the stove/generator, an extra lighter, etc. Bring a first aid kit. I use a gallon freezer bag, and put in bandages, aspirin, antacids, 3-4 days worth of my prescription meds, etc, and throw it in the trunk of the car. It will stay there the entire season, just in case.

Playtron camping at TRF is divided into two areas.

The first area is the quiet (family) camping area just inside the entrance past the railroad tracks. There is a right angle turn into this area, so if you have a large RV or travel trailer, you may have to move down further to the other camping area and do a U-turn so that you can enter this area on a straight run. If you don't do this, you risk running into the deep ditch by the entrance road.

The quiet (family) camping area requires no generators or loud music past 10 PM. Also be aware that the iron dragon (the train) passes by several times on the weekend.

I will not be providing an aerial map of the family camping area, as even on the busiest weekends, there is plenty of camping areas available. Plus the established groups/clans don't camp here.

The main camping area (areas from rows 24 and below) is the generally rowdy camping area. .

Traditionally, the drum circle/fire circle is at row 11 close to the main road.

Okay, general information.

Generally, the campground gate opens at 4 PM on Thursday.

You will have to either have purchased Faire tickets in advance or buy them at the campground entrance in order to purchase a camping permit.

Camping is first-come first-served. There is no reserved camping.

If you don't know the campgounds layout, please look over it first (as in ask those already there). For the dry weekends, there isn't a problem. For the wet weekends, you really need to know your location. For my second year, I selected a nice sandy area on opening weekend. Seems it was a drainage path and I had a nice flowing stream through my tent. Now I let folks know about this when they start to set up camp in the drainage areas.

As far as the port-a-johns are concerned, don't park by them to block access from the road. If the contractor can't get to them, they can't suck them down.  Also don't camp close to them, they get really ripe around Sunday.

If you come in late in the evening, please don't pull up your vehicle and run the engine or blare your favorite music while you are setting up. Also, please try not to camp right at the doorstep of other camps, unless you are camping with them.

Don't leave valuables in your tent while you are away. Lock them in your vehicle and out-of-sight. Same thing for coolers.

Security can't be everywhere at once, so help out your fellow campers. If you see someone going from tent to tent, it's probably not the Tooth Fairy. Another obvious clue is if someone appears to be acting as lookout. The action you take is up to you. Just remember that a drunk armed thief can't be trusted to act sanely when confronted.

If you camp along any of the roads, try to leave some openings between encampments, so that the folks who camp in the interior areas can get their vehicles in and out.

The grass in the camping area is allowed to grow long most of the year. It gets mowed just before opening, so there is alot of long dry grass laying on the ground. Bring a grass rake and pile up the grass. This reduces the fire hazard and also the amount of grass brought into the tents.

Use a ground cloth and make sure you water-proof the bottom of your tent. The early morning dew can make the tent interior pretty wet. Spray the waterproofing on all seams, especially around the floor to wall seam and the seams around any windows.

For the cold weekends, if you use a tent heater that burns a fuel, make sure you leave a window flap partially open. Even though the tent fabric seems to breathe, the carbon monoxide stays around floor level, where people are sleeping.

This is Texas and yes we have fire ants, lots of fire ants. And now the Crazy Strawberry ants. Bring fire ant killer (preferably the kind that doesn't require water to be applied). Spread it all over your camping area and a few feet beyond. Don't leave food on the ground in your camping area.

There are bees in the area and some of them are mean drunks. If you are drinking a sweet drink, you will probably attract a few. If you are allergic, make sure you bring your medication.

For first-time campers:

You will learn how to pack efficiently. It's a fact that you will forget one or more items and probably bring something that you will never need. We all have learned from our experiences.

How you pack depends on what you are camping in and what vehicle you will be travelling in. I'm not talking about those of us who have travel trailers (we might seem to have lots of room, but we sometimes forget something). Good purchases are sealable containers that can be stacked. Don't forget to label their contents. If you are setting up after dark, it's a real pain digging through a bunch of containers to find that "I need it now" item.

Batteries. Can't say enough. That flashlight that worked so well last week will fail after 10 minutes of use and that bed inflator will run out of juice when the bed is half filled. Bring plenty of backup batteries.

Water. Bring lots. I usually freeze several bottles and put them in my coolers to help chill the food. That way, rather than have melted ice cubes sloshing around, I have cold bottles of water to cool that thirst. Yes, I've heard the rumors about freezing bottled water releases cancer causing chemicals, but recent tests show this is bogus.

Tent. When we were young and immortal, that small pup tent filled our needs. Now we need a place to change garb, hang clothes, and have a large comfortable bed. When you shop for a tent, think about how you will be moving around in it. Unless you have the cash, don't be concerned about getting a period tent like a Panther Pavilion.

Insect spray. Yes, we have bugs and yes some of them bite. Other states call them vampire bats. Here we call them mosquitos.

Sun screen. We in Texas are very close to the Sun. Probably closer than the rest of the planet during the Summer. SPF 10,000 would be nice. Plan accordingly for the first four weeks of TRF. After that, Texas spins out of orbit and the weather turns cold and wet.

Trash. This has gotten bad over the past couple of years. I've seen folks break camp and leave their trash all around their campsite. Same for trash dumped at the trash receptacles around the area. Folks, bring trash bags and leave your site clean. The $20 fee that is presently being charged is for the labor to clean up the area after you leave. If things get worse, I'm sure this fee will increase (note that this has been updated for this year's fee).

Fires. Another rant. If you have a fire burning when you break camp, make sure it is totally drowned and out before you leave. The rules are no open fires in the camping area.

Fireworks. Don't act suprised if security stops by and kicks you out of the campgrounds.

The master list:

Ace bandages
Air mattress (and inflator/batteries)
Alcohol (drinking variety)
Aloe
Antacid
Anti-bacterial ointment
Anti-bacterial hand soap
Anti-itch cream
Aspirin
Batteries
Blankets
Bottle opener
Camera and charger
Camp stove
Camp fuel/propane
Can opener
Candle holders
Cell phone and charger
Chairs
Cigarettes
Clothing
Coffee cups
Coffee pot
Coffee (creamer/sugar)
Cold medicine
Condoms
Cot
Dish cloths
Dishsoap
Earplugs
Fire extinguisher
Fireant killer
First aid kit
First aid tape (especially if you are drumming)
Flashlights (and batteries)
Food
Garb
Gauze
CD player, CD's
Citronella candles
Glasses
Glowsticks
Ground cloth
Hand fans
Hand soap/hand cleaner
Hand lotion
Hand wipes
Hydrogen peroxide
Ice
Ice chest
Insect repellant
Kerosene/lamp oil
Kitchen gear
Lanterns (and fuel)
Latex gloves
Lighters
Musical instruments
Paperware
Pillows
Plastic cups
Plasticware (forks, spoons, knives)
Popup canopies
Pump (air mattress)
Rope/string
Rubbing alcohol
Sanitary pads/tampons
Sewing kit
Shaving kit
Shower
Sleeping bag
Stove
Table
Tankard
Tarp
Tealights
Tent
Ticket/pass
Tike torches (and fuel)
Tissues
Toilet paper
Tool kit
Towel/facecloth
Trash bags
Utensils (spoon, spatula)
Wash tub
Water
Witchhazel

Breandan

I would add to this area lights of various sorts that plug into cigarette lighters for illuminating the campsite while you set up, with one caveat- doing this AFTER 2300 or so will likely get ugly words and a few blunt objects hurled in your general direction if other campers are in the area. You'd be surprised how fast people can go from sober to hammered to hung over in the campgrounds, and are a tad light sensitive. Okay, the new people will be surprised, any second year or older veteran knows this, and a few have it down to a fine science of calculating the elapsed time from sober to blotto  ;D
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

Sir Martin

dbaldock

Quote from: Sir Martin on August 10, 2009, 11:22:24 PM
* Topic stickied *

Is that what happens when you've been wearing a toupee?   :D
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Mouse

Sounds more like when a subject goes in a particularly good direction.
Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie

"MOUSE,n. "Animalistic man-child which strews it's path with fainting woman"....less so these days :)

Bonny Pearl

Thanks Mike!  I know the new folks that have asked about camp will put this to good use as well as those of us that might need a 'refresher course' lol!

This is getting me in camp mode already!  ;D  Woo Hoo!

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

julessweetie

Quote from: Bonny Pearl on July 09, 2010, 10:10:41 AM
Thanks Mike!  I know the new folks that have asked about camp will put this to good use as well as those of us that might need a 'refresher course' lol!

Don't forget the Tuaca!  ;) 

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: julessweetie on July 21, 2010, 04:37:03 PM
Quote from: Bonny Pearl on July 09, 2010, 10:10:41 AM

Don't forget the Tuaca!  ;) 

ssshhhhhhhh  ;)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

JackGonzo, MD

One thing that may be helpful for some folks who are planning to camp for the first time would be a list of known campsites/row/etc so there are no...incidents...if someone new beat an older group of folks to the campground.
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

SandrineDeLaTombe

Yes, this list is amazing for us who are camping-challenged.  I am toying with the notion of getting out there on Thursday evening of AHE, so JackGonzo's suggestion would be very helpful.
I aim to misbehave

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Fear not... Nasty Mac, Advent, and myself will be out there Thursday evening, setting up our T/T's and generaly starting the party early... we are the back corner of McLot & landgrabbers.  Look for us around row 7-8.  We'll probably be flying Scottish & Irish flags...  ;)
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Bonny Pearl

Good call Jack!

Clan McLotofus traditionally camps in rows 7-9, roadside.  Vallhalla and Brigadoon are usually behind us, as in deeper into the grounds from the road.  Drunken Gnomes & Chaos are typically in the rows closer to the gate.  MPullen and others can confirm the rows as I can't recall at the moment.  Phoenix Risen is in row 0.  I believe some clans migrated to the new camp area last year as well.

Sandrine, we need to exchange cell numbers so you can give us a call when you get to the grounds.  The campground is huge!
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

bellevivre

Chaos is at the front, row 0, Claw is usually near them, and Clan Procrastination is behind them.

useful (should be obvious) camping tip- dont leave fun stuff outside! Never had camping gear stolen, but a couple of years ago bought a fabulous walking stick, which walked off when i left it leaning against our kitchen one night...

stupid me, I know, but OH i still regret that lapse in judgement!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: bellevivre on July 24, 2010, 11:17:33 AM
useful (should be obvious) camping tip- dont leave fun stuff outside! Never had camping gear stolen, but a couple of years ago bought a fabulous walking stick, which walked off when i left it leaning against our kitchen one night...

stupid me, I know, but OH i still regret that lapse in judgement!

yep, be sure to lock things up.  there is mundane parking next to the campgrounds and with people coming and going all day you just never know....
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Rapier Half-Wit

Ah! Fantastic! Book marking this one.
If her eyes aren't sparkling, you didn't do it right...