News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Can't find my tartan!

Started by batninja, August 11, 2009, 08:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

batninja

Having a genealogist for a mother has its advantages.  She was able to trace my roots on her side all the way back to John Welch (1520-1602), Laird of Collieston, an Estate in Nithsdale, parish of Dunscove, Dunfrieshire in Scotland.

The problem is, Welch is not a Scottish name.  Its roots (as far as I can tell) are English, from Welsh or Walsh.  There is no clan or family information listed for the Scottish Welch line, and I'm undecided as to what tartan to search for.

I've read the do's and dont's concerning knowledge of the history of the tartan you wear, and I certainly don't want to be 'that guy'.

Does anyone have any pointers or information on the Welch family? 
It ain't the years, it's the mileage.

groomporter

A quick look at the map and it looks like Dunfrieshire is well south of the "Highland line" so strictly speaking, as "lowlanders" it's less likely they would have worn tartan or kilts in that area. But that doesn't mean a modern invented tartan hasn't been assigned to the family or their descendants. You could try to track whether in later years the family might have married into some clan that does have a defined tartan.

Of course the spelling of names could be fairly loose so any Welsh or Walsh from the same area might be the way to go as well. (Heck, there are like 6 documented spellings for Wm Shakespeare from his life time)
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Zardoz

A lowland family for sure, possibly an English landlord.

http://www.surnamedb.com/surname.aspx?name=Welch

Afraid I can't find a tartan for the various spellings of the name in the tartan register. Your best bet would be a 'District Tartan' which for Dumfries is Galloway, or the easier to find and more historic Caledonia.
http://www.district-tartans.com/
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

You may go for the Black Watch tartan... either modern or ancient.  both are pretty sharp but simple.
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

batninja

I think I've decided to go with the 'non-denominational' Nightstalker kilt from StillWater for now (and I even like the color).  That will at least get to the festival, and give me time in between to research a little more.  I like the idea of the district tartan and I have a friend (Thomson clan) who went with the Black Watch tartan after researching some of his family's history.

Thanks for all the great info!

::edit:: I'm also digging the Galloway Hunting (Muted) tartan over at usakilts.com!

Zardoz

Can't go wrong with USA Kilts!
IBRSC# 1619,

Khaalis

I too wear the Night Stalker to fair.  I have yet to pay the $$ for my actual tartan (MacEwan) and even if I do, I'm not 100% certain I would want to wear it to faire (the dirt, splintered wooden benches, etc.).  Most people think the kilt is some form of hunters color.
Rogue, Merc and certified RenRat

batninja

That's a good point; I never considered the cost-to-risk ratio of damaging an expensive tartan.  Definitely something to think about before ordering my next one.

On a side note, I did receive my Nightstalker tartan - I ordered it Friday morning and it was in my mailbox Monday afternoon!  I'm no expert on kilts, but this was very well-made, with a nice lining and a basting stitch to hold the pleats in place during shipping.

If only they carried the Galloway...   :)

Zardoz

Good choice on the Stillwater, it's about the best bang for your kilt buck there is. No worries messing up the USA Kilt though, That's all I wear to faire. I would not wear my wool tank there! The PV fabric from USA is quite durable,  not as prone to catching on stuff like the looser weave Stillwater is,  teflon treated for stain resistantance,  and washable! 
IBRSC# 1619,

Julianne

I've said it before and then deleted my own comments so as to not ire those who don it....but really I do have to say....Blackwatch tartan...no.

Unless you served....I have to say no.

There are several County and Celtic American tartans that you can ascribe to with all proper circumstance and worthiness.

Blackwatch is off limits unless you served.

groomporter

But I've always heard Black Watch as usually the most frequently recommended tartan for people who don't have/know what clan tartan they should wear?!?  ???

Do you have some info that it's not kosher?

RSLeask

Quote from: groomporter on August 25, 2009, 06:16:31 PM
But I've always heard Black Watch as usually the most frequently recommended tartan for people who don't have/know what clan tartan they should wear?!?  ???

Do you have some info that it's not kosher?

You may have heard, but to any of the Armed Forces across the world, it's the same standard.  Rough analogy, it would be like a civilian wearing a set of Class As with a full ribbon rack and medals, rank, and finishing it off with a green beret.  You just don't do it.

Exception for the A Team... because that was a badass show.
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

Julianne

Talk to any Scottish regiment of Her Majesty's Service and they will indeed "educate"
you.

My dear Groomsporter, Blackwatch is off limits.  If an American dons it it shows not only an ignorance of gaelic pride but a disrespect of those celts who died in service for country.

Just saying.

groomporter

Is the normal recommendation just an Amurrican convention then?

RSLeask

Quote from: groomporter on August 25, 2009, 06:33:30 PM
Is the normal recommendation just an Amurrican convention then?

Pretty much.  In such a society of diverse cultures, there is such an ignorance and lack of respect to the customs and cultures of the world. 

Hell, we barely respect our own, as it is.
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?