News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A fantastic faire visit! (Pittsburgh)

Started by Blushing, August 11, 2009, 01:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blushing

A friend and I will be venturing from Colorado (rather complicated when traveling by dragon, I assure you!) to visit your fair shire Sept. 18-21.

Anything that should not be missed?  Things to see before/after faire?  We will have some time Monday before heading back, it looks like.

Anything to keep in mind about the weather?

I'm assuming the Pittsburgh airport is best to fly into, but is there a preferred/easier alternative?

I'm looking forward to this faire adventure, as is my hamster, Corf.   ;D

Thanks and cheers!
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

metalcelt

The weather here is probably a little warmer than where you are in Colorado. Check weather.com when you are packing. That should give you a good idea of what to expect.

We are looking forward to meeting you :)

Greater Pittsburgh is the airport I would suggest flying into. We have another airport but I don't think it takes much in the way of major carriers.

Countess Westmorland

YEA!
Blushing, I see you all of the time on the Colorado forum. Yeah, I lurk there.  Please find me and say HI!  I'm Queen Margaret, blue gown, shiny thing on head.  Usually complaining to my brother, the King. I want to meet your hamster also.
Jan
A little song, a little dance, a little rum down your pants!

Blushing

Thanks!

Hmmm ... looks more humid too.  I've forgotten about humidity!  I'll have to decide closer to the weekend about bringing my cloak ... it's a pain since it's big.

Well, lurking Queen Margaret, I will certainly seek you out.  I hope you're enjoying the Colorado forum!

I'll most likely be coming as a wench, wearing my flowered hat with R/F pin, but I also have incentive to finish my pirate garb.

... and of course I'll be taking photos that weekend!  =)

squiregaby

and here's another shameless plug :P

Don't forget to go see Sir William and his boys!! :D  The newest knight shall begin jousting the week before that....so be sure to tease Bavaria for me! :D
Squire Gaby
Squire to the Knights of the most Noble Cause

Mistress Charlotte

Yes.... do NOT forget about the humidity...!!  Bring baby powder! And forget about your hair... it will be a fuzzball just like mine!!!
Cause, "Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question.
Anyone could answer that.
"Cake or death?"
"Eh, cake please."

Blushing

That's why I love hats ... great for traveling, and great to hide weather-related issues.  ;D

Scarlett

You must visit the pub to meet most of the playtrons.  We tend to end up there.

And as suggested earlier, DO check weather.com for the latest forecast.  We do have humidity, but not every weekend.  Maybe you'll be lucky!
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

anne of oaktower

Hamsters!  Huzzah!!!

Corf can find me walking the decks of the Morgan's Bounty...across the glen from the Pirate's Pub.  Oh, and you should come, too  ;)
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Professor M

Quote from: Scarlett on August 12, 2009, 06:55:57 AM
You must visit the pub to meet most of the playtrons.  We tend to end up there.

They tend to start out there, too!  :)

Blushing, it will be great to meet you.  Do be sure to say "Hello."
Are you staying near the airport, near the faire, or somewhere else?  I can suggest plenty of sights worth seeing in Western PA.  It mostly depends on your interests and your convenience.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

Demetrius

Quote from: anne of oaktower on August 12, 2009, 09:44:24 AM
Hamsters!  Huzzah!!!

Corf can find me walking the decks of the Morgan's Bounty...across the glen from the Pirate's Pub.  Oh, and you should come, too  ;)

I hear there will be a new "Hamsters Through the Ages" booth where you can learn of your hamster's ancestry...

Hey Mistress Charlotte! Have a great time! Say hi to my Aunt Judith- who might get to stop by. You will recognize her easily since she always wears a big hat.
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

Blushing

Professor M ... I will certainly seek you out!

I'm not sure where we are staying yet, but I do know we have almost all of Monday for SOMETHING before we have to be back at the airport for the return flight.  I've never been in that corner of the country (closest is the Newark airport and that really doesn't count).

So any suggestions will be listened to!  I'd like to see at least soemthing besides the faire ... as wonderulf as the faire is I'm sure!

Professor M

Quote from: Blushing on August 15, 2009, 12:14:38 AM

I'm not sure where we are staying yet, but I do know we have almost all of Monday for SOMETHING before we have to be back at the airport for the return flight.  I've never been in that corner of the country (closest is the Newark airport and that really doesn't count).

So any suggestions will be listened to!  I'd like to see at least soemthing besides the faire ... as wonderulf as the faire is I'm sure!

All right then, here goes:

If I had to recommend only one thing, it would be the Heinz History Center.  It is right in downtown Pittsburgh, near the convention center.  You'll love the drive in, get to see some of the city, and have fun learning about the history of the area.  There are also plenty of nice restaurants nearby.
http://www.heinzhistorycenter.org

If you want to see something unusual, and enjoy birds, try the National Aviary.  It is a walk-through zoo specializing in birds, the only free-standing aviary in the country.  I worked there for many years, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
http://www.aviary.org

You can also take a cruise down Pittsburgh's rivers.  The Gateway Clipper Fleet operates several cruises, including a few that point out Pittsburgh landmarks.  http://www.gatewayclipper.com

There are a zillion other things I could recommend, too, so I'll just point you to a great website that is run by the Convention and Visitor's Bureau.  http://www.visitpittsburgh.com

Once again, I'm looking forward to meeting you.
- M -
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

I would love to visit my hometown's faire... it's been almost 20 years since i was home.  :(
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

kcdcchef

trying to decide what weekend to go this season, i am thinking perhaps second weekend, and hope that it will not be like 200 degrees outside!! i am digging the faire going into october though, weather so much more faire appropriate in late sept and october. should be a great year!