News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

glmf news

Started by mumsies, August 12, 2009, 09:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Morgan

Wow...this is just like "Footloose" only with better music and garb!  ;)
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

Countess Westmorland

I really think that the Trustees were not expecting a room full of educated, well spoken people.  There were times I really wanted to laugh when they were asked about the wording of the ordinance and Tamburino kept saying that we would have to ask the Prosecutor.  I didn't know the Prosecutor wrote it!  They were on the defensive, really talked in the typical politico circles and, at times, contradicted themselves.  
I hope, in November, that they are held responsible for any loss of income to the Township and the past loss of revenue due to those frivilous lawsuits that the courts
kept throwing out.  Two of them are up for reelection in November, including Mr. Tamburino.

But I am truly upset that I missed riding the Tilt a Whirl but it is my understanding it is only for the invisible platypus.  Ask Chris at St. Sadie's Soap when you are there this weekend!

Jan
A little song, a little dance, a little rum down your pants!

Capt. Morgan

Well...if the vibration from the horse hooves during the joust shatter windows, I'm surprised that the parking lot isn't littered with glass from all the cars.... :D

Terry Griffith

The song "Long Live Avaloch" is now up on YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/user/TerryGriffith1

Here's the lyrics:

Long Live Avaloch
By Terry Griffith

While traveling through Ohio one morning last July
I was looking for diversion to help the time pass by.
Along the road I saw a sign for the Medieval Faire.
It sounded so appealing that I took the family there.

There was jousting and music and smiles on every face.
Games for all the kiddies and merriment filled the place.
The food, the beer, the revelry made us all feel fine.
I felt like we had traveled back to another place in time.

Long live Avaloch and the family I found there.
Long live the Great Lakes Medieval Faire.

When the day was over it was time to go away.
We had to spend the night there to come back another day.
The money spent was worth the cost and any one could see
The faire was just a benefit to the whole community.

Now nearby Trumbull Township was ruled by politics.
The greedy and the jealous were starting to have fits.
They couldn't get their hands on the money being made
So they passed a legislation that would cause the faire to fade.

"We don't know who these folks are" they cried with feigned concern.
"We must protect our citizens in case they might get burned.
The price of all the lawsuits is worth the cost to bear
There's money to made here and we must have our share".

The years of frivolous lawsuits have cost the Township much.
The mounting bills for lawyers and court costs and such.
It's time for all the people who put these men in charge
To see their taxes wasted on egos that are large.

Behind closed doors they gathered to plan their evil plot.
They thought no one would notice but there's one thing they forgot.
When citizens have had enough of bullying by the trolls
They only have to stand up by voting at the polls.

So they had a meeting to discuss the future of the faire
People came from miles around and the media was there.
They watched as Tamberrino hid behind his wool.
Now we know in Trumbull wherein resides the bull.

"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

mumsies

A new one to add to our favorite "Terry" songs! Hope to hear it in person soon!

chriscat53

I can't imagine moving the Faire. It's so beautiful and what about all the gardens? How would they start over with those?  I'm embarrassed that this guy's Italian. Being an old 60's person, last resort, a fully garbed sit in and call CNN. Led by the pirates and the knights of course and any ogres that might want to sign on.

No seriously, affordable family entertainment that also has a bit of history. Have they no clue at all?

trevor ylisaari

Quote from: chriscat53 on August 16, 2009, 03:31:15 PM
I can't imagine moving the Faire. It's so beautiful and what about all the gardens? How would they start over with those? 

Yeah, it sounds good in theory to just move it somewhere that wants it.
But realistically there has been a ton of blood, sweat, tears, and money sunk into the current grounds.
And what would happen to all the vendors buildings?

And here is a link to the current Cleveland News video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TxXBTvos94

and for those who may have missed it, here is the one from the night of the meeting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gopmbd1Sbc

Terry Griffith

A better version of the song "Long Live Avaloch" has been published to YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YSfPamQn8o

If you have viewed the first one, please visit this one so we won't lose the hits.  If you left a comment on the old one, please put it on the new version.  If you haven't viewed it yet, please check it out.  The more hits it receives, the greater the impact when the Trustees see it is being spread around.  Please feel free to leave a comment.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Capt. Morgan

In today's Plain Dealer:

In today's Plain Dealer::

Fie on the foes of the Great Lakes Medieval Faire -- an editorial
by The editors
Thursday August 20, 2009, 4:19 AM

A pox on politicians who make sport of the Great Lakes Medieval Faire.

Wherefore art they so knuckle-headed?

The Trumbull Township trustees have spent 13 years wasting taxpayer money and losing court cases in an effort to bludgeon the Medieval Faire into oblivion.

The six-weekend-long event -- which just concluded its 17th year of jousters, jesters and jugglers -- is a moneymaker. The director of the Ashtabula County Convention and Visitors Bureau describes it as a key portion of the county's $346 million annual tourism take.

Trustees Chairman Ron Tamburrino cites health and safety concerns, but Lt. Greg Leonhard says the Sheriff's Department gets more complaints about the county fair.

Embattled owner Larry Rickard hosts the Medieval Faire on his property -- nearly 180 acres transformed into the 13th-century Village of Avaloch. But the cost of fighting frivolous court actions has topped $1 million and is taking a toll on the faire's future.

It is the largest employer in the township and one of the largest in the county, hiring more than 500 people.

Hundreds of supporters showed up at a recent meeting to protest the three township trustees' logic-defying -- and costly -- feud with the faire. Just in the past year, Tamburrino told residents the township had spent about $60,000 on litigation.

The trustees would better serve their constituents by filling potholes rather than enriching lawyers -- especially now that Rickard has run afoul of a higher power: The state attorney general has accused him of misappropriating funds meant for charities. If something's rotten in Avaloch, the faire will be on shaky ground.

Professor M

Quote from: Capt. Morgan on August 20, 2009, 09:35:51 AM

In today's Plain Dealer::

-- especially now that Rickard has run afoul of a higher power: The state attorney general has accused him of misappropriating funds meant for charities.

You know, I misread this to say that Tamburino is being investigated, not Larry.  I apologize for misunderstanding so much.  From what I understood, it is Tamburino who did a money grab on the fire department money that Larry donated.  I wonder if the state attorney general is looking into that as well.  I have no doubt Larry will be absolved of all charges.

For that matter, if all of the charities are satisfied that they've received their money, then who started the investigation?  My guess: Tamburino.  I hope it comes back to bite him.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

Capt. Morgan

All the charities contacted said they received the monies. Another trustee misdirect to take the shining light off of their questionable doings and legal harassment. Honestly, if they admitted to spending 60 thousand dollar just THIS year alone against Larry...multiply that by how long this feud has been running...over 13 years. They are the ones that have to supply the answers now, certainly NOT Larry.

Professor M

Morgan, you are quite right.  I misread and misinterpreted the last statement.  I've gone back and re-edited it to read more appropriately.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis