News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

i wanna turn my girlfriend into a rennie...

Started by TKM, May 21, 2008, 06:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKM

as a 4-year loyal fairegoer, the weeks between labor day and columbus day have always been some of the most joyous of the year, for it's on those weekends that the kansas city renaissance festival, just a 10 minute drive from my house, opens its gates. i think it would be so wonderful if the love of my life, whose name is Abby, would share the joy with me... but she's never been to a faire in her life. she's agreed to go with me at least one weekend this year, but how do i make sure she'll want to keep coming back? i dont even know how she'll react to seeing me in garb... whether she'll think it's cool or completely dorky. i just have no clue... i can't really remember what made me fall in love with the faire, nor do i know if the same thing would captivate her, either.

anne of oaktower

Do you have friends at KCRF?  Know anyone here from the forums?  My suggestion would be to gather a few of our loyal R/F members to give her a warm greeting and make her feel at home.  How could she not love faire?  There's something there for everyone....shopping, shows, music, pubs, merriment!  Do you subscribe to Renaissance Magazine?  If you have a couple of issues, or can get to a larger book store that carries the magazine, it might help to let her browse through it.  Show her all the cool pics and let her ask whatever questions she may have.  Look up some Renfaire sites online, so she can see the lists of entertainment and merchants.  After she's seen pics of others in garb, ask her if she'd like to see yours and if she'd like to dress up, too. 

I had the same concerns a few years ago when it was time to take my fiance to his first renfaire.  Turns out there was nothing to worry about.  Not only does he love faire almost as much as I do, willing garb up, and pay for my subscription Ren Mag., but it also got him interested in researching his family history and tracing his Scottish roots.  He's planning on buying his first kilt soon, and we've even talked about working at faire in the future.

Don't worry.  She'll love it!
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

TKM

haha. Abby's already tremendously proud of her irish heritage (as am i) so i figured that was a plus. but ok, good idea, ll show her pictures and introduce her to some of my friends at the faire. i really hope she wants to dress up, too. i love doing garb for other people.

theChuck

have you asked her flat out if she wants to go in garb? when i first mentioned to my girlfriend the idea of us going in garb, she was like YEAH THATLL BE AWESOME, and we bought starter garb together online, and it turned out really well.
The Renlist - find faires near you!

Just Randall

And some people just don't get it, it's not their thing. I've got an ex who NEVER understood the whole RenFaire thing, even though I was on cast, and the only reason she wore garb was so she could keep an eye on me ( I was recovering from some serious injuries at the time ).
Mediocrity is the refuge of the unimaginative...

robert of armstrong

I would warm her up with a few period movie nights leading up to the introduction to the Faire.  There are so many, and they might get her creative juices flowing.  I'm sure she knows you are going in character, but has she thought of how she might want to represent herself?  The movies could serve to be a jumping off point to think of a character or persona she might want to assume, be it a peasent, nobility, warrior, etc.  Then she could start to think of the look she would like, and the garb that represents the look.  Online shopping helps with suggestions for garbing as well, if she isn't into making her own costume.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Drake Starsong

Everyones different and many love the ren faire for different reasons. Most of my friends are into history and going to the faires in garb. Some just don't get it.

My ex fiance was very reserved about it at first but after going she spent $400 on an outfit at SRF and jumped in it right away!

If she has any interest in history I think she will enjoy it - and as said above - try watching some movies..and they don't all have to be period -I let a few people borrow my Robin of Sherwood box sets and that was enough to suck them in!

Try showing her garb online (while complimenting how amazing she would look in outfits you like  ;D) Maybe it will peak her interest!
Yo ho Yo ho!

Scotsman

Hmmm, what did I do with that magic wand ....
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

skrid the brown

My wife and I went as mundanes for her first time.  I had her try on some of the garb at the faire....what woman doesnt like to try on clothes.  Needless to say I was about $800 short in my pocket book a few hours later.  Now we cant wait to go.  Our only problem is getting inot BFA.  Not real good at it.

TKM

haha! i just got off the phone with her today. i was actually surprised by her response.

Me: So hey, what would you think about going to the renfest this year?
Abby: Only if I can dress up. If I can't go dressed up, I won't go.
Me: *startled*

so, that was easier than i thought ^_^'

though she did recently suffer a concussion and is on a lot of drugs... so hopefuly that didn't cloud her judgement. lol

Captain Kilian

Congrats dude! Easier then you could hope for!
"I'd like to thank all the little people...that just never saw it coming." - Me
Royal Order of the Landshark, Guppy 14

DT_Masters

A suggestion or two of what to do the first time so not to dash the chances that she will want to return another day.

First, watch the feet. Make sure she is wearing comfortable footwear and that she doesn't walk too much. After 9-12 hours at one, my feet are killing me ..... but I am dedicated. I dare say if on the first day, her feet are killing her, she may not want to come back.

Secondly, on the first day, be ready to cash in the chips if she says she wants to leave early. Let the first day be the appitizer to encourage her to return again in the future. It takes a lot to get to the point where you thirst to be there before opening gun, fight thru the hottet part of the day, and celibrate the day's end festivities with vigor.

Work her into it slowly.

A few other things. Find a way to sell the industry to her. Example: I took my nephew shooting at a range once. We didn't keep the target because I as a shooter for decades was past that. Bad move. It's a new thing to him, the target is a trophy, something he can show his friends what he's done. In the entertainment/recreation industry, one has to sell what it has to the newbie.

Secondly, use the surroundings for all its worth. Second example: a relator takes the short cut in to show the house to the couple. Takes the short cut out. He's failing big time at that point. Why? Because the neighborhood is part of what sells the house. The prospective buyers are impressed (or not) by their new neighbors. Point here: for the things you show her, don't take short cuts. Let her see all of the fun of the place, use that to sell her, too.

anne of oaktower

Very good suggestion, DT.  Those are some things that we should all be aware of in our enthusiasm to make new converts.  I had not thought of the shortcut scenario...never considered that I might actually be defeating my purpose due to my excitement to get my friends to "the best parts" as quickly as possible.  I'll be more careful of that in the future.
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Capt Spleen

In RenTroSpect, I'd say that Merlin AND Merlin the Elder have been casting spells in the past for over 1000 years now!
Or were those spells cast into the future......
See how that works?

Lady Mac

All these responses I read through and not once did I see the word "romantic" mentioned.
You need some flowers, music, some or alot of mead, smooch under every tree there, not
caring what anyone thinks, but don't get your butts thrown out. Hand-in hand, arm in arm,
watch her eyes, when they light up, follow her like a puppy to any show or shop she wants
to go to. Simple, new rennie family member. Enjoy.
Lady Mac's Horns, Canes @ Staffs
Every Lord needs a good stick...
Every Lady too.

Lady Renee Buchanan

What are her interests?  If she loves to shop, don't rush her through the stores so you both can get to the mud show!  If she likes music, take her to a few of the best musical acts, maybe even the end of day pub sing.

If she loves animals, take her to the joust, the birds of prey show, an elephant or camel ride?

Try to show her things at faire that encompass things she likes in real life, so she will feel more comfortable with it.  Shopping is shopping, it doesn't matter the venue, if she loves to shop, put up with it like a man!   lol (my husband HATES to shop!)    ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Merlin the Elder

Lady Mac has the best idea... If you can arrange for your girlfriend to become the center of attention with some romantic gestures, you'll hook her for sure. Slip some dashing lad a nice tip and have him fawn over her, kiss her hand and such, resistance will be futile...just keep the Borg at bay.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Delireus

Yay KCRF! I brought my newbie boyfriend there 2 years ago and he loved it! It's my new home faire, since I go to school in Kansas now (TRF will always hold a special place in my heart though). I had the exact same apprehensions as you do about taking him to faire for the first time, would he like it, would he think it's silly... it was something terribly important to me and if he didn't like it, I would be crushed.

But, luckily, he loved it and we just got him his first set of garb a few months ago! We even traveled to the Oklahoma renfaire as a 'end of the semester' party for us. Since he had never been, it was all so new and magical to him. I'd say find out what she really likes, is it the music the groups play there, or some goods the vendors sell, or clothing? I agree about being ready to leave half way through the day if she gets tired though, I know I may have ruined faire for some friends because I wouldn't leave till it ended.

Another good idea is to check out the mini faire KC does. Its a little 3 hour thing the cast members do to get them use to an audience. It was about 2 weeks before faire opened, on a Saturday I think. You have to RSVP, don't go in garb. You go to the site and spread out a bit and all of the cast comes and has small conversations with you. You give them feedback, and it's a great way for you to get a sneak peak and for the cast to get some practice. Look for announcements on their facebook page closer to opening. It's also a good way to introduce her to faire :) see you in the lanes!
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

Lady Gryphon

From someone who's first Faire was TRF.  I will second the suggestion of "don't wear her out the first day"  Find some shade, and slip a Pedialyte packet into YOUR pouch, just in case.  It mixes well into a bottle of water if you find she may need it.  (I know, but Heat hit fast at faire) {Baby section at Wal-mart}

I also agree with the Good Shoes, and better yet, start walking together at night.  Builds up the stamina.   But men need to learn to stroll too.  I'm lucky Lord Dragon likes to shop for me as much as I do.  LOL

I love the fact of making her the center of attention.  That got me hooked very fast.  Encourage her to flirt and tease with cast before opening gun.  (You know who she's going home with.) It will make her feel part of the crowd. 

Research with her the time period of the Faire and the Presiding Monarch, If it's Henry VIII make sure you know which wife, and some of the court gossip of the time. 

Also make sure she know she doesn't have to wear NOBLE, if she doesn't want the first time.  I try for upper middleclass/shop keeper for comfort. and  then there is always fantasy/pirate.

And the final hook Lord Dragon did was he bought me a Circlet. What woman can resist a crown.  LOL

Have fun and relax, she'll love it.
Why do I feel like I've worn something like this before?

insidiousraven

Definitely buy her a rose from the flower seller. Just wander around and let her pick where she wants to go. Don't rush, have fun, and keep her hydrated!

Captain Dungcaster

Wow, You all have some great suggestions. I find myself in a smewhat similar boat. My wife of ten years has attended the VA. Faire with me several times and has garbed up. One thing that was very cool was the cast of VARF are very focused on the patrons. They pulled her into a bit and she loved it! I have been taking a modest approach with her and have only made suggestions about attending other faires etc... MDFR, CRF. Any other suggestions you Ladies may have are helpful.

Frank Blanton
"Fantasy Football, Dungeons & Dragons for Jocks"
I.B.R.S.C #1068.