News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

WOODSTOCK

Started by Welsh Wench, August 14, 2009, 03:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard de Graeme

John Wayne,"I was never a Marine, but I played one in the movies."

The Dadburned hippies were right!
"For it is the doom of man that they forget."
NE OUBLIE!
Purveyor of dubious wisdom
Player of spoons
Herbalist

Welsh Wench

Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lady Amy of York

My  sister  and her husband   went  to Woodstock  this  past Saturday   for  the  40th   aanniversary concert. 
They said  the  concert  was  awesome.     They had  some of  the  original bands  there that played at the  first Woodstock.  My  sister  said  some of  the bands  did not have  all  of  their  original members  anymore, but  they all  sounded  great.

She  said  the  grounds  were immaculate.   They had nice  buildings  set up   with a museum,  shops,  restaurant  and  bathrooms.    Security  was good.     No  alcohol  or  food  were allowed  to   be  brought into  the  concert.  Big  diiference   from 40 years  ago, but still great music  !
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Welsh Wench

I'm sure the music was fantastic but I don't think they could ever duplicate the ambience of the original festival.

Immaculate grounds...BATHROOMS???  ;D

Lady Amy of York

Quote from: Welsh Wench on August 18, 2009, 02:11:47 PM
I'm sure the music was fantastic but I don't think they could ever duplicate the ambience of the original festival.

Immaculate grounds...BATHROOMS???  ;D

I know, my sister said  the  same  thing.The  music  was  good, but the  ambience  was  different.  And  she  too said  the  Bathrooms,  clean  grounds  were nice  but   not  the  same. !   Her husband  said    the  whole  area  around   there, and  town, had  been  really build  up  to be   a  tourist area,  with museums  and  shops. Sigh,  anything  to bring in tourists  and  make  money. Some  things  are best  left  alone  as  they are.

I was  too little  to go  to  the original Woostock,  just  a baby, but i    have heard  stories that my older sisters  told,  about begging  my parents   to let  them  go,  and  my  parents  telling  my  sisters "  Over  our  dead  bodies  !" LOL ! How  times  have  changed.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Lady Renee Buchanan

There was a really good show on the History Channel last night for 2 hours, "Woodstock, Now and Then."

I quickly and minimally searched the channel's schedule and didn't find it.  Maybe somebody else could look and post it here.  I didn't get to see all of it, but what I did, I enjoyed, and wouldn't mind seeing it in its entirety.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

irish

I remember coming home and asking my Mom if I could borrow the money to go and she said...."You nuts?? No way!" I guess being a teen didn't help.  :-\
Oh well........now I can drive there some 40 years later!  ;D

If Woodstock were to happen in this day and age, things would be not as peaceful. It took the right time, the right people and the right music to make it all come together.
I did get to see Jimi Hendrix in person though. He was the opening act for the Monkees.  ::) He walked off stage as the echo of......."We want the Monkees"...was all that could be heard!  :o

irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Welsh Wench

Quote from: irish on August 18, 2009, 06:41:43 PM
If Woodstock were to happen in this day and age, things would be not as peaceful. It took the right time, the right people and the right music to make it all come together.

Oddly enough, it was the same thing my mother said. She said it was could never happen the way it was back then.
A gentler time.

Oh....and it cost 100,000.00 to clean up afterwards.

Taffy Saltwater

I was in my early teens - way too young to go bopping off to NY for a concert.  I had a kite w/the guitar/dove icon that my dad hated on principal.  Also a floppy leather hat that I practically lived in.  Dadburned (wannabe) hippies.
Sveethot!

Richard de Graeme

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on August 18, 2009, 05:42:52 PM
There was a really good show on the History Channel last night for 2 hours, "Woodstock, Now and Then."

I quickly and minimally searched the channel's schedule and didn't find it.  Maybe somebody else could look and post it here.  I didn't get to see all of it, but what I did, I enjoyed, and wouldn't mind seeing it in its entirety.

I watched it! Very illuminatiing. The woman and man covered by the pink blanket on the album cover, were on the show and are still together.

I was 17 at the time and did not go to Woodstock. The following Summer I hitch hiked from Louisville to Florida to New Orleans and back to Louisville. Two weeks later I hitch hiked to Toronto and then to Byron, Ga (outside of Atlanta). The Atlanta Pop Festival was supposed to be held again, but Lester Maddox got a restraining order and shut it down. Then hitch hiked back to Louisville. All in all a very enlightening experience. Met many good people of every age and persuasion (met some weed kickers too). I still hold that Spirit and will never lose it! Unity, Rememberance and Peace.
NE OUBLIE!
Player of spoons
Herbalist

Lady Nicolette

Posted this above (in "what are you listening to?"), it somehow always seems connected to Woodstock in my mind, as it sort of pulls so many things together of the era:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIccZsURyLc&feature=fvw
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Richard de Graeme

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on August 19, 2009, 07:07:56 PM
Posted this above (in "what are you listening to?"), it somehow always seems connected to Woodstock in my mind, as it sort of pulls so many things together of the era:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIccZsURyLc&feature=fvw

I remember the album well. CS&N also covered this Airplane song. Thanks for the memory, Lady Nicolette. 8)
NE OUBLIE!
Player of spoons
Herbalist

Matty Pine Brownie

Too young to have gone to the Country, but I identify strongest with the music of that era.

I did catch Michael Wadleigh's film recently (had seen it years ago) and didn't realize that the Airplane's "morning maniac" rant was because they were closing a "night" out at 8 in the morning.

Amazing.

Rogues and Pollywogs! Where is the Brownie?

Welsh Wench

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, WOODSTOCK!!!!!

Let's hope we remember the lessons we learned from that time.

Peace.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Those were the days, my friend.

And I truly wish the spirit of the time never ended.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich