News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Taking an infant to faire?

Started by Harbinger, August 15, 2009, 10:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

We liked the Jeep strollers BUT they can't be used with an infant less than 6 months old.  Granted Fuzzlet's first time to faire is most likely going to be Scarby next year, and she will be 5-6 months old, but we would like to use it in the mean time.
This seems like we are meeting in the middle. It's getting good reviews at toys r us, AND amazon.  I just wanted to run it by the other rennies for thier thoughts. 
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

LadyFae

That looks like a great one!  Great find!  =D  Did you get to see it in person and try it out yet?  Fold, unfold, lift it, try out all of the doodads and contraptions on the stroller and both the carrier and base!  =D
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

maeven

Since my husband and I are still in planning stages we have been looking at strollers and stuff here and there, I was wondering where can I find a good baby sling? (is that what it's called?)
*Short enough to not reach the pedals, tall enough for the rides at Six Flags!*

I'm splendid. That is all.

AHE 2013 RenNado Survivor

LadyFae

Well, what type of sling are you thinking of?  I made a Moby for myself- two actually, for under $8.  I love it so much though that I would totally buy one for regular price ($40 or so) and still get my money's worth!  I still wear my youngest from time to time and she is almost 20 months.  There are LOTS of options for slings and carriers- I went with the Moby Wrap (or Sleepy Wrap) style because I loved the versatility of it and because I'm cheap and didn't want to have to buy more than one!  There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube for the use of and the construction of various types of slings and wraps.  With mine I bought 5 yards of a not too stretchy material that I liked the pattern on- it didn't shred when cut so I didn't have to use a sewing machine, I just cut the fabric in half and had two slings.  (Though I would recommend buying about 6 yards and tapering the ends- you can find the dimentions on Moby Wrap dot com.) 
I had a structured carrier for my second daughter and hated it.  She had to be so big in order to even fit in it then I couldn't wear her all day without being sore and I gave up on it way sooner than I wanted to.  (Not all are as bad as the one I had, though.)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

maeven

Quote from: LadyFae on May 14, 2011, 06:13:29 PM
Well, what type of sling are you thinking of?  I made a Moby for myself- two actually, for under $8.  I love it so much though that I would totally buy one for regular price ($40 or so) and still get my money's worth!  I still wear my youngest from time to time and she is almost 20 months.  There are LOTS of options for slings and carriers- I went with the Moby Wrap (or Sleepy Wrap) style because I loved the versatility of it and because I'm cheap and didn't want to have to buy more than one!  There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube for the use of and the construction of various types of slings and wraps.  With mine I bought 5 yards of a not too stretchy material that I liked the pattern on- it didn't shred when cut so I didn't have to use a sewing machine, I just cut the fabric in half and had two slings.  (Though I would recommend buying about 6 yards and tapering the ends- you can find the dimentions on Moby Wrap dot com.) 
I had a structured carrier for my second daughter and hated it.  She had to be so big in order to even fit in it then I couldn't wear her all day without being sore and I gave up on it way sooner than I wanted to.  (Not all are as bad as the one I had, though.)

I've seen Moby's and I do like the support of it, but I was looking for something thinner to wear with my garb (I've noticed that Moby's have sleeve-type thingies on their slings). The prices for a Moby aren't bad considering that I've seen some slings that are around 60 bucks. I'll have to take a look at the tutorials online-I'm not much of a seamstress (I can't draw a straight line to save my life! lol... ) but it would still be something to check out and try!
*Short enough to not reach the pedals, tall enough for the rides at Six Flags!*

I'm splendid. That is all.

AHE 2013 RenNado Survivor

LadyFae

That was the nice thing about making my own was that I could pick my own fabric- so you can find something that coordinates with your garb.  I made mine wider so that I could double it for extra warmth if need be.  I know some people who make some out of football jersey fabric for "breathablity," and others from t-shirt jersey knits.  Don't worry about being super straight with your lines, just fold your material in half and cut along the crease, close enough!  =)  The way it gets wrapped and folded anyway you don't need it to be perfect.  =)
Amanda  =D

LadyStitch

Quote from: LadyFae on May 13, 2011, 06:01:02 PM
That looks like a great one!  Great find!  =D  Did you get to see it in person and try it out yet?  Fold, unfold, lift it, try out all of the doodads and contraptions on the stroller and both the carrier and base!  =D
We did a test run on Saturday at the local Toys R us.  That thing glided one handed.  Easy seat in and out, the closing was a little ackward, but nothing deal breaking.  Considering that it is a jogger stroller we expected a little ackwardness.
We registered for one of the baby slings, and I got the moby wrap, just in case.  You never know what the kiddo would want.   The PP is still plotting on how to turn the jogger into a pirate ship or even princess carriage.  You know anyplace else people would think us odd that we specially were registering for baby transportation devises  just so we would have an easy time at faire playing with them.  ;D

Adriana Rose

I loved my sling! It helped alot that way when my little one was tiny he could still be all scrunched up like newborns like and it was comfy for me too and when he got bigger he could sit up and check things out then if he fell asleep I just had to switch him around. My brother in law was convinced it wasnt safe but I never had a problem.

But for faire you have to keep in mind that it may get hot and a hot baby = a very fussy baby. I liked the stroller you could stash all the stuff the kiddo needed and there is stash space for your stuff too

LadyStitch

We don't plan on camping, but given that Sherwood is in Texas Febuary;  Do you think it would be ok to take the fuzzlet to Sherwood. She would be 4-5 months old? 
We are going to try for 1-2 weekends this year, and grandma is already asking for a weekend of grandbaby spoiling.  I'm trying to weigh the options of taking the fuzzlet, or giving her grandparent time.

Lady Kett

Quote from: LadyStitch on June 20, 2011, 11:04:09 AM
We don't plan on camping, but given that Sherwood is in Texas Febuary;  Do you think it would be ok to take the fuzzlet to Sherwood. She would be 4-5 months old? 
We are going to try for 1-2 weekends this year, and grandma is already asking for a weekend of grandbaby spoiling.  I'm trying to weigh the options of taking the fuzzlet, or giving her grandparent time.

Not that we were doing Faire when our daughter was that age, but being two parents far from any grandparental support, we took ours every where we went, no matter what we did. Weather be the decision maker, I suspect. Exceptionally cold/wet or to the contrary, exceptionally warm weather and you might wish to reconsider, but honestly, anything in between and the fuzzlet should be fine. Remember, babies have been around for an awfully long time and in all weather conditions. It's just defining what attire makes sense and what pain in the tushie the parents are willing to accept! Babies are quite adaptable, at least according to my memory. [At 21, they are very adaptable!!!]

Hoowil

My daughter was 3 months old at her first fair, my son was 6 weeks. For infants, aside from the baggage train required, its not too bad. Just keep in mind to let the renfant and momma have lots of oppertunities for rest. Even camping isn't too bad, both of my kids were under a year on their first campouts. (We haven't done camping and faire at the same time though)
Its the 18 month to 3 year range that gets challenging, as all they want is to be loose and explore, and can quickly vanish into crowds.
I'd say read back through the thread for a bunch of suggestions.

If you want a 'parents only' weekend, and have the oppertunity, take it! If you're not sure you need it, let the little one have a weekend of dress-up.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Leyla

Quote from: maeven on May 14, 2011, 08:55:58 AM
Since my husband and I are still in planning stages we have been looking at strollers and stuff here and there, I was wondering where can I find a good baby sling? (is that what it's called?)

I couldn't possibly be a bigger fan of the Maya Wrap! Our son is 10 months old, 20+ pounds, and we still carry him comfortably in this sling. We used it ALL THE TIME. It's much easier to put on/take off than the Moby style. We had him in and out between stores and car seats in a pinch, never having to futz with hauling around the car seat or lugging out and unfolding a stroller. He spent the day in this sling at 3 weeks old out at MNRF too. It distributes the weight very well once you get the hang of it (making sure the padding is wrapped over the round part of your shoulder, and not like a backpack strap closer to your neck). The Maya is still my husband's preferred carrier. Yes, they are a little more expensive, but it's a great investment.

If you keep an eye on craigslist they do occasionally pop up there. There are currently 2 in my local listing one for $35, the other $40.

I also love my woven wraps for longer carries. They're styled the same as the Moby, but are more supportive and can be used for front, back, craddle, and hip carries. My fussy boy is so much calmer in this carrier, and being able to throw him on my back I can actually do other things around the house. Check out some of these images of babies in woven wraps.

You have to sign up, but The Baby Wearer has tons of forums on all different types of carriers. It's a fantastic resources (once you get past all the goofy abbreviations).

PollyPoPo

QuotePosted by: LadyStitch 

For a day trip, she should be okay, depending on weather.  2011 we had a few cold mornings where we used capes (I think it got below freezing for us campers one night), but then 80s in the afternoon.  The last weekend I did see a very small infant (I swear only a couple weeks old) in the ladies room getting a hand bath with water trying to cool him down.  Six month old will probably be really fussing before she gets to that point.  Like others have said here before, it might be a shorter day than you would normally plan. 

I believe Sherwood is going to have wee ones wagons for rent.  If you have not been to Sherwood, it does have lots of dappled tree cover, and it is easy to avoid the direct sun if one so wishes.  Running February through first part of April, Sherwood might be freezing or in the 90s – you just never know.

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

LadySeasan

I am due August 18th, depending on when the little renlet decides to show up, we will be going to faire late September/October.

We have an awesome vintage pram that a friend snagged for us at the farmers market.  We will be decorating it to look somewhat renaissance-y.  When I don't feel like pushing her, I will carry her in a ring sling.  I find the moby wrap to be too much fabric and tying and wrapping to tote around fair. 
Clan M'Crack-Season M'Crack