News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Exodus?

Started by Hey- Arent You?, August 17, 2009, 09:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoë

My dad had one of them penguins in Catholic school when he was a boy who attacked him with a chalkboard eraser...
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Toki Bloodaxe

then he knows all about the terror that a ruler-wielding penguin can strike in the heart of the unwary.......now thats a story for a campfire...

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

I had a 3rd grade teacher that MUST have been a Nun at one point of her life and she LOVED to smack nuckles with that wooden ruler with the metal edge, and Mine were her favorite.

I remember one day she went to "Whack" my knuckles and I moved my hand and her favorite knuckle whacking ruler broke in two. I got double whacks for that with the broken ruler as she held my hand. WOW I just felt that ruler whacking me again for some reason. OH Gosh her ghost is haunting me,
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Zoë

I've had students sometimes who make me wish it was okay to hit kids with rulers....

Er, I mean....no!  I'm a kind and benevolent teacher!
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

holierthanthou

Quote from: Zoë on August 19, 2009, 03:55:27 PM
My dad had one of them penguins in Catholic school when he was a boy who attacked him with a chalkboard eraser...

Aah, the old reliable, Action Against Unruly Prisoners Act 23:75... aka "Leave them in the Dust".

Quote from: Toki Bloodaxe on August 19, 2009, 02:24:57 PM
  Please tell me she isn't...whimper, whimper......

That's whimple, whimple.......  NO... I only whack upon request or demand.

You should have seen all the adults who quickly stand up straight and flash their hands behind their back when I pass.  Especially when I was leading the parade or should I say clearing the pathway in 2007 with ruler in hand.  Ah... the good old days.  It brings a tear to my eye.

There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish a small candle.

Hey- Arent You?

Quote from: holierthanthou on August 19, 2009, 08:04:00 PM

You should have seen all the adults who quickly stand up straight and flash their hands behind their back when I pass.  Especially when I was leading the parade or should I say clearing the pathway in 2007 with ruler in hand.  Ah... the good old days.  It brings a tear to my eye.

and a sadistic smile to your face......   :-\
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Adriana Rose

but it was classic nun the less :D

Though your crowd clearing with the elephant this summer was just as impressive

holierthanthou

Aw shucks... thank you. (blushes) I try to do what I can.   One day Bill, the elephant guy said I scared even him with how loud I can get. ;D

If I didn't have Hey-Aren't You with me... who knows who would do more trampling... me or the elephant.  Actually, it is just that people watch to much tv and don't get the scary fact that there is a real animal with potential pain power than an arms length away. (shorter I might add than an elephants trunk) :o
There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish a small candle.

Hey- Arent You?

Quote from: holierthanthou on August 20, 2009, 12:40:22 AM
Aw shucks... thank you. (blushes) I try to do what I can.  One day Bill, the elephant guy said I scared even him with how loud I can get. ;D

If I didn't have Hey-Aren't You with me... who knows who would do more trampling... me or the elephant.  Actually, it is just that people watch to much tv and don't get the scary fact that there is a real animal with potential pain power than an arms length away. (shorter I might add than an elephants trunk) :o

Prob'ly you.   ;)

It is truly amazing how thick some people are, some days.  Absolutely refusing to move for a 5 TON animal, and getting simply indignant about being asked to. oh, the stories we could tell, and would, if not for the Elephant Krewe code of silence.  :-X  Some folks don't seem to understand that the "cast can't touch me" rule is NOT understood by the elephant.  and although she is the most sweet, kind, gentle animal that I have ever known, she is quite capable of doing serious damage without even realizing it.  She is also very self aware, and very aware of her surroundings and her handlers, who she is quite fond of. she knows that we are there to protect her, she will react if she feels that she, or any of us are in danger or being threatened.  People don't realize that this is NOT Disneyland, she is NOT animatronic, she CAN'T stop on a dime, and has a limited field of vision.  Basically, she's just like people.... but nicer.  about 2 years ago, in Scarby, Paige was in her trailer,and one of her people went in for some reason.  she did not know he was there (can't see behind her) shifted and pinned him, breaking 4 ribs. she realized when it happened, he was taken away by the EMT's and she WEPT, visibly and audibly, for 4 DAYS. kept 1/2 the campground awake, until he was back at work and she could see that he was OK, and she just stopped.  She also has a sense of humor (yes, really) and likes to screw with people.  She likes to play keep away with my hat, goose people under their kilts, throw water at people, etc.

I am also, frequently dismayed, when I overhear people talking about "those poor elephants" and how they are so "badly treated".  I want to state here, for the record, That Bill (the owner and their 'daddy') really truly loves those animals.  He takes excellent care of them, all of which are rescue animals, has spent many thousands of $$ on their rehab & care.  they do not live in their walking pen, but have a very large enclosure back stage, and he lives, sleeps & eats within 100' of them, always. He spends long periods of each weekday taking them on walks around the site. they romp and play with each other, receive plenty of water & food, and are happy because they have jobs and a purpose in life (much like working dogs, who cannot be happy without a job), and are surrounded by handlers that they know and love. They get to eat a wide variety of snacks, have friends at every show they go to, meet new people and make new friends all the time.  With the exception of being in the wild (which none of them could survive at this point) or being in a habitat sanctuary (which they are too domesticated for now), they really could not lead a better life.  I recently was at our local zoo, and I say, THOSE are the "poor elephants".  Separate cages, limited human contact, strict bland diets, keepers that change constantly, no purpose, constant boredom, never any change in scenery, etc.  Sadly, there are many poor and mistreated elephants in the world, but our 3 are NOT among them.

and, while I'm thinking about it... Hey DB!  if you are reading this, please go by their pen, ask for Bill, and tell him his colorado parade krewe sends love.  and give our elephants some apples (1 each).  they will accept the green granny smiths, but really prefer red delicious.  ;)  their names are Paige, Jean & Chris.  Paige is the largest, Chris the smallest.

I really miss them.

OK, sorry.  end rant.
~Edmund Burke

Norfolk

Wonderful, enlightening post, Hey.  One of the highlights of the parade is watching Paige "screw with the people", as you put it.  This past season, the Baroness and I happened to be watching when Paige snatched a pickle from the hand of a young (6-7 y/o) lad's hand.  Far from being frightened or dismayed, the lad looked as if he'd just won the lottery!  As for the people who refuse to move over when Paige comes trundling by, it just goes to prove the old addage:  Life is hard.  It's even harder if you're stupid.
Just call me "Your Grace"

Zoë

Thank you for the insight!  Out of curiosity, how does one get involved with the Elephant Krewe?  Or is that part of the code of silence?  ;)

I think it's great that all of them are rescues.  Much with normal household pets, I think rescuing animals is one of the greatest service someone can give.  (All of our pets are shelter rescues or stray pickups, with the exception of one of our kitties who we got off a farm when she was a kitten, we never buy from pet shops.)  Animals of all kinds do amazing things for people, and to mistreat them is just a horrible thing to do--and I hope it creates bad, bad karma for the people who do it!  Quite the opposite for people who rescue or harbor mistreated animals.  Our border collie, Harley, was very obviously abused before he was dumped at the shelter where we picked him up several years ago.  He used to tremble and hide if someone he didn't know came in the house, especially if they were tall men, and god forbid you ever picked up a stick near him.  He's a very sensitive animal and he knows when you're upset with him--but he also knows when you're happy with him.  If I've ever seen a dog smile, it's Harley.  He brings a lot to my life and I can't imagine it without him.  I also can't imagine anyone hitting such a sweet dog with a stick.  When we took him for a preliminary "getting-to-know-you" walk at the shelter, he immediately gave us all "Harley Hugs" as if to say, "Oh thank you, thank you!  Please take me home!"  And it was pretty much impossible to put him back after that.

Anyway, I digress.  Props to the elephant krewe.  :)
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Hey- Arent You?

Quote from: Zoë on August 20, 2009, 10:59:14 AM
Thank you for the insight!  Out of curiosity, how does one get involved with the Elephant Krewe?  Or is that part of the code of silence?  ;)

well, in my case...  My place used to belong to Traveler.  Robin & I walked in front of her, per Betty, because we had these long stick's to keep the crowd back.  ;)   a couple years later, Trav bowed out and told me to "take care of Paige & Bill" so it was kinda of passed down.  in 06 the Legends lost their place, but I kept showing up.  then there was this ...thing that happened... that kinda cemented me in place.  but I was alone.  I tried to recruit help, first Mac, who didn't stay, Then my Sister, who wouldn't leave, (K, have I told you lately?   :-*) and managed to survive Paige's "initiation". 

I'll fill in more detail and tell stories when I next see you. (don't mind talking about it, but won't put it in print)  But ultimately, Paige has to like you, and Bill has to like you, and think that he needs you.  Both of them are a little tough to get close to initially, but once you do, they are fierce friends.

Alternately, you beg Bill for a job.  but that usually entails actual work.  shoveling elephant poo is a rough job, but pays.  Neither Holier or I are paid. we do it cuz we love the Paige.  we do it for her, and Bill, and no one else.
~Edmund Burke

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

One thing you MUST always understand about ANY animal even those bred in captivity, they still are a animal and are just as un-prodectable as the guy standing behind you at the 7-11 who may just decide to go nuts.

Many cases of Animals... not just elephants going beserk on people and someone would have never thought it would happen. Just look at Sigfried and Roy or the numerus Chimps who tore someone apart or even the dog next door.

I for one when I see that big animal coming... I'm exiting stage left to get out of it's way tame or not.

I do remember last year she was coming at me (with handlers) I was tring SO hard to get out of the way but it's not easy in noble skirts to back up and get out of the way.

And then the guy with long hair this year who got it grabbed by the elepnat as the elephant was making a potty break.

Thanks Hey for the info.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Hey- Arent You?

Quote from: Lady de Laney on August 20, 2009, 12:20:45 PM
Many cases of Animals... not just elephants going beserk on people and someone would have never thought it would happen. Just look at Sigfried and Roy or the numerus Chimps who tore someone apart or even the dog next door.
You are abSOlutely correct.  these things do happen, with animals, and people too.  and holier & I realize, every day, that we put ourselves in potential harms way.  anyone, of any species, can freak out at any time.  IMHO, I think that Paige is in greater danger from the crowd, then the crowd is in danger from Paige.... but either way, I/we have taken it as our personal mission, to stand between one & the other.  I think that I can speak for both of us when I say that we are proud and honored to stand there, with the trust that She & Bill, as well as all of you, place in us.
I do remember last year she was coming at me (with handlers) I was tring SO hard to get out of the way but it's not easy in noble skirts to back up and get out of the way.
Sincerest appologies to you, and anyone that we may have startled, rushed or ever been harsh or grumpy with.  we get in kind of a 'zone', toatlly focused on safety and often don't even realize who we are talking to.  I promise, that even if you can't move, we won't either, and that she will bump me, before she bumps you.
And then the guy with long hair this year who got it grabbed by the elepnat as the elephant was making a potty break.
he got too close when my back was turned. I don't have 360 vision either. that & he was blond.  I think she thought either that it was straw, and she could eat it, or that it was a wig, and was playing with him.

I mean.... Don't know what you are talking about.  never happened.  you're mistaken.  this is not the elephant you saw. we can go.
(why is there no Jedi emoticon?)    8)
~Edmund Burke

Aernn

Yep.  Even "domestic" animals are dangerous.

I worked at a pet store once.  A lady came in a bought a hamster.  Yes a hamster.  This is the place that I learned Hamsters were Eeeeevil!

So in the 5 minutes (or less) that it took her to get from the cages to the register, the hamster bit her.

Cause guess what she did?  She stuck her finger inside the cardboard box that had a scared, angry, and confused hamster inside it.

(This is not what convinced me that hamsters were evil.  She entirely deserved it.)
All know that only bards and pregnant women need ever explain themselves ~ Unknown (otherwise saying, can't remember)