News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Feedback on Castle of the Day

Started by DonaCatalina, August 17, 2009, 12:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferret

I check it out everyday. Usually one of my early things to do.

I appreciate your work and really enjoy the castles. Especially since I'll never get to see most of them in person.

Thank you !
Ferret

Ferret

Quote from: Ferret on March 31, 2010, 11:21:12 AM
I check it out everyday. Usually one of my early things to do.

I appreciate your work and really enjoy the castles. Especially since I'll never get to see most of them in person.

Thank you !
Ferret

I should add that I often do a little more research with the introduction you provide. Like the one castle that surrendered and the person they surrendered to broke the surrender agreement and hanged the defenders. Well it seems his brother had been held prisoner in that castle, so there was a little more to learn.
Ferret

DonaCatalina

Quote from: NoBill Lurker on March 31, 2010, 06:17:07 AM
I visit every day!  ;D

For some reason it feels like you should read the short history and enjoy the pictures, no comments required, because they kind of clutters up the thread...

well-- comments are what this thread is for. Thanks all!
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

An interesting side note for the castle of May 14,2010, Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus was the Roman who conquered Palmyra.
The reason the town's Roman ruins are so extensive is because he stayed there for an extended period while he tried to settle the question of which of two brothers would be king of the jews.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Kasteel Wissekerke from May 21,2010 still has its 10th century dungeons and cellars but the public is not allowed down there to take pictures. I understand its below the waterline.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Jack Daw at Work on September 02, 2010, 09:13:27 AM
Jiminy!  How do you keep track of the castles you've posted?  Are you sure you haven't repeated any?  Regardless, I love this thread.

Well between Google Earth map pins and this site's search engine, I'm pretty sure there are no duplicates.
I'm also reasonably certain that I won't run out of castles since there are 3000 in Belgium alone.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Hi all. For the month of December I would like to do some requests, a Mid-Winter gift from me to you of sorts. Please post your requests here, or you can PM me.
Thank you to all castle fans.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Anna Iram

I don't have any particular castle in mind but something in Germany might be nice, with all the pines and snow.

Lady Rebecca

I know it probably doesn't count as a castle, but I would love to see something about Wentworth Woodhouse.

DonaCatalina

Wentworth Woodhouse is a Grade I listed country house near the village of Wentworth, in the vicinity of Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England. It is a 17th century palace and unfortunately does not qualify for the castle thread. But please keep making requests.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

Not a specific castle, Doña Catalina, but perhaps appropriate: I love the shots of any of the castles in the snow. Something about it just melts my butter!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Mairte

I LOVE the Castle of the Day thread, I just thought we were supposed to look and not comment? Please keep it going!
I dont have a preference for castles....except maybe I like the Irish ones a little more than others.

Lady Kett

Quote from: DonaCatalina on November 30, 2010, 01:14:58 PM
Wentworth Woodhouse is a Grade I listed country house near the village of Wentworth, in the vicinity of Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England. It is a 17th century palace and unfortunately does not qualify for the castle thread. But please keep making requests.

What exactly qualifies as a castle? Is it the age? Fortifications? Just totally curious.

I, too, have no specific requests. I can't imagine there's a castle I could want to see that you haven't included already. Any random Google castle searching and I'd then see what I could see here!

Thank you to Warrior Monk for standing in, also. Those were some great castles!

DonaCatalina

A castle is a structure originally built for defense as much as for living quarters. It doesn't neccesarily have to be living quarters for a noble. Some castles were built for town defenses and used by town councils, king's officers, etc. I try to limit myself to fortifications built prior to 1603. Castles that no longer look very castle-like qualify if their origins meet the basic criteria since the 18th century saw a lot of heavy remodeling.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

If you have shown it, I missed it, but there is one on US soil: Castillo San Felipe del Morro in San Juan, P.R.  Nimue and I visited there in `84. I've seen it show up in some movies as well (Amistad for one).  It's one of our national parks as of 1961.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...