News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What travel book to have for Faire?

Started by amy, August 17, 2009, 01:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amy

Here is the problem being tossed around our house:  We are traveling over Labor Day weekend from Alabama to Ohio for our first visit to OHRF.  We are excited about all but the drive!   Any great suggestions for books on CD for my daughter and myself to listen to on the way to get us psyched up for the weekend?  We both read everything from Jane Austen to Douglas Adams!   Thanks for any suggestions! If I stay awake driving you could be saving our lives!
Best to all, Amy

Noble Dreg

Quote from: amy on August 17, 2009, 01:17:56 PM
...We both read everything from Jane Austen to Douglas Adams!...

So you've read everything from A to A?   ;D

I'd pick something like the "Chronicles of Narnia" to get in that "Fest/Fantasy" frame of mind.

Of course when you said "travel book"  I immediately thought of the Hitch-hikers guide!
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Damien Ryan

have you read the george r.r. martin books? great reads!! also "Gardens of the moon" steve eriksson.

i find it makes me car sick if i read while in the car lol

Adriana Rose

Hmm movies!

Robin Hood - the Disney version!

Inkheart- really good movie!

Ella Enchanted

Books

anything by Tamora Pierce! She rocks! I still read her books!

Dont forget the tunes!
Favorite Faire CDs
Blackmores Night

amy

Thanks for the suggestions!  The George R.R. Martin and Steve Erikson are both new names for us so we will definately look those up and see if they have anything on CD.

Inkheart just went on my Netflix queue!  ~thanks~

And don't worry N.G.   I never travel without my towel!

analise

If you're going to do Inkheart, you should also be aware there's a trilogy of books by Cornelia Funke (Inkheart, Inkspell, and Inkdeath) and they're worth a read. In a few ways, I prefer them over the movie (and I saw the movie before I even knew there were books). But the movie has Paul Bettany so it is amazing anyway. And the visuals are lovely.

Maybe also go for The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

And sort of fantasy-Jane-Austen-esque: The Magicians and Mrs. Quent by Galen Beckett.

Definitely Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Or a good travel-book would be American Gods by same. Or get The Graveyard Book which...really has little to relate it to Faire but is a good read so!

The Bedlam's Bard series by Mercedes Lackey, too, might fit.

Damien Ryan

ohhh btw, the george rr martin, and eriksson books have parts that are not children appropriate.