News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Non Drinkers?

Started by remission, August 10, 2008, 09:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rebecca

I've never had any alcohol. It just doesn't interest me at all. I've been to parties where everyone is getting drunk and acting like lunatics, and it makes me certain that I don't want to join them. I can have tons of fun without alcohol. Plus, I have a really big thing with control, and I like to be in control of myself at all times (no downhills skiing for me!) so that plays a big part. But I turned 21 5 months ago, and since then, especially, I feel like I'm always having to convince people that, no, I don't want to drink.

Also, I'm pretty much always the driver, because I like driving. And I tend to go exploring places by myself. (Especially this summer.) My friends at school don't do much drinking, either, but all my coworkers up here seem like they go out to a bar or a party every night. And that's just not for me. It kind of sucks, though, since I do theatre, and that seems to be a favorite pasttime, but I'm fine in my sobriety.

Dinobabe

I agree, drinking has too many unknown elements to it.  I've probably had 4oz of alcohol in my life.
Hubby and I went to a wine tasting and walked out with 2 cases of grape juice!

Just a funny story to boost the fun without alcohol point...

My church had a valentines dinner and hired a swing band for entertainment.  EVERYONE was on the floor dancing; old, young, didn't matter.  We kept begging the band to play longer.  Since it's church, of course, no drinks.  At one point they said they had never seen a group of people have so much fun, especially without alcohol.  They were supposed to leave at 9pm or something but agreed to keep playing because we were having so much fun.  I think we finally wore THEM out at 10:30pm! :D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Shandi

I'm 45 and I did my share of drinking, however in the last 5 -6 years it has lost it's appeal. I just don't like the way it makes me feel. My husband of 28 years never drinks he's maybe had a 6 beers in his life. I want to see what's going on around me with open eyes and a clear head it's better to enjoy the show of life :) nothing more fun then being sober and watching people drink and get stupider and stupider as the night progress's it's even better if you have a camera :)
"Chase the Morning" "Yield for Nothing!"

Damien Ryan

ROFL shandi, you and ur camera would have fun with me and my crew then LOL!

Carl Heinz

1.  Never felt the need to drink (or use) to have a good time.
2.  Now I've got several meds that say no alcohol.
3.  At Faire, alcohol dehydrates.  (Although a number of vendors prefer the greater tendency to spend if folks have had a bit.)

But I don't think I'm someone else's keeper.  If someone wants to drink, that's ok as long as their drinking doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment and they stay away from behind the wheel.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Shandi

this is so nice to talk to other party people that don't drink!
I'm working the TRF this year for the first time. Looking forward to making new friends and meeting new people. Come see me at the "Wee People Shop"
"Chase the Morning" "Yield for Nothing!"

shadowcat546

had a devilish thought:...though I'm not a drinker, wouldn't it be nice if Cute-guy-I-dated-in-college was at Fest sometime, was a little drunk, and kissed me?  that would make up for me having missed out on having dated him longer in my youth. sigh!
Shannon, ..The Colonial Peddler --see Webshots shadowcat546 (so.-east Mich.) Goods for Sale

Woodsman

I've been a non drinker for 15 years now and I still have a blast at parties. I own a D.J. service and people at the parties I work at can't be leave that I don't drink with all the free booze.
Landshark #77