News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How it fits together...

Started by Lady Kett, August 09, 2009, 03:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Kett

I apparently spent entirely too much time looking at men in kilts to plan my husband's garb than I did looking at the ladies. I'm having "issues" with my garb and can't quite decide what the major malfunction is.

I have a long dark blue skirt, an ivory peasanty-blouse, and a pendragon bodice. If I wear the bodice where I seem to think it belongs at the top, then I end up with what I think is entirely too much shirt showing between the bodice and skirt.

If I wear the bodice lower to get closer to the skirt, the dilemma morphs into 2 options. One is that if the back of the bodice is close enough to the skirt, then the skirt shows through the lacing in the front, looking rather odd to me. If I line the bodice bottom in the front up to the skirt, I get this poofy part of shirt sticking out the back.

Exactly what is the proper placement and alignment supposed to be? I am wondering if I am perhaps a tad too tall or long in the torso for the pendragon bodice in the first place, but it's the only one I've got at the moment.

Thoughts, opinions and advice are most appreciated!

Celtic_Fae

Do you have photos? And where are you wearing your skirt? On your hips (modern society's idea of "waist") or on your natural waist where skirts were worn during the time?

Lady Kett

Natural waist is where the skirt is at. I've been perusing photos for a good chunk of time today. I wonder if just leaving the shirt outside the skirt might solve part of the problem.

No pics at the moment, but I can try to get some.

Dinobabe

Without pics it's hard to say but it sounds like you are wearing the skirt too low.  You might be surprised at how high your waist really is! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Lady Renee Buchanan

It may be the bodice.  I have 3 Pendragon bodices.  They run short in the length.  I ended up buying a Tall, even though I'm not tall.  And I'm not usually long-waisted.

If your skirt is able to be altered, or if you are making a new skirt, it will probably help to make the waistband between 2-3 inches, so you don't get the chemise showing through.  That's how I had mine made.

Another thing, is it possible to close the lacings in the front so that the skirt doesn't show through, and then leave the back lacing open a little extra to compensate for the front being completely closed?  I did this on one of mine, too.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

gypsylakat

I really want to have someone who knows what they're doing measure me, I have similar length issues with my bodices, and I'm hesitant to make one without help simply for the fact that I don't know... probably doesn't help that I'm curvy and according to my aunt "have no waist" :(
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Leyla

I tried on a pendragon when we went to Bristol a few weeks ago. Same problem. I would have had to hike my skirt up over my belly button in order for things not to gape. If I'd gone with that bodice I probably would have gotten a new hip length shirt and worn it untucked underneath.

Dinobabe

My natural waist is about at my belly button.  Try these instructions for finding the natural waistline. ;)
http://www.freecraftunlimited.com/articles/sewing-find-your-waistline.html
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Lady Kett

Well, last night I dragged hubby upstairs with the camera to play grown-up dress-up and fuss with everything, fully intent on taking pics to beg for more assistance. Things actually seemed to work better and be in the proper places, so I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, what we needed was more practice! :)

I am having the skirt altered a wee bit, but to be honest, I think maybe it was more first garbing issues than anything else. I also have another bodice on order and anxiously await that to compare to the Pendragon (which I still think is "short" but workable). So, if you're going to Rendezvous be sure to take me aside and set me right if needed as I freely admit this is all new to me!

Thanks much!!!