News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Character names loosely based on your real life?

Started by Sullivans Bastard, August 18, 2009, 02:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sullivans Bastard

How many of you do this - create your character name based on your real name?  Maybe with a little tongue in cheek exaggeration...

I'm new to all of this and am creating my character/persona in preparation for my first visit to a major Ren Faire (KCRF).
This is what I'm considering:

I am an amateur luthier, so intend to make my Ren persona also a luthier. ( maybe vend in the future?)
The name on my birth certificate, although not the one on my Driver's license, is James Hughey.  My IRL biological father was named Sullivan, & my mother's was Hughey.

So, my persona name shall be James Ó hEochaidh, pronounced O'Hughey.  My persona is supposedly the bastard son (paternity denied) of Donal Ó Súilleabháin, chieftan of the Ó Súilleabháin Béirre clan.  He was killed in 1563 before he could fulfill a promise to my mother to acknowledge me as his son and rightful heir.  I was named James by my mother's English husband, who refused me a good Irish name as well as his own last name. The townsfolk referred to me as Sullivan's Bastard so often that the name stuck.

So, meet James Ó hEochaidh, aka Sullivan's Bastard.  ;D  I build psalteries, harps, pipes and flutes.

Lady Nicolette

Definitely! 

My persona is "Lady Nicolette," the "lady" was given to me a long time ago.  But even longer ago, at my birth, my mother named me "Nickie" after my grandfather, "Nikola."  I was baptized a few years later and the Catholic priest from the old country, insisted that my mother give me a "Christian [sic. feminine] name," so she decided on "Nicolette."   So either first name is considered legal.  And the proper "Lady" was later bestowed properly upon me by Syrilla and BLAKDUKE here at RF.com.   

Enjoy your persona and your endeavors in building musical instruments.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

RSLeask

Well, I did for VARF, name I used is my actual first name and the clan I'm descended from.  It makes it easier when you're being called by friends who are used to calling you by that, anyway.  Since most of my friends are used to calling me "Sly" anyway (family nickname), it doesn't matter.

However, I've been considering changing the name I use, as my first is more Irish than Scottish (Ryan).  I've been toying with the idea of taking on the name of the dwarf I play in RPGs (WoW of late), partly because I'm more used to being called that nowadays when I'm in a roleplaying mode anyway.  So it would befit me to change to that, particularly if I'm in kilt.  Which means I would go from Ryan Leask, to Tiergan Leark.  I'm still considering, however, since he's always been more the straight-forward brawler, and I play more as the woodsman/mysterious traveler type.  And I want to do some research to see if the Leask Clan used the more exotic Gaelic names during the time period.  It's just all consideration, but I will probably start trying it out at MDRF this year, so I can shore up whether I use that permanently once I go home to MIRF.

And by the by, excellent persona and backstory.  ^_^
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

Lady Renee Buchanan

Renee is my first name and Steve is my husband's.  We tried to use other names but never remembered to answer when someone spoke to us.

Buchanan isn't our last name, so we incorporated our real names into our ficticious last name. And our real last name is actually a Sept of the Clan Buchanan, so that's why we picked it.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

sealion

I chose Ciana Leonardi di Firenze to keep the same initials as my real name. To my knowledge I don't have Italian ancestors. When researching women's names in renaissance Florence (which by the way are MUCH harder to find than men's names!) I didn't want a common name and Ciana caught my eye since it combines the Ci of Cindy with Ana/Anna which was my maternal grandmother's name. When submitting it as my SCA name I was pleased to learn that there are only three or four Cianas registered but imagine my surprise when a woman I met in a class introduced herself as Ciana!
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Sullivans Bastard

Quote from: sealion on August 21, 2009, 06:15:05 AM
I chose Ciana Leonardi di Firenze to keep the same initials as my real name. To my knowledge I don't have Italian ancestors. When researching women's names in renaissance Florence (which by the way are MUCH harder to find than men's names!) I didn't want a common name and Ciana caught my eye since it combines the Ci of Cindy with Ana/Anna which was my maternal grandmother's name. When submitting it as my SCA name I was pleased to learn that there are only three or four Cianas registered but imagine my surprise when a woman I met in a class introduced herself as Ciana!

I'll be real surprised if I meet another Sullivan's Bastard!  ;D

Rellspire

Not me, my name comes solely from a story I'd written.  Though the Rellspire in the story is the name of a mountain range
Don't make me get my whip!

Angus

I sort of blend an "Alter" ego with my own reality, I don't use my real first name, but I do use my heritage, and lineage to some extent...

I am:
The Right Honourable Lord, Sir Angus McHatton, Earl of Bute.
Keeper of the Faith, Holder of the Power, Son of James, Son of Earnest who fell at the Battle of Flodden defending the King, James IV.

Born on the Isle of Bute, Scotland. December 20th in the year of our Lord 1551
Second Son to the Earl of Bute.

Educated in Edinburg as a Medical Doctor, however served with the Military as a Soldier and Bodyguard to the Earl, distinguished in Battle at St. Bartholomew and awarded ancestral lands on the Isle of Bute after the death of his elder brother.

With Royal permission, married Lady Paige Matthews of Oleander, Lady in waiting to Elizabeth I.

Fathered 6 sons and 1 daughter with Lady Jean, Grandfather to 3 Grandsons, and 1 Granddaughter.

I can trace my family back through, Ireland, England to Scotland almost 1100 years...  

I am directly related to Sir Christopher Hatton, (along with about 12,000+ other folk.)

(...some names were changed to protect the innocent!)
Chief cook, and bottle washer...

BLAKDUKE

My Name is Allen and the character I have developed into 2 different walks of life.  The first was a simple nobleman who is (of all things) both Saxon and Plantagenet.  a Plantagenet father and a Saxon mother.  The naming was simple it became ALLYN and since at the time of this characters development I was living on Salisbury St in Rochedter NY I became, Sir ALLYN Duke of Salisbury.
Since my garb tended to be mostly black it was extended to Sir Allyn Duke of Salisbury ere'wise known as the Blakduke.  When I started performing as royalty it was then developed into King ALLYN the Only, the most unknown King in English history.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Capt. Morgan

Morgan Dunne....

"Dunne" is my real Irish Family name...From my stories "Morgan" is a variation of my immortal character who was dubbed "Morrigan" when she fought along side Boudicca. "Morgan" also evolved from her mortal name "Muirgen" which means "Born of the Sea" and "Morgan" also fits for the times when my character is disguised as a male.
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

tiberiusflynn

My nickname is Jack...and I named my pirate Jack (which I figured was a common enough pirate/sailor name).....but then another Jack came along that ruined it for any pirate named Jack...so I'm at a loss. I can't tell you how many times I get called Jack Sparrow, even though I nor my pirate looks anything like Sparrow........sigh.......

Lady L

When researching English names, I discovered that my husband's first and last name were *authentic faire names*, as well as my oldest son's first name! His father was of English descent.

His mother was a Stewart and his grandfather was from Ireland and further back, ancestors from Scotland, but we haven't gone that direction.

Most of my ancestors (that I have traced) are of German heritage. I paint fine art images, so I can't be a peasant. So, I became "Lady" and the "L" is my real first initial. I know it isn't that much of a stretch, but then, my real name is on my sign and on all my pieces of fine art, so I really need to stick with that.

My husband's first name is Roger, so he became "Sir Roger." On the days he wears his Woodland Elf garb, he becomes "Hawthorne Deciduous Oakwood." When he wears his pirate garb, we call him Capt. Roger. When he wears his Middle Eastern Arabian garb, someone at faire named him "Ishmael."
I suppose he should use "______Stewart" for Scottish weeknd. This year, he had Wizard garb, but no name as yet.
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Rin

Well, I've not really done much as far as character development, but  yes. My character's first name is similar to my real name. I did this because everyone at fair that's known me forever calls me 'Rin' this comes from my real name 'Corinne.'  In order to keep everything simple I looked for names with 'Rin' in them that would fit in the time in history I was shooting for... and came up with 'Marrin.'
"Chivalry is the most delicate form of contempt."

raevyncait

I've not really developed a full character... although my character's name is
Lady Raevyn Caitrina Clark, and is based on my real first name Raenell, and Clark is the maiden name of one of my grandmothers.
The only development I've done is that my mother is of Scottish descent, and fell for a dark haired & dark eyed gypsy, who was ultimately lost to her, and she returned to her family, with her young daughters (me and my BFF who is also dark haired & dark eyed)
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Betty Munro

Quote from: Sullivans Bastard on August 21, 2009, 11:55:26 AM

I'll be real surprised if I meet another Sullivan's Bastard!  ;D

Really?!?  From what I hear Sullivan has many bastards.
LOL - teasing - I just couldn't resist!