News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Character names loosely based on your real life?

Started by Sullivans Bastard, August 18, 2009, 02:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinobabe

My name is Natasha Sue McCallister.  My character name is Anastazia Desmond McCallasdair, which means "Resurrection, Gracious Defender of Mankind".  I figured that instead of racking my brain for a character I would have fun with who I really am.
While doing genealogy I found that my husband and I come from the same parent clan, McLeod, which means we could have really married back then.
I won't post it here but my entire back story is the historical version of my real life (with a few embellishments ;) ).  Worked out quite well, actually! 
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Ken

Currently I use my own given name, Kenneth Dickinson.  "Kenneth" is period enough, being an Anglicization of the Gaelic "Coinneach" or "Cinaed".  "Dickinson" is a spelling/pronounciation variant of "Dicson" or "Dickson", a Scottish surname which dates to at least 1307.

In years past I had a French cavalier persona and I used the name Valere de Valmont, elements of which I drew from "The Three Musketteers" and from "Les Liaisons Dangereuses".

~Ken
"Mom, Dad...I'm Gaelic."
As never seen in Renaissance Magazine.

DonaCatalina

My husband and I chose Spanish names to go with our garb.
Since pre-1550 Spanish garb is more suited for the Texas climate than most Henrician or Elizabethan, that is mostly what I make for us.

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

dragongirl

Well my mundane name is Bettilou, a good southern name wasted on NY Puerto Rican, but whatever.  I originally toyed with variations of my name like Isobella Lousia and they were too common or just didn't sound right.  One day while researching a case on overtime, one of the clients were named Hermina.  I loved the sound of the name and when I researched it, in spanish it means Lady of the Earth.  It is also a very old eastern european name.  My last name is De Pagan which is because she does not want to reveal her true family name.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Wolfhawker

William "The Hawk" Kerr
----------------------
My real life:
Well I used my real first name of William and my 2G-grandmother's maiden name of Kerr and I have a nickname of Wolfhawk due to my tattoo's and connections with both animals.

Wolf: Growing up in South TX, I lived on a farm and ranch. About one mile away from the house was some original brush that was over 100 yrs old and about 150 ac size.  Hugh mesquites trees and brushs thick you would think nothing could pass thru it.  I would walk down there to a game trail that I found that came out of it. I found an old Indian campground deep in the thicket where the Indians would camp to harvest flint from an embankment.  I would find old arrow heads and spear heads that were broken while making. I found I could call up coyotes from this thicket at night from my house.  These would come up to the house withing eye distance and you could see thier eyes in the dark wondering where this coyote was that they heard. I trekked all over the place by foot; to a friends house almost 5 miles away. My companion, a coyote/dog that one of our females gave birth to and was the only one to live from the birth.

Hawk: All my life, I have been close to Red-tail Hawks.  They have come to live near me at each and every place I have lived in. I lived at once place north of where I presently live and had 3 nesting pairs move on to my property. They would hunt in my front pasture and sit/nest in my 100 yr old Oaks and Pecan trees.
-------------------------------------
My character's life:
I am a Scotsman who has spent most of his life as a bodyguard or a tracker or a merc in different regions from as far south as the Border Marchs and as far north as the Inverness. His life has followed the general layout of my life.
Na Fir Dileas
Clan McLotofus - The Order of Culloden Moor
QOH/QRHG
IBRS #1654
RMG #921
Assassin's Guild
RenRat Nat

Merlin

Not even close...
Merlin has been one of my favorite characters for as long as I can remember.

Now...when I'm kilted... "Scott the Scot" is just who I am.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Elistariel

I tried using a different name once. Total failure. Although considering I can only go for a few hours one day out of the year IF I can go, it wasn't that big of a deal.  ;)
I tried using the name of one of my ancestors. I guess unless the name starts with the same sound as my real name, I won't respond. At. All. That little bell in my head that tells me someone wants my attention just doesn't ding.

My mundane name - Abby (No it is not short for Abigail.)
The name I tried out - Isabel aka Izzy.

I don't see any need to come up with a name. I'm just a one day for a few hours a year patron. I'd love to go more than one day a year when I can go, but when it's my turn to drive I have to fill my car up again before I can get home. It's just too far away.

Drudonn

I had decided I wanted to create a wizard persona (I've always loved long flowing robes), and I wanted to do them in brown (a different color for me), to create a woodland wizard character. My ancestry is primarily Scottish (Clan Davidson), so I looked into Gaelic.

Dru--from 'Druid,' "dru-" means wise
Donn--"donn" means brown, so I am a brown wizard--my name is a portmanteau of Druid-donn (Brown druid)

Since my persona is a wizard, I wanted to look into real pagan magical practices for finding a name. When you assign every letter a number value (a=1, b=2, etc.), the letters of my full name, when added together until one digit is reached, equals 3. This is the magic number of my name. So I looked for a similar numerical value for my wizard name--I had to come up with a surname, 'Thorn,' which works with the woodland wizard persona; when the numerical value (the magic number) of "Drudonn Thorn" is calculated, it also equals 3.

So I'm Drudonn Thorn, Wizard of the Wilds.

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Merlin on May 21, 2010, 12:16:12 PM
Not even close...
Merlin has been one of my favorite characters for as long as I can remember.
That's my boy!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Alphonse

My middle name is Alphonse,it was my grandfather's first name on my father's side of the family. I never cared much for it while growing up but when I took up my wizard's robes it seemed a natural fit. The name has two possible origins and can mean, noble or battle ready depending on which root one chooses. I like to think that both are apt descriptions. The title "the green" has to do with the fact that I am a woodland hedge wizard of sorts and to reflect that my mantle is green. In my "real" life I live in the woods, a dense pine grove and talk to birds every day, a certain cockatiel hen has the crazy notion that I am indeed her mate. There are many differant traditions associated with wizards, I like best the European ones. A wise man who possesses and preserves knowledge from a past age that is now lost. I am master of the astrolabe and wear one as a badge of my craft, and by use of it am a master of both time and space. With it I can track the stars, tell the month, day and even the hour. It permits me to triangulate so I always know where I am at, where I am going and how best to get there. With it I can square, level and plumb, giving me the ability to build anything that our ancient forebarers have wrought. Lastly and perhaps the most dangerious knowledge the astrolabe grants me is, by it's use in conjunction with certain esoteric formula it is possible to prove that the earth is indeed a globe and not flat at all. But let that be our little secret for I fear if the Church was to know that I spread such hearsays I would be forced to flee even deeper into the depths of my woodland grove to avoid being burnt upon a stake... ;D

Lord Clisto of York

The name I have as Clisto is from a D&D character, but, the person I mainly portray and garb I wear is actually from my family history at the time of Richard I, when we had a Marques in the family who helped run part of his mother, Eleanor of Aquitaine's estates.
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished