News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New Comer to NYRF

Started by Damien Ryan, August 09, 2009, 09:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damien Ryan

I will probably be going to the NYRF on the 15Th for the first time, i went to the Pennsylvania one this past weekend and really had the time of my life. 

Has any1 been to both and can give me some comparisons?

I could also use some inside tips on what shows to see, i love the joust and human chess the best from the PRF...Id love to meet up with some people as I'm probably going by myself, also, lets errr say avoiding security with a flask of booze acceptable or not? Or should i drink in the parking lot? =)

And weapons tied? meaning i should have a zip Cord with me, at the PR one they seemed really lazy about this, my sword was in the scabbard and no1 even asked me about it their.

Lady_Claira

I haven't been to the PA one, so I can't compare.

But shows to see? I love Dextre Tripp's show. It is funny and I love his rope walking stuff. There are two jousts and two chess matches. The first chess match is very well choreographed and very funny. I highly suggest checking that one out. Pub sing is a ton of fun as well. I also absolutely love going to Trial and Punishment. It is fun to me to see exactly how many puns they can throw into each case. (Though be prepared to be pulled up on stage for that one)

I won't say any of the shows are bad, but Dextre Tripp, Trial and Punishment, and the first chess match are my absolute favorites this year.

Hope you enjoy it a bunch.
You see this training pin? It could be yours. You could learn all about wenches! And that's a promise! - My friend Mike

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: Damien Ryan on August 09, 2009, 09:01:50 PM
I will probably be going to the NYRF on the 15Th for the first time, i went to the Pennsylvania one this past weekend and really had the time of my life. 

Has any1 been to both and can give me some comparisons?

I could also use some inside tips on what shows to see, i love the joust and human chess the best from the PRF...Id love to meet up with some people as I'm probably going by myself, also, lets errr say avoiding security with a flask of booze acceptable or not? Or should i drink in the parking lot? =)

And weapons tied? meaning i should have a zip Cord with me, at the PR one they seemed really lazy about this, my sword was in the scabbard and no1 even asked me about it their.

Greetings!

Friar Tuck , er.. Brother Robert here...  ;D

I have not been to the PA Faire so I can't help you there. But to answer some of your other questions - I always fly solo so I'm more than happy to meet up and introduce you around to some folks I've met.   You are allowed to have a flask, but since they prohibit outside foods/drinks you're best off not making it obvious you are drinking from said flask. I think just about everyone has one on their person somewhere.    Weapons are allowed if peace-tied, they'll tie it for you at the gate if you don't do it yourself ahead of time.. depending on the vigilance of the guy at the gate when you come in.

The 15th I will be at the opening gates, and at the 1:30 parade, and likely at the pub sing at the end of the day.

Damien Ryan

ok, sounds good maybe we can trade cells...ok so small flask...not large canteen of rum LOL!!!

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: Damien Ryan on August 10, 2009, 01:37:52 PM
ok, sounds good maybe we can trade cells...ok so small flask...not large canteen of rum LOL!!!

The faire is a dead zone for my cell. I lose my signal right about where 17-A becomes one lane.  Usually that's a good thing because I don't want to speak to anyone while I'm having fun. The downside of course, is that I also can't easily contact anyone while there.  I always pray I don't get a flat or break down right around the Faire lol

;D

Damien Ryan

haha no problem! i will be walking around with my sister, the young good looking lord and lady LOL LOL!

Lady_Claira

I won't be there on the 15th, but I hope both you and your sister have a wonderful time. You should greatly enjoy yourselves.
You see this training pin? It could be yours. You could learn all about wenches! And that's a promise! - My friend Mike

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: GoodyTombShoes on August 11, 2009, 05:12:29 PM
My home faire is PARF and a group of us visited NYRF on opening day. It is a very nice faire, lots of actors, lots of shows, lots of pubs, lots of vendors. It's a woody, less cultivated grounds. If it rains, like it did the night before we went; it is a mudpit. I like the trails and paths to wander on. The glitter on the "gypsy road was very inviting. Just beware....you don't want to pull the nail outta the guy's nose. No matter how he begs and tells you it's ok and how you can be king of england.   :o

PARF is on my list of things to do, assuming my budget survives into October !  ;D  I promised myself I wouldn't spend anything last weekend and was in for over a hundred already. Its rather hard to resist the lure of merchandise!!  Especially all the pointy metal stuff! And..beverages.

Lady_Claira

Actually, I find that rather easy...

I don't bring any of my debit cards, only cash. I only bring enough to survive. For example, when I go on Labor day, I'm only bringing $40 for food and nothing more. (I'm getting my tickets the night before) That makes not spending so much easier! LOL.

Damien Ryan

haha i have my mom making me a pouch to bring a flask or 2 in this weekend, so hopefully i dont spend as much on booze as usual LOL!!

(guaranteed im gona get drunk from the flasks and then want beers and spend the same anway LOL!)

I told my mom if she could make a patch big enough to fit a bottle of whiskey in, it would be even better haha!

Lady_Claira

I'm not old enough to drink yet... So, I guess that helps, lol! But then again, I don't like beer at all and I'm not big on drinking anyway. (Just cause I'm not old enough, doesn't mean I haven't, lol)