News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Is this the best faire on the east coast?

Started by Damien Ryan, August 19, 2009, 04:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damien Ryan

Hey, all quick question i met some nice people at the NYRF (which was amazing) who told us that they are heading down to the MRF in october and told us how much they loved it there.  Me and my sister were thinking of comming down in october, is this faire really that great? we will be driving probably 5 hours and getting a hotel for the weekend.

So i guess the question is this faire that good? and how does it compare to NYRF and PARF?

RSLeask

Can't speak comparatively.  In fact, I would hesitate to compare any two Faires, because they each have their own bright spots and charms compared to others.  However, I can say that MDRF has some great activities and performances.  The musical performances are top notch, as well as performances of all types (see the entertainment schedule posted in another thread).  There's a good amount of shopping from high quality crafters, though a little higher in price compared to other places.  Most of all, we have a large following of playtrons, and a quality performance cast that makes for a friendly, welcoming atmosphere.  If you haven't been, and can afford the trip, come down and experience it, I do guarantee that you won't be disappointed.

If you do decide to come down, highly recommend you see each of the musical performances.  Ones to absolutely not miss are the Pyrates Royale (if there's a signature group for the Faire, they're it), the Holligans, the O'Danny Girls, and the Interpreters.  Even if you just hear a little bit of each... they are worth the sit-down though.
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

analise

Yep, asking if this is the best faire or asking us to compare is just...well, everybody thinks their faire is the best.

Now, I've only been to a couple of faires (VARF, MDRF, and TNRF) but that said?

MDRF is awesome. It's the first faire I ever went to and about from the moment I walked in I felt like "this is home".

As already mentioned, the music is great. I can't think of one musical performance (in the lanes or on the stages) that I ever wished I hadn't stopped to listen.

I am compelled to mention, lest I lose my groupie status card, that Fight School is the best comedy fight show to be seen and not to be missed.

So yes, the entertainment is wonderful, the shops are lovely, the food is tasty... and the people are amazing. (and if you get there early enough before the opening gate show, there's usually at least a small group of us tailgating so come have coffee and pastries!).

kcdcchef

yeah, comparing faires is gutwrenching for all involved. i hold all to the standard of my home faire, kansas city renaissance festival, which, is totally amazing and all.

but since i dont really have a dog in this fight, and have been to new york, sterling, virginia ( old and new ), maryland, and pennsylvania, i would say the best of all of them is maryland, hands down. just feels more like a true shire than the rest, in my opinion. and i think the music is better at maryland, and the lane acts / characters tend to interact better in maryland.

i go to pennsylvania annually, pittsburgh annually, kansas city annually, and hit the others on a rotating basis. and they all have their attributes. now taking my personal fave out of the running ( kc ) i can tell you from the perspective of someone "without a dog in the fight", maryland is the best in our region.

LadySeasan

i've been to the PARF, AZRF, and my first faire was the MDRF.  It is hard to compare because each has it's own "thing" but I enjoy the MDRF way more than any other faire, and when I try to drag in non rennies, I drag them to the MDRF first :)
Clan M'Crack-Season M'Crack

Blue66669

I've been to many faires across the country (TRF, Scarby, BARF, TnRF, KyHRF) and plan on seeing a few others in the next couple of years... when I make it to Maryland, I'll let you know how it is LOL!
Blaidd Drwg

xanatos

I've been to many different faires across the country as well(Scarby, NYRF, Bristol, VRF[old and new], Ohio, King Richards in MA) and still have plenty that I'd like to see but haven't had the time yet. My first faire was MD about 20 years ago and I do enjoy many of the acts. I have to agree with others that it's really hard to label one faire the "best".
I think the only faire that I did not find to my liking was King Richards. Perhaps I didn't give it a faire shake as I was much younger then and had been going to VARF(old) nearly every day for the last 3 seasons it was open as it was literally about 6 miles from where I lived.

Lady Neysa

You simply have to attend MDRF in person, experience it for yourself, and form your own opinion. If you like it half as much as the rest of us do, then you'll understand.
My opinion, however biased, is that yes, it is definitely worth the trip and hotel room.  I really can't imagine any rennie being disappointed with MDRF, and I'd be honestly shocked if you were.  The only specific thing I'll say is that I've often heard that our faire boasts more garbed patrons compared to other faires that many have been to. 

Be warned though, if you come in October, first of all, I hope you already have a hotel booked, if not you might have trouble finding one close by.  There are lots of other events that take place in and around Annapolis this time of year.  Also, MDRF has it biggest crowds in October, and I DO mean CROWDED!!  I believe a few years ago, they said their attendance was over 24,000 in a single day, (not the whole weekend.)

If you do come, post here later and tell us what you thought.

Butch

When we lived in VA (Quantico area) from 02-07, we would always make it to the MDRF every year!  Great faire!  The crowd is great, and the shows are fantastic!  I didn't care for the one in PA, and I didn't like the one at the winery in Northern VA.

...but, I REALLY like the one in Kansas City!  The MD is a close second.

Good luck!  Every one has a different flavor/different feel.  Make the most of it!

kcdcchef

Quote from: Butch on August 26, 2009, 10:41:57 AM
When we lived in VA (Quantico area) from 02-07, we would always make it to the MDRF every year!  Great faire!  The crowd is great, and the shows are fantastic!  I didn't care for the one in PA, and I didn't like the one at the winery in Northern VA.

...but, I REALLY like the one in Kansas City!  The MD is a close second.

Good luck!  Every one has a different flavor/different feel.  Make the most of it!

thanks for the kind words about my home faire!!!

i am starting to discover the pennsylvania renaissance faire is an aquired taste. most people that travel to other faires arent overly fond of it.

Scotsman

I have seen this topic come up just about every year and quite frankly it is an unfair question. I hate engaging in the what faire is better discussion. EVERY faire has its own texture (so to speak). Everyone takes away from a faire something different and every faire is great in its own right.

Personally I always feel like nuking these threads but I understand folks want to see how their faire "stacks up" to other. Trust me ... your faire is awesome ... as long as it is awesome to you just like MDRF is awesome because it is beyond belief to me!

My two pence!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Scotsman

Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Damien Ryan

See thats the thing, i didnt start this to flame any faires or anything, i started it because i heard it was one of the best faires there is from someone i met at NYRF! I just wanted to hear some opinions from people who have been to a few faires on the east coast, to let me know if they think this faire would be worth driving 4 hours and spending on a hotel for a weekend.

Its basically is this faire comparable to NYRF and PARF in fun factor or more so, as in should i travel past those faires to experience this one also.

I really don't see how people can think im flaming a faire etc, i love the PARF and NYRF and heard that this one was great, just wanted a few opinions...

Amras Elfwine

Hail, Damien.
I will not "hem" or "haw" about it. That is not my style, as my friends here will tell you...

I understand you question as so: Is this faire comparable to PARF or NYRF as far as the fun factor?

I can only answer thusly: "Yes, only more so".

Cheers, my friend, and hope to see you at MDRF.
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel