News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Woodswoman

Started by Jademozingo, August 19, 2009, 06:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jademozingo

The character I am working on would be an noble, probably poor noble, female that likes archery, hunting, and all sorts of outdoor things.  Possibly with a bit of a warrior edge.  Here's the deal though, I want to wear a skirt... I was considering one of the "divided" skirts, and still be obviously a female. 

Any ideas as far as shape, items (accessories as well), and fabric would be great.  Especially if you have picture referances!

Jade

serenamoonsilver

Quote from: Jademozingo on August 19, 2009, 06:21:00 PM
The character I am working on would be an noble, probably poor noble, female that likes archery, hunting, and all sorts of outdoor things.  Possibly with a bit of a warrior edge.  Here's the deal though, I want to wear a skirt... I was considering one of the "divided" skirts, and still be obviously a female. 

Any ideas as far as shape, items (accessories as well), and fabric would be great.  Especially if you have picture referances!

Jade

What a neat concept.  I imagine that she since she's on the poorer side of things, that as a hunter she probably wears a lot of what she kills---so I'm thinking fur, leather, feathers.  So maybe a leather bodice (something like the Oak Queen from Pendragon.  I also imagine leather bracers or gloves.  A fur cape would probably be too hot (and too expensive) but maybe a fur trimmed cape.  Leather boots too.  She also sounds like the type who'd alwasy have a dagger on her belt.

Manwariel

Elennare

Sadly I have no pictures, but I can describe the skirt I wear for my elven ranger costume.  I think it may be along the lines of what you're looking for.

I have 2 skirts.  One is a very full underskirt, split in 2.  The openings are to the front and back.  If I recall correctly, it's 6 yards of fabric, cut in 2, with the top gathered into a waistband.  Over that I wear a much less full skirt.  It has an opening in the front like the split overskirt from a noble gown.  It also has an opening in the back, and at each side.

The result is pretty full skirts, that are very flowy, but they stay out of my way and allow completely free movement (even for fighting).  I also wear a pair of tights under this, just to make sure I don't show anything I don't want to, and to keep my legs from rubbing together.

I'll try to dig them out and get a picture to show you tonight, but I don't have any right now. 
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Auryn

cool concept
I like the idea of the skirt.
Might need to add that to my ranger character as a dress choice. I bet it would be cooler than pants.

I would go with natural materials- leather, suede, wool etc. Maybe add some more expensive fine details like and expensive broach to keep the cloak on, that kind of thing.

I don't know if any of it falls in line with your thinking but this was my outfit this year. I'm going for ranger/archer also a lower level noble so I have a few finer things.
Definitely a nice dagger or two.

maybe silver tipped bow.

I was thinking... if your character is going to faire she is "going into town" so she might take some care in her appearance, maybe a nice clean shirt under the leather corset.

Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Beaudan Tocks

Auryn: Your garb looks GREAT...   but I don't see any Home Made Ren Boots  ;)
"A chastity belt! That's going to chafe my willy!"

Auryn

Hehe
don't worry  ;), by the next time I don my garb I will have boots.
I am working on making the mold of my feet this weekend. Gotta go buy tall tube socks since I plan on the boots going up to my knee  ;D
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

gem

Well, you're in luck, because you can be completely historically accurate with this character, if you wish!  Noblewomen absolutely DID hunt and shoot and ride along with men, and falconry was considered an appropriately ladylike sport.  And they certainly wore skirts while doing it.  I don't *believe* they wore split skirts in this period, but I may be mistaken on that (and if they were worn, they weren't the norm).  I AM NOT A RIDER, so I may be way off base on the practicality here, but my understanding is that in the Middle Ages, skirts were wide enough for women to ride astride, and by the English Renaissance, the sidesaddle had been invented.  Please check that with someone besides me, though. :)

As for what you'd wear?  Women's clothing wasn't typically made of leather (except for things like gloves), but there are a few examples of men's leather doublets.  I might go with something like a doublet bodice, maybe in wool, with minimum embellishment.  Here's one of my favorites:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/holding/greendoublet.htm

As for materials, linen and wool are always sturdy, serviceable, and accurate.

I *may* have some early period tapestry references of women hunting, but I'm not sure.  It'll take me a bit to hunt them down and get them posted.

Good luck!

dragongirl

What I wear at a noblewoman that is nautical in bent could work for you.  I have a chemise with slashed sleeves that tie at the elbow, I wear extremely wide legged pants/split skirt and over that I wear a second panel skirt that is split on the sides to hide the front split, and a waist cincher in a coordinating color scheme.  I wear a scarf over my hair with a cavalier hat and rope sandals on my feet.  I don't have any pictures at this time, because this outfit is very very new, but every one who saw it loved it. 
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Dev

These are turn-of-the-century, but with a bit of modification (esp the one on the left) it might work.

...a split skirt with a panel over it to look like a full skirt.