News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

My new treasure chest accessory!

Started by Sir. Kindle, July 07, 2009, 07:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir. Kindle

Hello again,

I stumbled across this, rather awesome looking chest and thought it would make a great accessory for my pirate outfit. It dimensions are 9" Long x 4 1/2" Wide x 4 1/2" Deep. I've already placed it on my belt, using my mug frog and think that it fits nicely. It's also more than big enough to hold my camera, cellphone, and other essentials, so it will replacing one of my pouches.

It didn't come with handles on the side, so I ran out to the hardware store and managed to find these lion handles. What do you think?

I'm hoping to have an excuse to put on my pirate outfit in the next month, or so (Pirate themed birthday party for my youngest! ;D), so I will be sure to provide a picture, with this in tow.

renfairephotog

Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

LadyShadow

That is a great find.  Looks wonderful.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Genievea Brookstone

That is really neat looking, where did you find a box like that?
Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

DonaCatalina

What a great find. It looks terrific.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Sir. Kindle

Quote from: Genievea Brookstone on July 07, 2009, 10:26:48 PM
That is really neat looking, where did you find a box like that?

I found it at a tourist gift shop called Pirates Cove. They, of course, sell mostly souvenirs and cheap, gimmicky pirate themed items. However, if you look hard enough, you can find some really cool things there, like this chest. In fact, they had quite the selection of treasure chests. I actually had a hard time deciding which one I wanted. They also have a fairly good selection of flintlocks, which is always nice.

wyckdblyss

That is really cool and a very awesome idea to use it for your camera and phone and such. *starts the wheels turning in my head*...Off to search for a chest...lol
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

bellevivre

REALLY awesome! One suggestion- having experience with that wsort of toggle closure, you might want to replace it with something more toungue/groove or the like- I'm just seeing that slider get knocked and everything falling out...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Sir. Kindle

Quote from: bellevivre on July 09, 2009, 02:04:40 PM
REALLY awesome! One suggestion- having experience with that wsort of toggle closure, you might want to replace it with something more toungue/groove or the like- I'm just seeing that slider get knocked and everything falling out...

You know, I actually thought about this. I have a pouch that has the exact same closure and haven't had any real problems with it yet. However, my pouch doesn't stick out nearly as far as this will, so the potential for bumping things will certainly increase. If I do end up having problems, does anyone have suggestion on where I can find closures? I'd love to take a look at some options.

Thanks for the suggestion!

bellevivre

some sort of antiquey hasp ought to work, with a lock? or maybe that's too much trouble...

You can find lots of iron hardware these days at Lowes, etc...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Sir. Kindle

Quote from: bellevivre on July 09, 2009, 05:26:52 PM
some sort of antiquey hasp ought to work, with a lock? or maybe that's too much trouble...

You can find lots of iron hardware these days at Lowes, etc...

Just wanted to follow up on my chest accessory and let you know how it worked out on my first full day of use. My son had a Pirate themed birthday party, which gave me the perfect setting to wear my outfit. I had my full outfit on for well over 6 hours and I have to say that, over all, the chest worked great! It was quite the conversation piece, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

I did run into a couple problems though, the first being that pesky toggle closure! I was fullish enough to wear all my accouterments, including two flintlocks, while driving to the party location and ended up having to get in and out of the car 4 times before finally leaving the house. Well, it proved to be quite difficult getting in and out of the car this way and the toggle closure ended up opening once, spilling all of the contents out onto the hard driveway (and breaking my beautiful pirate pen >:(). While it was an unusual situation that I probably won't be facing too often at a faire, it was enough to make me start looking for another closure option.

The second, very minor problem I encountered, was trying to balance opening the chest, without spilling out the contents, when using just one hand. I was lucky enough not to spill anything this way the whole day, but I'm not sure if my luck will hold out. Still, as I said, it was a minor inconvenience that I think I can adjust to.

Now, there's a Home Depot fairly close by, so I'll check out what hasps they might have (thank you for the suggestion!), but if anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free to chime in. If you also have ideas for how to search for such things online, please let me know. I've done searches for closures, clasps, hasps, and chest locks, but, so far, haven't had any real luck in finding something that might work.

Thanks,

Sir. Kindle