News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wanting to Plan Proposal at RenFaire NY

Started by TheNJBen, August 20, 2009, 08:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNJBen

Hello,

I have never been to the NY Ren Faire and any other for that matter but my girlfriend and I are planning to attend the NY one in September.  I am hoping  that I can plan a proposal at such an event ... but to really pull something special off I will need the help of others. So does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on if and how such an event can be planned?  My goal is to make is exceptionally memorable for her and something for other fairgoers to cheer about. 

Ben

Cormac

Many faires have a person that cordinates weddings.  It might be worth contacting them in advance to see if they can offer ideas on how to pop the question.  Trumpets and a herald are a good place to start. 

stonebiscuit

I've seen this done many, many times (including my own proposal); let me see if I can help.

If the faire has it, pub sing or a similar end-of-day show/gathering is great place to do it. Speak to the pub master/mistress as early as you can--if you can get in touch with the entertainment director and find out who that person is in advance, they can be of help. Similarly, if you two have a favorite or special show/act, talk to them (well in advance!) about helping you out. Most of them will probably be glad to help. If someone does help you, obviously it would be nice to show your appreciation with a positive email to management and a gratuitity. :)

Some proposals I've seen include wooing contests between one or two entertainers and the "randomly selected" patron who naturally wins, knight in shining armor rescues (I've seen two of these: in one the lady was to be arrested for being more beautiful than the queen, which was punishable by 1,000,000,000 years in prison, and her now-husband offered himself in her place if she would but agree to marry him; in another, the Village Protest Singer was to be arrested by the king and his guards, but her now-husband showed up dressed as Robin Hood [I think he also had some friends with him?] and fought them back), and my proposal, where my super-introverted musician husband got up in front of everybody at pub sing and told the story of his long search for the greatest treasure in all the land (to wit: me).

Lady_Claira

If you want it to be a big deal, there is a phone number at the bottom of the NYRF website that might help you get into contact with the right staff members. You might also look into the different members of the "Friends of Faire" as they might also know who to talk to.

As for the how to make it special? I don't think a robin hood idea would work because Robin Hood is very much so a character in the story at this faire. Though you might be able to do something at pub sing or one of the acts that you might like.

Another option - are you a rogue (as in part of the IBRSC)? I only recently learned what rogue-ing is. If you are a rogue, maybe gather a group of rogues together to Rogue your girlfriend with you going last and propose to her then. It would definitely be really cute (I think)

If you want to get in touch with the wedding coordinators for their advice on how to set up the proposals, I can get you their contact information as it is in the faire's program (which I have from when I went earlier this season)
You see this training pin? It could be yours. You could learn all about wenches! And that's a promise! - My friend Mike

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: TheNJBen on August 20, 2009, 08:24:23 PM
Hello,

I have never been to the NY Ren Faire and any other for that matter but my girlfriend and I are planning to attend the NY one in September.  I am hoping  that I can plan a proposal at such an event ... but to really pull something special off I will need the help of others. So does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on if and how such an event can be planned?  My goal is to make is exceptionally memorable for her and something for other fairgoers to cheer about. 

Ben

Hey Ben,

Looks like you got some great tips already here :)  If you want to try and involve the cast somehow then it's a good idea to call ahead if you can't be there in person to make the arrangements. 

Pub sings as mentioned, is another way, if you don't mind being in the spotlight in front of dozens of people that is. 

You could also come to the Friends of Faire Garden on the Queens Highway when you arrive at the faire, some of us maybe able to help you arrange something - or introduce you to the right NYRF person to speak with.

-Brother Robert

robin35051

To NJBen,
I am the co-director of NYRF pubsing.  While we have (and do) occasionally do "proposals" it is generally either fellow cast members or regulars at our faire so that our audience is involved (ie. they know the participants)  I saw earlier in the post the possibility of setting up a "rougueing".  Speaking from experience, our rougues are exceptional!  They rougued me on the closing day of my 25th season at NYRF and it left me in tears (in a good way!)  To set something up, I would recommend you speak with Harold at House of Dra (it is a clothing booth right off Greenfield Common).  You would need to ask him early in the day to be able to set something like that up.  If you want something more elaborate you will need to speak to faire management.  Wanda Carr is our assistant general manager and in charge of weddings.  The office number is 845-351-5171.  Good luck!!!

Damien Ryan

My advice, if you have never been to faire, and her either...nix the idea at propose somewhere that she will find romantic. 

TheodensQueen

My ex proposed to me on the bridge near the flushing privies.  It's the kissing bridge--you're supposed to kiss when you go over it.  Very romantic.  There's people around but not the center-of-attention-embarrassing amount of people.

crimsonbrewer

thanks Theodonsqueen that is one of the places i am thinking about

crimsonbrewer

just wanted to let you all know the proposal is on, and will be done opening day at NYRF with the washing well wenches first show of the day. so if you wish to witness my short proposal make sure you are there