News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

decided to learn an instrument

Started by duffy, August 21, 2009, 09:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duffy

i have never played an instrument before. i dont even know how to read music as of yet, although it seems easy enough. so i googled some instruments i was interested in and after reading some blogs on medieval pipes and bagpipes, i am starting with the recorder. yeah i know its a cheesy instrument but its easy to learn. i will use this to learn to read music and my fingering. it will help me move up to the medieval pipe which is fingered the same. from there i am thinking the medieval smallpipes bagpipe, also using the same fingering style. i will let you know how i progress. wish me luck, i am musically challenged but motivated at this piont.

batninja

I, too, have decided to take up an instrument.  I play piano and trumpet, but wanted to learn a wind or stringed instrument to bring to faire.  I've decided to go with the bamboo pennywhistle for now. 

Found tons of good info here:
http://www.eriktheflutemaker.com/

Best of luck!
It ain't the years, it's the mileage.

duffy

he plays awesome and they sound great. i figured i would start with the recorder just for the fingering similarity between it and the other instruments i mentioned as well as the rauschpfeife. i figured the recorder is easy to learn, at least thats what they say and it could lead to so much more.

LadySeasan

while at the MDRF, I learned that I have a natural talent with playing the psaltery. the owner of the shop said i have a weird memory because i can play the song after you show me, or tell me the notes by the letters (d,f,d,f, e, a, ect) but i cannot for the life of me read music.

i am seriously considering purchasing one before the close of the ren fair season :)
Clan M'Crack-Season M'Crack

duffy

Quote from: LadySeasan on August 30, 2009, 07:09:12 PM
while at the MDRF, I learned that I have a natural talent with playing the psaltery. the owner of the shop said i have a weird memory because i can play the song after you show me, or tell me the notes by the letters (d,f,d,f, e, a, ect) but i cannot for the life of me read music.

i am seriously considering purchasing one before the close of the ren fair season :)

i say go for it. it can only be a good thing to learn an instrument, especially one that is rare. as for reading music, before last week i had no clue, i understand it now, its pretty easy. i just have to get more familiar with it so i can read it faster. i am progressing well with my playing. still learning fingerings. the hardest part for me seems to be holding the note the right amount of time depending weather it is a whole, half, quarter or eigth note. cant get that 1 2 3 4 thing down while i am trying to do everything else. practice practice practice i guess. i think wind instruments are a little harder in the note length aspect cause you dont just pluck a string or push a key, you have to blow for the correct amount of time. good luck and go for it.

replicant

Duffy,

You could always go with the scottish pipe style fingering, and start out with a practice chanter which is sorta like a recorder. with that style of fingering you'll be able to play Scottish Smallpies, Border Pipes, and if you're feeling like a masochist (which i am) the highland bagpipe as well. you should also be able to find a local teacher to help out as well when transitioning over to a bag, which can be quite a challenge. Just setting the dang things up can be a challenge as well .. here's a pic of me and my mouth blown scottish smallpipes in D which have a "medieval" look to them:

http://www.huzzahthemovie.com/smallpipes.jpg

Picture is a little blurry, but hey, it was a camera phone ;-) should have some video online in the next month or so ..

Prof. John Bull

Quote from: duffy on August 21, 2009, 09:03:29 AM
i am starting with the recorder. yeah i know its a cheesy instrument but its easy to learn.

wish me luck, i am musically challenged but motivated at this piont.

1) Start out with a good quality plastic recorder with the standard English (also called Baroque) fingering (not the "German" fingering that the really cheap school recorders use).  I have Aulos recorders which are fine to start out with.  Yamaha also makes nice ones.

2) Unless you have small hands you will probably want to start out with an alto recorder, not the soprano one that they use to teach school children.  It is louder, easier to play, and has more possibilities.  You can get a nice Aulos alto recorder for around $40.

3) Consider that the lowest notes are hardest to play so avoid music that requires them, at least at first.

4) Recorders aren't a cheesy instrument.  You can spend $1000 on a nice new recorder without trying very hard, and there are people who take them extremely seriously.  That doesn't mean you have to take them seriously, but don't write them off as mere toys.  They're not.

Deckard And Zhora

Starting with the recorder is a great way to introduce yourself to an instrument! I am an elementary school music teacher and will be teaching my 4th and 5th graders recorder this year. I can be a great instrument without a HUGE price commitment. One decent website I know of for learning how to read musice is musictheory.net. They have lessons and it's pretty basic and easy to follow. Good luck and if you get stuck you can always PM me!