News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wanting to Plan a Marriage Proposal at the NY Ren Faire

Started by TheNJBen, August 20, 2009, 08:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNJBen

Hello all,

I am new to this board and never actually been to a Ren Faire.  That said, my girfriend and I are planning at attend the NY Faire in September where I would like to plan something special to pop the question.  She is a very special girl and deserves something memorable, and I would love something that would be entertaining to other fair goers.  I realize I can not do this alone so I am here asking for help if setting up something is even possible.

Thanks to all for any help!
Ben

LadyShadow

As I have no ideas to help with this.  Best of luck with your proposal.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Dinobabe

My main advice would be to make sure that the two of you have discussed that you want to get married and are both in agreement.  Some of the worst surprise proposals I have seen is when the proposal is truly a surprise! :o

You might want to disguise the proposal as a rouging with you as the last rouge.  They usually draw large crowds!  I'm afraid I can't go into details but maybe some of our rouges could help you out.  If someone here knows a performer or cast member you might even be able to do it on stage if the act includes an audience member.  I would also try calling the faire office.  They may have done this before.  Good luck! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Charlotte Rowan

I witnessed a GREAT proposal at MNRF last year. It was at the beginning of one of the Danger Committee's shows. They are a juggling/knife throwing act. They do this one trick where one of the guys rests a cucumber on his upturned wrist, and the other guys throws a knife, slicing the cucumber. Yikes! I saw the show many times as I worked at a stand right next to it, and always thought this trick was a bit scary, especially as this was their first year performing it. Well, at the start of one show, I noticed they were doing something different. They asked for 2 audience members, a couple, to help them out. When they selected the couple from amongst the volunteers, the couple were asked to hold hands and rest the cucumber on their clasped hands. Now, as I said, I always thought this trick was dangerous, and I was very surprised, and a bit scared, that they were having audience members participate. I was even more scared when the knife thrower asked the couple, "Before I perform this trick, in case it goes wrong, do you have anything you want to say?" Of course, everyone laughed. The woman replied, "nope, I'm good." The man said, "I have something to say," pulled out a ring, and proceeded to propose. :) It was really well done, she said yes, the audience clapped and cheered, and I was VERY relieved that they weren't actually going to make the couple participate in this most dangerous stunt!

Anyway, I know that's not particularly helpful, since the Danger Committee doesn't perform in NY. Thought the story might give you some ideas though. Good luck!
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

My advice  ......................

RUN !!
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

Lairde Guardn

I have not see it done yet, but I always thought a romantic way would be to try to get the jousters involved.   

At the end of one of the shows, have the winning jouster approach the couple with his lance, on the end of it hanging from a ribbon is the ring. 

This is when you need to make your own speach
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

TheNJBen

Those were some great ideas.  First of all, yes she knows that a proposal is coming.  She knows that it will be coming but not when.  Her family has a history of some memorable proposals ... one even having to dive into a bay to same someone from drowning just as he was starting to propose.  If I can work something out with one of the performers that would be amazing.  I am choosing the Ren Faire because her family is big on nicknames and when we first started dating she kept talking about me to her family so they nicknamed me Prince Charming.  I will email the faire office maybe they can help. Of course this forum is definately up for suggestions!

Adriana Rose

yea I would  defiantly do that! Make sure you get the Entertainment Director they are the best bet on getting some fun things planned out!

Oh and Congrats!

and after the proposal goes down you had better post pictures and a good story!