News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Galveston, Dickens on The Strand

Started by Zardoz, August 24, 2009, 11:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zardoz

Just a heads up, mark your calenders for the first weekend in December, 12/5-6/09 for the 36th Annual Galveston Dickens on The Strand Victorian fest. See ya' there!

http://www.galvestonhistory.org/Dickens_Overview.asp

"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

cowgrrl

How hard would it be to get a hotel room at the last minute for Friday & Saturday night?  If we're able to go it will be a very last minute decision & we'd need a room.  Thanks!

Zardoz

We live about an hour away, so I've never delt with hotels for that weekend.  While I know a lot of vendors come in from out of town, I'd guess most of the patrons day-trip it like we do.
I know the couple of hotels in the Strand distict do fill up. Stuff farther away might not.   Just to be careful, I'd reserve a room and just cancel it if you can't go, most hotels want 48 hour notice, so I guess it depends on your idea of 'last minute'?
You can see some info here; http://www.galveston.com/islandhotels/
IBRSC# 1619,

dbaldock

Quote from: cowgrrl on August 30, 2009, 05:57:57 PM
How hard would it be to get a hotel room at the last minute for Friday & Saturday night?  If we're able to go it will be a very last minute decision & we'd need a room.  Thanks!

Do you mean getting a Hotel Room on Galveston Island?  You might try checking some of the Hotel Booking web sites.

I live about 25 miles north of Galveston (near NASA), and there are certainly Hotel Rooms available around here.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Zardoz

IBRSC# 1619,

raevyncait

I'm actually heading down on Thursday morning to help friends with final prep and such for the birthday dinner they have on Saturday night each year during the festival. During Rogues shows, that will be the place to find me... At least on Saturday. Sunday is a bit up in the air as I've got the airport run for some friends, whose flight leaves at 4 something.

Saturday
Crystal Palace Stage 11:30-12:00(location to be determined)

Windsor Castle Stage 2:00-2:30 (22nd & Strand)

Sunday
Westminster Abby Stage 1:30-2:00 (in Sangerfest Park 23rd & Strand)

Crystal Palace Stage 3:30-4:00 (location to be determined)

Other than that, I'll be wandering about looking at shoppes, though purchasing is pretty much out for me this year since I'm still not working.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Zardoz

Well, how about if any R/F folks want to meet up at Dickens, let's do it at the 2 o'clock Rogues show? Windsor Castle Stage, near 22nd & Strand 2:00 PM.
IBRSC# 1619,

raevyncait

Quote from: Zardoz on November 30, 2009, 10:47:09 AM
Well, how about if any R/F folks want to meet up at Dickens, let's do it at the 2 o'clock Rogues show? Windsor Castle Stage, near 22nd & Strand 2:00 PM.

Count me in... will have to see if I can get into my totes that have my garb and get my R/F pin out before I leave...
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

dbaldock

I'm planning to buy one of the "$9 in Advance" tickets at Krogers this week, and drive down to DoTS on Saturday.

I won't be in costume, I'll probably be in black slacks, black shirt, black shoes, and carrying a black Nikon D90.   ;)  :D
(If it's cool, I may be wearing a grey tweed British Driving Cap, and possibly a green windbreaker.)

See Ya' There!

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

dbaldock

Well, I made it to DoTS at about 1:00 PM, and wandered around looking for anyone I recognized.  Stopped awhile to listen to and visit with Donal Hinely, one of the musicians.

I believe I saw two people who looked familiar from the forums.

One was this lady in blue:
(This is a shot from TRF that was posted by Zardoz in the Ladies of RenFair thread.)

I paused for a couple of minutes near her, looking in the area to see if Zardoz was around, but didn't see him.

The other was Valt, if he's about 6'8" tall.  Think I saw him towering over a group of people that he was talking with.

Due to the Parade, I was late getting to the Windsor Castle Stage, and missed the gathering there.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Taffy Saltwater

I really wanted to get out to DotS today, but had to assist my mom w/a jewelry show.  Is anyone planning to be there on Sunday?
Sveethot!

Clarendon

Did anyone take photos of Dickens on The Strand this year? If so, do you have a post for them on the web?
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

KiltedPrivateer

I took a bunch of the parade.  I'm uploading all of my pictures today, including TRF.  I'll edit this post when I've gotten them uploaded.
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

FaeHollow

David- My friends and I ran into Valt and walked around with him for a while and we ran into KiltedPrivateer and Zardoz as well. There were a few of us r/f ers running around out there it would seem!
Leigh

raevyncait

Honestly, I didn't run into anyone I hadn't already set up some sort of a plan with, and while I was at the 2 pm Rogues show yesterday afternoon, I got a wee bit distracted & the meet up plan went KERFLOOOEY right out my left ear! :( It was, however pretty well attended, from what I saw, especialy in light of the predictions of bad roads, etc. I didn't get very many photos, but will have them up in a couple of days.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Zardoz

IBRSC# 1619,

Clarendon

KiltedPrivateer

Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

LadyElizabeth

Hey, I'm in both sets of pics!  I'll post mine as soon as I download them tonight...  We went both Sat and Sun and had a blast!!  Dickens is such a unique festival, and this year we were invited to walk in the parade by the Princess of the festival and a few of the official Queen's guardsmen.  It was quite grand!!
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

valt

Chianti

We had a blast and these pictures are great!

Clarendon

LadyElizabeth

Here are a few pics from Dickens on the Strand:

Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate