News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Men's Costume Help...please?

Started by Witchhawk, August 27, 2009, 09:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witchhawk

A need a few suggestions and comments if anyone would be so kind. I am male - and my costume so far (that I have) consists of a black, waist-length doublet over a white waist-length shirt, black tights, and knee high boots. What I am having trouble with is somewhere to carry "stuff" (cigs, wallet, etc). I don't know that a belt/pouch would go with this costume or not, since the doublet and shirt are only waist length.

Also, is it "proper" for a man to wear tights with the waist length doublet at all? In all of the pictures I have seen, men wearing tights have longer coats/doublets/garb.

Any input will be appreciated, I could attach a pic if that would help out here. Thanks!!!

WH

Witchhawk

http://witchhawk.com/DoubletPics.aspx is where you can find some pics of the outfit, if you are so inclined! Thanks again!

WH

Beaudan Tocks

I think it would look GREAT with a Black Leather belt and a pouch similar to one of these http://renleather.com/plugins/MivaMerchants/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PO-LRG  Nice Garb my Friend... Well Met Sir
"A chastity belt! That's going to chafe my willy!"

Witchhawk

Thank you so much for the compliment! So you're saying that a belt worn 'tween the doublet and the tights is acceptable? More or less like an ordinary belt would be worn (like on jeans)?

Be Well
WH

Butch

I wear a belt under my doublet.  My doublet only has the top 1, 2, or 3 buttons buttoned.  It hangs open from about the chest down, and allows easy access to my belt.  Paraphrasing Ms Armold "Only a fogey would button their doublet all the way down!"

Beaudan Tocks

I've seen it both ways...  In fact our King & Prince, here at MN Ren Fest, both wear a belt Over their doublets.  If you're going to have a pouch hanging off of your belt I would think Over the Doublet would look better...  you wouldn't have the doublet bunching up over the top of the pouch.
"A chastity belt! That's going to chafe my willy!"

Sir Sebastian Phoenix

I wear a belt over my doublet, because with my sword it is irritating to wear under.

I've seen several people wear it both ways...it's really your choice
Sir Sebastian Phoenix
Baron of the Black Plains
Commander of the Bradwei Eights
Lt in their Majesties Royal Guard

gem

That outfit looks SMASHING!!  Is that you in it? 

I think it would look absolutely fine with a belt and pouch.  I vote for OVER; I think under would look sloppy and destroy the clean lines of that ensemble.  You could also wear a thinner, closer-fitting belt, which would have been common in period, and would look much less obtrusive.

Witchhawk

Quote from: gem on August 27, 2009, 12:42:39 PM
That outfit looks SMASHING!!  Is that you in it? 

::) (blushing) Thank you so much, and yes it is me wearing it.

A belt over the doublet would place the belt somewhere in the vicinity of my rib cage? Maybe I'll try it that way tonight. Trying to get ready for MD RennFest opening day Saturday!

WH

Butch

Check out this link to the KC Renfest http://www.kcrenfest.com/Performer/2009CastList.html near the bottom, under the Yeomanry category, you'll see links to individuals that have similar costumes as your own.  Most have the belt outside, it does look more dapper!  Check these out for some ideas.

Good luck and have fun!

gem

I would put the belt right where the tabs/skirting starts.  It looks like that's right about at your natural waist (which is higher than you probably wear your mundane pants, so, yeah: a little higher than you'd probably normally wear your belt.  Clothes in period fit closer to the natural waist than modern mundanes. :)).

Witchhawk

Thanks all, esp. Butch & Gem! I tried it on last night with the only costume belt that I own and I think it will work out. It did end up laying just about about where Gem suggested, just above the skirting.
Of course my belt is wide and black, and was one of those long belts with a ring to fasten. The thing dangled almost to the floor! That was easily fixed. One more question - how would a thinner, brown belt & pouch look? I'd kinda like to break up the black somehow. I feel like a Renaissance version of Johnny Cash wearing nothing but black!

(thinking out loud, my tankard & strap are brown, so maybe just replace the black pouch with a brown one and keep the black belt...or work some silver in somewhere...)

Anyway, thanks for all of your suggestions, compliments, and links to photos. You all have been great!

WH

Gauwyn of Bracknell

With the shorter doublet I would think a thinner belt would be better, also one that does not have much hanging down.

Just my $.01 (couldn't afford more - the economy you know :) )
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell