News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Costume Weapons at Faire

Started by Witchhawk, August 28, 2009, 09:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witchhawk

I was just curious, since so many of you travel to Faires in other States, what are other Faires' rules on carrying costume weapons? Is MD the only one that does not allow this?

I understand the reasoning behind the rule, but still - any self-respecting Renaissance man carried a weapon, especially a Musketeer(not entirely historically accurate, but you get the point). I think that a sword, or at the least a bladeless sword handle attached to a scabbard, would greatly add some flair to most costumes/garb.

Opinions?

WH

masterrayvne

I've only been to 2 in the states and they were in Ohio.....but I think MD could be the only weapons-free one....unfortunately....there is something about strapping on your side irons....completes the costume.   :(

Amras Elfwine

Fellows, I'm going to move this topic to the weapons section, a better place for it.
Thanks for you participation!
Amras
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

Witchhawk

Thank you, Sir Moderator. So many topics, so little time!

WH

Count Adolfo

I go to Faires all over the place... and no, MD is not the only one that doesn't allow weapons but it is very much in the minority.
Most Faires allow weaponry but require they be "peace-tied"

Witchhawk

I remember the first time that I went to MD's faire, and I had a sword - actually a cheap rapier. I had drilled a small hole through the blade near the hilt and a corresponding hole through the scabbard. By inserting a pin the sword could not be drawn from the scabbard. They checked it out pretty thoroughly at the gate and let it pass. The following year I had the same setup but I had to walk it all the way back to the car. Nowadays I don't even bother, but I truly wish that peace-tied costume weapons would be permitted again in Maryland. I guess maybe they don't want the drunks at the taverns getting in to swordfights?

WH

Count Adolfo

many a rumour have I heard of their reasoning, but no stock in such babble do I place
rather, I respect their sovereignty and right to impose such rules upon their guests for, in the end, that is precisely what I am...
their guest.

I, personally,  typically have a swept hilt rapier on my waist.  After all, one of my station would scarcely walk the streets of any town with no guards and no blade to boot... but I MUST go on record saying this:

Revel Grove is a place well worth the sacrifice... a place so well-stocked with friends and frivolity that the blade is scarcely missed.

BLAKDUKE

I will not start this whole thing again as I have  waxed eloquently on it many times before.  However what I will say is that I went to MDRF when it was in Columbia and they had a fencing corral there with a very experienced master at arms.  He and I put on a bout that ended up as sword and daggar and drew a crowd of substantial proportions.  After inspecting my blade and finding it to be more that adequate he let me use for the bout.  Of course that was over 26 years ago and I was a lot more limber and mobile than I am now.  Needless to say I do not attend MDRF any more since they began adopting this no weapons policy.  KCRF and BARF also do not allow weapons and hence are on the boycott list.  Sterling and Michigan used to prohibit weapons and now allow them.  It is my opinion that they have listened to the criticism and taken heed, although I do not know that for a fact.   I understand my good friend Count Adolpho's opinion and respect it.  However once a stand has been taken, to go back on it is like trying to unring a bell.  The ones I have mentioned are the only ones I know that are weaponless, but check the websites of the faires that you plan to go to and it will usually state what the weapons policy is.  Decide from there.  
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

NoBill Lurker

Actually BARF started to allow weapons as of last season!  ;D  HUZZAH!
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

escherblacksmith

MNRF and AZRF still allow (although I haven't been to AZRF for a couple of years).  but they have to be zip-tied now. 

I'd probably still get in a snit if someone said I couldn't wear a blade, but, frankly, I don't wear one much anymore.  too much of a pain on site.  Now, if I could get into an impromptu set-to, well, that would be different.

--

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: NoBill Lurker on October 12, 2009, 07:55:31 PM
Actually BARF started to allow weapons as of last season!  ;D  HUZZAH!

Now that is a positive note.......

HUZZAH INDEED

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: escherblacksmith on October 13, 2009, 08:04:42 AM
If I could get into an impromptu set-to, well, that would be different.

I don't know of any others, but that is the one thing I like about the GARF faire, especially on opening weekend when the temperature is cool.  They have a fully staffed and I might add expert crew of fencers who operate the fencing corral.  There in you can engage any of the staff and if you prove worthy enough then the master at arms will bout with you.  In my younger days I was able to dabble a bit in exercise but these days I am just content to watch, although I do have to admit, the urge to step in and fence is somewhat hard to resist.  Other faires used to have this also, Sterling, when Adam Crown was the master at arms.  MDRF as I have already mentioned.  Also Pennsylvania way back when, I am not sure about now.   Some faires have jousting tournaments, would it not be interesting to have a fencing/dueling tournament at some faire.  All in garb, and only for the most proficient fencers.  Now that would be an event to see.   

Brian Green Knight

MDRF is my home fair and is not exactly "consistent" with their enforcement of the no weapon
policy. I do carry what I refer to my Maryland Special while I am garbed as a Knight. The
"weapon" is a long sword with the blade cut off and permanently epoxied into the scabbard. It
will sometimes be scrutinized by newer security folks at the season pass holder's gate but the
attendants know me well enough by now that it isn't a problem. I've even had the undercover
police stop me and ok the setup.

As per Witchhawk's method:
QuoteI had drilled a small hole through the blade near the hilt and a corresponding hole through the scabbard.
...Isn't considered permanently affixed enough to suit most of the security folks scrutiny.

And yet I've seen some patrons sneak in with a virtual arsenal of weapons, just a month ago I spoke
with one older man who was carrying a Scottish claymore, axe and dagger all without peace ties!  :o
So yes the consistency is severely lacking. I would seriously like to see Maryland's weapon policy
change but then again Maryland Fair is the only fair where I have on more than a couple of occasions
been accosted by drunken college/teenagers.  :-\
and yes Maryland's drinking age is 21!  ;)

Nobody wants him, he just stares at the world. Planning his vengeance, that he will soon unfold. - Iron Man

madmanpsu

I understand and respect the reasoning for the weapon policy at MdRF, although I also disagree with it.  I have seen various walking sticks and staffs allowed in that are far more dangerous than any properly peace tied weapon.  In today's world of litigation and insurance rules, how much longer will the majority of faires continue to allow weapons, peace tied or otherwise.  I spoke earlier this year with one of the management people at PaRF, my home faire, and she told me they are one minor incident away from having to disallow weapons for insurance reasons.  This worries me, as my personae is that of a soldier and when in armor, not being armed severly detracts from the period feel.  As has been mentioned before, no self respecting gentleman would walk the streets of any town without some weapon or means of defense.  I am also disturbed by the prominence of alcohol that I see at faires.  As Sir Brian has mentioned, I  have also been accosted by drunken attendees who wish to test the strength of my armor.  This sort of behavior certainly contributes to the problems with weapons at faire.  I'm by no means opposed to drinking at faire, but better judgement by the servers should be exercised. 

Don Giovanni de' Medici

Quote from: Witchhawk on August 28, 2009, 09:22:14 AM

I understand the reasoning behind the rule, but still - any self-respecting Renaissance man carried a weapon, especially a Musketeer(not entirely historically accurate, but you get the point). I think that a sword, or at the least a bladeless sword handle attached to a scabbard, would greatly add some flair to most costumes/garb.

While that may have been true historically, we do not all grow up using and respecting these weapons today in the same manner as they used to.  I think weapons, while great wardrobe enhancements are great to allow as long as they stay sheathed as just that, a costume piece.  Now if you are trained AND approved to fight with a weapon in a designated place by the shows management, I am all for that as well.  There is just a line between the two.
Sincero,

Don Giovanni de' Medici
Ambasciatore del Granducato della Toscana
"Dio conserva il Papa"